Animas High School is a highly rated, public, charter school located in Durango, CO. It has 299 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 12% of students are at least proficient in math and 47% in reading.
Animas High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A42 Students
- A41 Students
- B-36 Students
- A30 Students
- A+19 Students
- A-18 Students
- B15 Students
- A-12 Students
- B+11 Students
- B9 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.9 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.9 responses
Animas High School Reviews
Animas is tight. Although we reside in two trailer-like building made from pieces of wood and rusty corrugated metal that somewhat distracts the student body and visitors of the quality of building that's full of mold and "skunks". I guess they were trying to go for the "every other house in vail" look, somewhat distracts the onlooker from the lack of government finding we were promised four years ago. Don't fret... student teacher relations are unlike any other school!
When I was choosing where to go to high school, Animas was a clear choice for me. It is a small school, under 400 students total, which makes it unique from most of the other public options. The small size provided for me a much richer sense of community, where I knew all of my peers and they all knew me. Similarly, it fostered extremely deep connections between my teachers and me, something that I hadn't experienced to that extent before. The curriculum is wide open, and mainly focused around projects and real life applications. The main problems affecting the school seem to be lack of funds. The facilities are not great, to say the least. There are not a ton of extracurriculars or electives available to students. The teachers definitely have a liberal bias that has seeped into some of the coursework and projects, but never on their opinions of students or their work.
If you choose Animas High School, you must be very self driven. A majority of the teachers offer a wonderful classroom experience and challenging content. AHS is very successful in the "student-teacher relationship" arena. However, it lacks in discipline and its math curriculum. To further explain, taking grade level math is a requirement for every student, and if you wish to take a higher level math class, you must sacrifice one of your elective periods. Overall, success at Animas High School is obtainable, as long as you are open to working for it.