Annie Wright Schools Reviews

Just Lacks caring for students and parents.
Terrible experience with Shelli Strate and Christian Sullivan
WOULD NOT RECOMMEND
Annie Wright has exceeded our family's expectations. We love the small class size, IB curriculum and sense of community. The teachers and coaches are amazing! Our kids thrive here and we simply couldn't be happier.
A wonderful school with caring teachers and a lot of people who work behind the scenes (alumni, staff, parent volunteers) to make the student experience positive. The only major drawback is the Head of Schools, for whom it is no exaggeration to say that he is a two-faced tyrant who belittles his staff and worries more about his image and charming potential donors than the well-being of the campus community.
Start Your Review of Annie Wright Schools
Took me a while to get out of my shell, but once I overcame my shyness I fell in love with the school
When I visited this establishment, I was amazed at how the school’s community was so tight-knit. Everyone greeting each other while walking to their next class. The teachers were all very involved in the well-being and academic success of each and every student. The administration also helped their students when they had missed a class for an extracurricular event of some sort. Classes are designed to be very interactive with its students. The students all seem to be highly engaged ready to take on the world. This school is truly extraordinary!
As a 7 day boarder and community member involved in all aspects of Annie Wright, I can accurately gage the immense impact on my life this school has created. Prided on our academic excellence, open-mindedness to all people, and passion throughout, Annie Wright truly is embodiment of what a school should strive to be. Without this school, I never would have been exposed to so many diverse cultures and loving teachers. It has guided me throughout my life, and courses have remained actively engaging and challenging while simultaneously being understanding. For example, every freshman enters high school taking physics as their first science course. The clubs and activities are stand-alone amazing, and where I genuinely have found my home. Personally, I was enrolled in the selective program of Model United Nations and Global Action where I learned composition, pose, political debate, and diplomacy. Due to character limits, I must stop here, however the legacy of Annie Wright continues on.
Annie Wright gives upon the most strengthened college preparatory experience you can possibly get. Everyone here is an involved community member and they are such fun people. Starting from year one, the path was already set to preparing for IB exams. The faculty here help the students grow in both academic excellence and human character.
I came to Annie Wright in 6th grade and immediately felt welcome in the community. Everyone is so close and friendly, and the classes have such perfect sizes that I never feel forgotten and am able to have those one-on-one learning slots with my teachers and I don't feel afraid to ask them questions. We have anywhere from 1-2 hours of study hall everyday when teachers are more than willing to help. The school prepares every student so well for college with personal meetings with our college counselor through junior and senior year and challenging academics. Our activities and clubs program is so extensive, there is an option for every person, and if you don't find one you like, the school will help you make one. As an IB school, every student aims to embody the 12 characteristics through class trips and exchanges to other countries. Altogether, Annie Wright is a small community which makes it harder to form sports teams, but gives such a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.
It really is so amazing and really values the growth of their students. With their diverse cultures and academic excellence and every student is valued.
Annie Wright has made me more independent, shown me how to have confidence, taught me to be myself, and how to be willing to stand up for what I believe in. The girls I’ve met here have helped me to grow as a person and have shown me what true friendship looks like.
Both my children attend Annie Wright. My daughter is in the upper school and is excelling because of the rigorous academics that push her but more importantly because of a staff that cares. The school has an amazing program that caters to children with depression, anxiety and other issues. We did not know this when we enrolled but found out when we needed it most. The school administration is amazing at providing the support to help her succeed.
I've attended Annie Wright from Pre-K to my Senior year, 14 years total. I'm dyslexic and the support from staff has made it possible for me to maintain above a 3 point and be accepted by 5 colleges so far that have women's water polo teams that I can play for. This is an excellent school for a girl that wants to attend one of the top universities.
I’ve gone to Annie Wright for the past 14 years(my whole life). I have nothing to compare it to since it’s all I personally know, but I seriously have had such a great experience. The relationships I have with my teachers are so special and personal and I can tell they really care about me. Overall, my experience has been absolutely fantastic.
Excellent teachers, great all girls community, not sure how the all boys aspect will change this. Slightly skeptical of it
The faculty and staff at this school are incredible and hard-working! It's unfortunate, however, that they are woefully unappreciated and undervalued by the administration. The admin's main focus is to make money, and thus run the school like a corporation, completely ignoring the needs of the people who keep that place running.
Good education system. Weak in the sports system. High number of international boarding students, but low in diversity overall. Also low in diversity in the faculties.
I have attend Annie Wright for 13 years and my experience there has morphed me into the person I want to be. Rigorous academics paired with an all girls student body, allowed me to grow and fulfill my goals as a student. Annie Wright is a smalls school of about 40 in my graduating class. This allowed for me to get close to my teachers and really learn the information, rather than regurgitate it. With the opportunity to have a full IB education, I really got to push myself and learn how to stay balanced between school work, social life, and sleep. All in all, AWS is a good school that focused on academics and the environment for learning really allows for every student to thrive.
Start Your Review of Annie Wright Schools
In the past two years, Annie Wright has really made a push to develop the activities program and has done so rather successfully. I do know of student who complain that it clashes with homework time, but honestly, I have thoroughly enjoyed participating in the MUN/ Global Action Club. I have learned to develop my passion and interest in international relations outside the classroom and the teacher who runs it is one of my favorites (that's just the bonus). However, I would say my situation is a bit rare, as I've heard other activities are not run to the same success level as others. It completely depends on the club and advisor you have. Each club, depending on its success, gets a budget. We had the opportunity to go down to Arizona and learn about immigration policy. Our club requires a rather high level of commitment if one wants to participate in all of the opportunities. Other clubs are a bit more lax. The administration has instituted a JV and Varsity level for each club, but some use that distinction more than others.
Annie Wright, on the outside, is different because it's a girl's school. That phrase alone would throw most into a shamble. Honestly, after the first few months, even a boy-crazed girl like me can have a heart change. Everyone here has a different experience but for me, coming to Annie Wright has opened doors to new perspectives on life, such as how to write the most precise introductory paragraph ever.

