3206 Main Avenue
Durango, CO 81320
Animas High School Rankings
Niche ranks over 14,000 public high schools based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-31 Students
- A-25 Students
- A-25 Students
- B-24 Students
- A+16 Students
- B+10 Students
- A-9 Students
- A+7 Students
- B+7 Students
- B6 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.5 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.5 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.Take our survey
More opinions are needed!
Write a review to add yours.Review Animas High School
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.7 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.7 responses
Animas High School Reviews
Review Animas High School
Student-teacher relationships at Animas are extraordinary! You can not find devotion like this at any other school. The teachers are committed to their job and for them teaching is a passion. Most teachers are young and are full of knowledge and passion about the topic they are teaching. They are willing to take the extra step to make each student gets the education they deserve and need. They cater to each student's individuality and personal interests. What's amazing about the teachers at Animas is the fact that they have the freedom to develop their own lesson plans that work with the student's needs. Instead of being forced by the state to teach to the test, our teachers create a plan that teaches student about the real world.
The atmosphere of a college preparatory school is upheld to the highest standard that they can. However, some of the staff can make this school seem one sided. Animas attempts to uphold the idea of tolerance, while a majority of the student body is willing to have logical and well thought out political and social discussions in a civil matter, the same can not be said for a few of the teachers residing there. Conservatives are a minority. In some instances, teachers will attempt to fit their political and social stances into the curriculum and spread this to impressionable students which is immoral. Many Conservative students seem scared to combat these immoral motions, because these teachers will simply send them to the hall or send them to the principle. Some staff choose to speak negatively about students to other teachers behind their backs, in a destructive manner. I would like to see a change in the professionalism and morality of the teachers and staff.
This school is absolutely amazing. Animas is a project based learning school, meaning that teachers use real world applications to allow students to develop hands on projects to gain a better understanding of the concepts. This alone makes this high school unlike any school in the area. In addition to the type of learning offered, Animas has a culture of excellence. Everyone, including staff, is expected to do well and strive for greatness, whether that be academically or culturally. Every student is held to high expectations. Because the students present their hard work publicly through exhibitions in the community, they must do beautiful work and present themselves professionally. Another great thing I love about Animas High is the culture. This school is nothing like what you see in the movies. I could honestly say that everyone cares about one another. At Animas people get what is described as "the feeling" and I would describe it as a learning environment that makes me comfortable and excited to walk into the building each day. Just as an example, we have students who hold the door open in the morning and greet people and we have a group of students who hand coffee out to parents as they drop their student off. Each day is a new adventure, whether that be building a life size catapult, preforming slam poetry or going down to the river to study the chemistry of the water. Everyone goes to Animas because they are committed to their education and they want to learn. Animas is full of uniquely minded students who are interested in finding and learning about their passions.