Art & Design High School Reviews

I love this school. I've truly came out of my shell thanks to this school. Everyone is so different and yet so accepting. Especially the faculty. I truly had a great experience in Art and Design.
Art and Design is a wonderful, quirky, and loving school. The teachers have all had experience and they are as funny as the students. This school is very accepting and open to all types of people no matter race, gender, or sexuality, and it offers excellent opportunities for people to go to conventions and sell their art such as mocca fest and comic con. Though the principal can be strict on implementing DOK and accountable talk as well as people who can teach in this type of manner, most teachers are good at what they do and help you get the resources you need in order to be successful.
the school is a great school, although core classes such as english maths and sciences are not much more focused than the art classes.
Start Your Review of Art & Design High School
Art & Design isn't exactly known for consistency. There's a clear lack of communication between staff and it shows through our academic classes. Some teachers here (mostly the art teachers) are really amazing and genuinely love their job, but most of the academic teachers seem lost most of the time. I have a particular teacher for "Creative Writing" who didn't know she was teaching a creative writing elective until the second week of school. Even though our art teachers are great, unlike the website claimed when I applied your major doesn't seem to help you build your college portfolio at all.

If you've been in disorganized high schools and don't mind them, go right ahead. However, know you're not getting anything exceptional outside of some resources from the art program. The counselors (especially for seniors) aren't really helpful with communicating with students or getting them to their goal credits for their ideal college. So, pick your poison really.
Excellent resources for those interested in various forms of the arts. Lots of AP classes to. Wish they had more to select from. Inspirational settings since it is located in a new building. Located in the heart of New York City Design Center. Some teachers go above and beyond to make the learning experience exceptional. Wish they had more sports teams to join. Awesome internship positions available due to the various connections the school has.
Attending this school help me navigate what I want to do for my future. I came into the school wanting to pursue photography, while still having an interest for fashion. However a teacher from the fashion department saw something in me that I didn’t see within myself and it lead me to pursing fashion on a high level.
We were given a head start in the world of careers within tech and/or design. The environment was entirely inclusive and diverse which allowed exposure to all sorts of people and cultures, this has benefited me socially now that I'm older.
A&D has good programs for the arts. I just wish that we could integrate projects between majors more.
This school offers a unique combination of the arts, academics and real world experience. Students have opportunities to engage in a variety of fields when choosing an art major to pursue for three years. Such fields include, but are not limited to, fashion, graphic design, architecture and/or film. Through internships, competitions, and use of guest speakers, Art and Design enables its students to forge a connection between their work and its application to the real world. Recently, our school has strengthened its emphasis on academics by implementing a more accessible AP classes program. This gives students an easier opportunity to challenge themselves and gain a higher education. However, this school would not receive a perfect rating from me as it tends to be disorganized at times which makes things difficult for students and staff.
This school has provided me with 4 years worth of experience, friendship and excellence. I learned so much about the art industry, and that it is easy if you love what you do. I learned to not sell myself short and to be nice to everyone I meet, as well as learning the necessary skills to make me a competitive worker in the field when I go off on my own in the real world.
People there are nice, friendly and accepting. Most of the staff is very helpful but others are not. The school is disorganized but also confusing at the same time.
Calvin Klein graduated here and inspires many others. This school allows you to choose a major and expand your knowledge and options for that major. While art and design is an arts school they also take pride in their educational courses. They have language programs as well as AP classes. Art and design makes sure students know the value of the arts and learn about how art can be not only used as beauty but as a movement. Students will learn everything a regular high school can give you along with extra class AND teach students art and its value.
Art and Design is one of the best art schools in NYC. The school doesn't discriminate against any kids. The school has a friendly atmosphere.
When I started in this school in 2014 it was really good and fun. Now I cannot wait to leave. The teachers are cool but the administration is trash. The only good thing about this school is the Art and creativity and diversity.
I like my school because all people are very kind, respectful. It's a great atmosphere and I really do not regret being in that school, on the contrary I feel lucky.
Art and Design high school has a wide variety of majors which is one of the best features of this school. All of these majors are related to art in some way such as Photography, Illustration, Animation, and so on.
Instead of focusing more on art, there is more focus on academics. I'd like art and design to be creative again, along with hiring teachers that can do their job right.
Start Your Review of Art & Design High School
4/5 Stars
Throughout my 4 years at Art and Design High School, I can say that it was one of the best decisions. Although they are mainly an art based school, academics are still very important. They offer a variety of sports like Volleyball, Basketball, Bowling, Fencing etc. They also have a variety of majors like Fashion, Cartooning, Illustration, Animation, Architecture, Film, Photography and Graphic Design. The school makes sure that everyone is treated fairly and equally. If you have any disabilities (Learning/Physical) they try their best to adhere to your needs. When it comes to college readiness they counselors work with you every step of the way to ensure you get to where you want to be.
Although the school can be a bit unorganized, you won't get the experience in any other school. Attending an art school you get to meet so many different people of different races, ideas, and talents.
Had a great experience here, even though I changed my major, I learned a lot about myself and my goals!