Annie Wright is also a close-knit community. We fight sometimes, but we somehow seem to coexist and love each other in the weirdest way. Everyone here isn't typical, there aren't defined stereotypes. People are perfectly comfortable being themselves. That's something I've come to appreciate. That and the no-distractions during a test. The close-knit community aspect is probably most evident in our annual Lip Sync, where people get up on stage, get rowdy, and get crazy with an audience to cheer them on.

I would choose this school again in a heartbeat, because it is here where I've had the space to find my interests and reaffirm my beliefs (or change them). This school challenges you to think and defend your argument, hold your own against your peers, and work hard to maintain a social life. I will say academics is the number one priority here; if you aren't prepared to work hard, this may not be the place for you. Still, many girls here maintain that balance of school sports, and a boyfriend. It can work, and the rewards are amazing.
The teachers at the Annie Wright Upper School vary in quality of teaching. The math department is strong and has varied teachers to suit the learning styles of different students. The math levels also range all the way up to a challenging Calculus course; according to most students, they love the math teacher and the deans of the Upper School are very available to talk about switching classes to meet student need, in all departments (although this is mostly true for math classes). The science department is very much the same, and the teachers in this department engage students on an amazing level! The humanities department, in terms of quality, ranges greatly. The literature teachers are consistent and engaging, and many students enjoy their classes. The history department seems to be the greatest barrier, as many students complain about the teaching methods and lack of engagement. However, the history department, in my experience, is very helpful in preparing for the major IB assessment at the end of each year. The language department is also varied in terms of quality. From my experience and comments made by fellow classmates, French was a disappointment in the lack of preparation. Spanish has mixed reviews. However, everyone I have talked to seems to love their Chinese teacher, myself included. I would highly recommend taking Chinese if you are planning on going to this school.