Arkansas City High School is a public school located in Arkansas City, KS. It has 798 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 12% of students are at least proficient in math and 22% in reading.
Arkansas City High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C+88 Students
- B-62 Students
- A50 Students
- A37 Students
- B+28 Students
- B+26 Students
- A26 Students
- A20 Students
- B14 Students
- B13 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 25 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.14 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.14 responses
Arkansas City High School Reviews
Pretty average considering the location of the school. There are a few teachers who are passionate about teaching, but they are overshadowed by the overwhelming apathy. Without the desire for achievement in the majority, the school only drags everyone down to the same unenthusiastic crawl by the time they complete high school. It's ironic that some of the most popular ideas are lackluster and the less popular are strong. The technology is also laughable. There's a definite attempt to implement technology, but it's just an attempt.
Arkansas City High School, overall, is a pretty decent school. It provides students with what they need, but almost everything is average. In my opinion, there isn't much that makes ACHS stand out. However, the one thing I am extremely happy with at the school is the teachers. Most, if not all, truly care for their students, not just their grades, but their well-being too. The teachers are very personable and are their for the student if need be.
This high school is average in most areas. Where it is below average is in the opportunities available for high achieving students (AP classes are not offered in every area; and there is little recognition or pushing for academic success.) Most of the teachers in our experience have been very good, with a few excellent standout teachers in the upper level Science classes, upper level English, and Choir. There is a lot of emphasis on athletics. However, the Choir/Theatre departments have seen a vast improvement in the past 4 years. With a few exceptions, it seems that an overall sentiment from parents and students is that being mediocre is good enough (not in athletics, but in academics and leadership).