Aptos High School is a highly rated, public school located in Aptos, CA. It has 1,458 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 27 to 1. According to state test scores, 42% of students are at least proficient in math and 76% in reading.
Aptos High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-165 Students
- A+159 Students
- A+157 Students
- A156 Students
- A145 Students
- B-144 Students
- A+137 Students
- A110 Students
- A-106 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.19 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.19 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.29 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.35 responses
Schools like Aptos High School
- ASanta Cruz High School
- Santa Cruz City High School District, CA
- 83 reviews
- C+Watsonville High School
- Pajaro Valley Unified School District, CA
- 385 reviews
- A-Scotts Valley High School
- Scotts Valley Unified School District, CA
- 111 reviews
- A+Dr. TJ Owens Gilroy Early College Academy
- Gilroy Unified School District, CA
- 109 reviews
Aptos High School Reviews
I had a great experience at Aptos High! The environment of the school is very supportive and calm. Most teachers have their best interests in students and do all that they can to help them succeed academically. After being an athlete at Aptos for 4 years, I am confident in saying that the athletic director, Mark Dorfman, does an excellent job finding the best coaches. These coaches also do their best to make sure that the student athletes they train are succeeding and being pushed to their limits in the best ways possible. Although the counselors were very busy and had long lines, they were easily available through appointment. During my senior year, I had lots of support with applying for college and scholarships. One thing I would change about Aptos High, it would be school culture and pride. Our student body would work hard to get other students to participate in school spirit weeks but the outcomes were disappointing.
The language department for Aptos is deplorable. The teachers have no idea what they are doing, and many simply have you watch youtube video explanations because they themselves cannot teach the curriculum. The other departments are average, with mostly good teachers. The English department was one of the best, with the teachers being very helpful. The counselors at the school are ok, but Ms. Martin is absolutely horrid. She will do absolutely nothing for you if it requires even a second of work for her. Overall, the school gives an adequate education.
Aptos High, while having faults, like lacking the programs to get students college ready in an efficient manner, is a very welcoming environment where students are welcome to discover themselves and their passions. While regular classes lack the rigor nessisary to be college ready there are many AP and Honors classes offered if one wants to challenge themselves. The athletic program is excellent and very successful, competing on the state level with many of our teams. The campus is riddled with stairs so it’s not ideal for people with wheelchairs or crutches and there is very little campus cleanup and maintenance. While Aptos has its fair share of inept teachers it also has a great group of very passionate teachers who’s enthusiam transfers to the students and makes them eager to learn.