Arizona School for the Arts Reviews

I would give Arizona School for the Arts an average score because it is an institution with many severe issues. I am now a senior and have been at ASA since 5th grade, and I have experienced consistent racism from students and faculty. Most students of color leave the school by freshman year because of the discrimination they face. The discrimination that students of color face can be seen through the harshness or apathy from the teachers that the white students do not experience. The administration promotes double standards and will punish students of color much more harshly than their white peers. On the contrary, the school does have an excellent music program and provides excellent academic courses. ASA could be a truly amazing institution if it was willing to confront its embedded discriminatory culture.
This school promotes radical leftist ideology. Children's lives were threatened and children threatened suicide after the 2016 election. Teachers allowed historical comparisons between Hitler and Trump in class and do NOT promote American patriotism. If you want to raise a brainwashed liberal or Antifa member this school is for you.
I feel more supported than I ever have at another school. The combination between challenging academics and arts is extremely unique, and combined with access to extra-curriculars, has made me a well-rounded and prepared citizen.
Start Your Review of Arizona School for the Arts
Overall, the school was a fun experience for me. It prides itself on its integration of high leveled academics and performing arts education. I would say a downside that I experienced was turnover from educators. However, I did not feel my education suffered, as a result, due to the talent and efficiency of incoming educators.
The school itself opened up a lot of opportunities for growth in terms of music and performance, particularly for me who came from a minimal background in this area. However, academically, I witnessed a lot of teacher turnover and academic course schedule shifting. This I feel stunted potential for really delving into certain topics. Overall, it was an experience I was grateful for, though.
I would like to see the development of upper-level science courses. The facilities are less supportive of labs and advanced experiments.
The inclusive and diverse community at Arizona School for the Arts allows to students to freely express themselves in an open environment. Each student at ASA acquires a drive to learn, which inspires others to grow intellectually and artistically. ASA has also allowed me and many other students to develop public speaking skills and become an effective communicator. Arizona School for the Arts is not only a well-rounded, academic institution, but a school that prepares students to overcome challenges that they may encounter in the future. At last, I admire that the majority of students at ASA are involved in their communities and are committed to making a difference in the world.
Teachers are generally good, food is unhealthy and inadequate, and the campus is not always clean, admin is a pain. Yet students are generally well-prepared for college due to good presentation and self-advocacy skills, as well as critical thinking and organization. Middle school teachers are generally good, however many high school teachers are young and still feeling their way into becoming a good teacher. The 9th Grade team is pretty great, but the 10th Grade teachers are not so great. 11th Grade is supposed to be a blast, and 12th Grade ehhh. Only the top level of arts classes are good, and students in other levels rarely care. Students are very liberal and not always accepting of other views. Some students and parents seem to get certain advantages because they give a lot of money to the school or are on the board. Probably best option unless you want to have no life (Basis) or your rich (Brophy/Xavier).
ASA is pretty gr8!! I've had a lot of fun there and I actually look forward to going to school!! Most of the teachers find a way to make their classes interesting so that is pretty great. The dance program is awesome I would totally recommend 10/10! The theatre program in middle school is ok. School lunch is eh. ASA is a really diverse environment where people are encouraged to be themselves and nobody is judged for being different. That, I believe, is one of the things that makes asa so special compared to other schools. This school will give you an experience that you can't get at any other high school in Arizona. It's awesome
Concentrated experience on higher education and arts. Freedom to explore your area of interest while receiving guidance from your peers and your teachers.
Arizona School for the Arts (ASA) is a charter school that has grades 5-12. ASA is all about combining the performing arts with rigorous academics. ASA is a performing arts and college prep school that strives to prepare every student to thrive in college and in the real world. The teachers at ASA go out of their way to make sure each student has the help and resources they need to be most successful. ASA has a very unique school culture that is re-emphasized on the first day of each school year. While ASA only offers cross country in the sports category, they have an enormous array of classes in the Theater, Music, and Dance categories. The administration at ASA is very involved with the school and listens to suggestions from the ASA community on what needs to be improved. ASA has over 30 clubs and activities available during lunch and after school that range from National Honor Society to Quidditch. Overall ASA is a very inclusive school that produces high achieving students.
Going to ASA, I had come from a public school where I was bullied and teachers did not expect the best from us. Jumping into ASA was difficult to say the least because I was unprepared for the work load and for the expectations that others held in me. People expected me to be the best I could be and they helped me to achieve my wildest dreams. I realized that the world would not give me another unique experience like this, so I grabbed ahold and made the most of it. Teachers were excited for the classes and discussions, students were excited to learn, there was no bullying, and the administration knew who we were. I got to know the community very well in the seven years that I spent at this unique charter school. I am unbelievably lucky that I was able to have this experience because I got to be part of a community that supported one another and cared about their education and the education of their students. There is nothing I would possibly change.
I would agree with other comments on the middle school teaching staff being unorganized and poor overall. Maybe 5th grade isn't the stage you start pushing self learning and college preparedness, maybe the Teachers should TEACH the students what they need to know instead of having self-taught students. The Jr/High School is fine but clearly expanding to lower grades was not well thought out.
Arizona School for the Arts is my second home. I began attending the school my fifth grade year. This tight knit community of students is a supportive and helpful learning environment to be surrounded in throughout high school and middle school years. The teachers all truly care about their students and their needs. The ASA Culture allows students to strive in an accepting and open environment. Students are encouraged to think outside the box, be socially aware, and be involved in the outside community. The rigorous academics set students up for a successful future in college and beyond, and the arts allow an artistic outlet to be creative and shine. ASA is a terrific learning environment, and I would highly recommend it to anyone!
I think it was a pretty decent school. The teachers that I had helped me enhance my learning experience whether it was in orchestra class or math class. They would always strive me to do my best. The school, however, wasn't that good at things like dress code and the ID badge. If a student have an ID badge, they would automatically be sent home. There have been ups and downs at this school since I started in 6th grade and left freshman year.
Arizona School for the Arts is really an amazing school, but when I first attended the school I wasn't so sure about that. As o got to experience more of the school, the people, and the arts programs, I saw that ASA is really an amazing school. We believe that the arts make the world a better place. The academics are extremely challenging, but you really do learn a lot, ASA challenges you to think differently. In one of my current classes they are challenging us to find our story and as well as our true selves. When you first go to ASA it's going to be weird, but once you get to meet the people it's like you never wanna leave them. I still find it quite amazing that everyone is so different yet to similar, we all have a passion a love for the arts. That she what brings us together a a big family. What I most enjoy about the people is that we all come from different backgrounds, different social classes. But we all accept eachother as humans.
ASA cares very deeply about ensuring that students are receiving a quality education while also including the arts as a major part of the overall experience. There are many teachers both academic and art that care deeply about their students and want to help them succeed in their future education and career. Despite being an arts school, ASA focuses mainly on "classic" arts such as ballet and classical instruments. There needs to be introduction to different types of art that students can be involved in.
Start Your Review of Arizona School for the Arts
The middle school is a mess of poor teachers, lack of direction and disorganization. It seems that the school focuses all its attention on high school and leaves the middle school floundering. Many teachers don't care, don't try and are not good.
This school is absolutely amazing. The teachers care so much and they put in all their effort into everything they do. All the students are welcoming and accepting, and overall the school is excellent.
There was not a very large range of clubs at the school. Very few people knew about clubs or organizations other than yearbook that were open to the public.