Arthur L. Johnson High School is an above average, public school located in Clark, NJ. It has 769 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 20% of students are at least proficient in math and 56% in reading.
Arthur L. Johnson High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B53 Students
- A53 Students
- B+42 Students
- A41 Students
- B-36 Students
- B+34 Students
- A29 Students
- B+23 Students
- A+22 Students
- B22 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
- Crime & SafetyA-
- Cost of LivingC-
- Good for FamiliesB+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.11 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.11 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 35 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.15 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.Take our survey
More opinions are needed!
Write a review to add yours.Review Arthur L. Johnson High School
Schools like Arthur L. Johnson High School
- A-Cedar Grove High School
- Cedar Grove Township School District, NJ
- 118 reviews
- B+Spotswood High School
- Spotswood Public Schools, NJ
- 108 reviews
- A-James Caldwell High School
- Caldwell-West Caldwell Public Schools, NJ
- 102 reviews
- B+Tottenville High School
- New York City Geographic District No. 31, NY
- 489 reviews
Arthur L. Johnson High School Reviews
Good supportive teachers, although one on one office hours are hard to obtain. Some teachers rush subjects and teach what they feel neccisarry just to pass a student. Clubs are not very active and athletics are decent with dedicated coaches. The guidance staff are very helpful and will develop a relationship with each and every student, they're possibly the best asset to the school. The students display rude behavior and racist attitude toward students of other race, making a school day possibly intimidating. Otherwise a good school dedicated to preparing a student for the future and a good teacher/student ratio.
When I came to ALJ a couple years ago, the community welcomed me with open arms and I immediately felt like I belonged here. The students are overall pretty open-minded but like every school, there is always those couple closed-minded individuals as well. Most of the teachers are overall excellent and care about their students. The sports are decent overall, but unfortunately, there is some favoritism with certain teams and people. There is an ample amount of clubs and activities at this school, but I wish there was a little bit more clubs. The school is not exactly diverse either, but people are accepting of the few minorities here. The school definitely prepares you for college, and they really push that on the students, and sometimes it is a bit too much (especially with certain subjects). Even though there is some flaws with this school, I would definitely come back here again in a heartbeat.
Arthur L. Johnson is am excellent school to ready you for post-secondary education. They push you to challenge yourself so that you are ready to apply to any college you wish to!