Ankeny High School Reviews

Ankeny High School overall was an average experience. Our school recently split, so there have been growing pains with some aspects, especially the athletic department and coaches.
I am overall very blessed to go to Ankeny High School. The school itself is very clean, spacious, and looks professional and modern. The entire Ankeny Community School District does an amazing job at establishing a no bullying policy and I feel very safe and at home when I am at school. The majority of the staff and teachers at the school are layed back, but also push every student to do their best and help them become successful. They give us the option to come in for extra help before and after school, and there is even a time period every week for any student that is struggling in a class to come in and work on their assignments. The resources available to the students are in abundance, and I have never felt that I didn’t have the right materials or information to be successful in my work.
In a town at once was considered the 2nd fastest growing town in America, Ankeny High School Is still a school devoted to making change in every students life. Everyone knows you by name even if there over 900+ students in the entire school. If your passionate about learning something new, then teachers go out of there way to make sure you can master it!
Start Your Review of Ankeny High School
I had a great experience at Ankeny High School. My class, 2013-2014, was the first class after the schools split in two. It was a tough transition but it turned out to be for the best. There were more opportunities to be involved in activities and the classes were smaller. I did have to make new friends because many of my friends went to the new school, but that also turned out to be a good thing.
The best part of Ankeny High School was the opportunity to take dual credit classes that allowed for credit both at the high school as well as in college. It was great to be able to know that the classes that I had chosen to take also had the possibility of transferring to the college where I would get credit for the classes. One of the things I would probably change is just to make sure that the students become more engaged in the classroom and stay focused and get caught up if they are involved in activities in school.
I have been going to ankeny since 8th grade. I’m an incoming senior for the 2018-2019 school year, to be honest, I wouldn’t chose to graduate anywhere else. I moved around a lot growing up and now that I’ve consistently been in a district, it has become my home. On the contrary to my above opinion, ankeny has its tough points. I’ve done some rebellious things I shouldn’t have done and as I continue on and better myself, not only the students but some staff as well seem to have me marked to their judgement for my eternity at the school. Knowing half of the people I see don’t believe in me can hurt sometimes. Reputations are hard to reverse in ankeny. In conclusion I see going to ankeny worth some of the struggles I faced because in comparison to other school districts, ankeny is very accepting and has good nature as well as strong academics.
I really enjoyed the teachers and how they prepared me for college and you could tell they really cared about you- both education and personal life. I would change maybe the diversity because there is not much. Their are huge cliques like any other school but I will say bullying is definitely not an issue.
They offer many DMACC classes and the teachers are very nice and committed. However, the school is very focused on maintaining their high graduation rate rather than teaching and failing students who don't do anything.
Good school with opportunities for students. I wish there was a little better communication with parents on things going on at school and preparing for college as a parent. Maybe more parent information meetings.
This school is very well at educating the students, but not with helpful or useful information. Most of the students that graduated with me didn't take away from this school. It's a positive to go there for all the opportunities that you could have, but the education part is lacking.
The school prides themselves on sports and education in the primary and gives limited credit to the fine arts. The teachers are great
Ankeny High is an amazing school district, and the faculty is great. Ankeny has lots of opportunities to get involved and take college level classes during high school. They also work closely with DMACC which is the community college down the street and are able to take some class directly at the college. The brand new school has a great layout. The extracurricular activities is one of the special things about this school, it allows students to build friendships and compete with other schools. I enjoyed my time at the school and would recommended it to anyone.
Ankeny High school is very good in terms of its statistics. This is a double edged sword however. Ankeny has many students who succeed and take higher level classes and also have a very high graduation rate. The problem with this is there are very ill-prepared students are graduate and Ankeny does not care because they care mainly about their statistics and looking better than other schools.
Attending AHS has allowed me to be in basketball, choir, show choir, and to take college classes while attending high school. This experience will set me up for success once I am a full time college student. I have been given the skills I need to balance my busy schedule.
I like that the school district pushes for excellence. They also offer lots of classes that gives you college credits.
The teachers at Ankeny High School are very passionate about their job and teaching their students. They prepared me well for college.
I feel that Ankeny High School employs teachers who truly do care about the success of their students. The teachers go the extra mile to ensure the students do work to the best of their abilities and encourage students to try their best. I feel that one thing that Ankeny High School could improve upon is the lack of diversity.
Start Your Review of Ankeny High School
I have been going to Ankeny schools all my life and I can say it has been an amazing journey starting from little kindergarten to almost graduating I wouldn't of changed it for the world the community is amazing and welcoming we are very open to new people and students we have a lot of school 10 elementarys two middle schools two junior highs and two high schools but the great thing about Ankeny is we are all still united even though we are divided north and south we do not view it as that and the opportunitys we have is outstanding we have lots of sports and academics to fulfill everyone's love and we have great music and acting programs as well this is just part of the reason Ankeny is a wonderful place to go to school
I graduated from A.H.S. 6 years ago now, things have changed a lot (they split the high school into two different high schools). So my experience may be different then what is currently happening at the school now.

When I went to Ankeny, it felt like real lift High School Muscial. It was cliquey and the football team/popular kids ruled the school. Luckily I spent my time in the music department. Although favoritism happened fairly often I had wonderful teachers and a was thoroughly prepared for college classes. I wasn't prepared in terms of help learning how to apply to scholarships or anything like that, just in means of work-load and balancing class to social life.
I like the opportunities that students have access to as far as extra curricular and academics. Teachers provide a solid foundation for learning, and feed the hunger for education.