Andover High School Reviews

I have had a wonderful time at AHS! I've been involved in several varsity sports teams, on one of which we won the D1 State Championship. I have also been a part of a large variety of clubs and programs. I have become president of three of these groups and have had a wonderful experience. I've met many new friends. I've worked very hard and gotten great grades as a result and feel very prepared for entering college next year.
I have enjoyed my time so far at AHS, and am looking forward to my last couple months here before college. The school has many different athletic opportunities, along with so many clubs. Many of the teachers are very kind and want to help you learn, though there are a select few who aren’t as enthusiastic. I will definitely miss AHS when I’m gone.
I like Andover. It is a very odd town filled with kids who have too much time on their hands. There are a lot of parties, but a few snitches that ruin it for everyone. The academics are very good, but there are some teachers that could give a crap about their students.
Start Your Review of Andover High School
Andover High School lacks any charm or sense of spirit inside the school. This creates a separation in the student body. The teachers are often below average and are not very likely to help students. Most of the money for the school goes towards sports and interior renovation like painting the stairs and front doors. I would like to see an overhaul of the math department and the replacement of many of the teachers.
It is a great school. The teachers are generally good and knowledgeable. There are tons of extracurricular opportunities and many things to get involved in. The sports teams are good and offer many events to attend. Everyone is generally accepting and it is a safe place. The only critique is that the building itself is old and leaves much to be desired.
I think my experience so far has been very good, although sometimes can be a struggle with a hectic schedule it’s kind of hard to keep track of things. Some of the staff are the sweetest people ever but the nurses are absolutely one of the worst people I’ve ever met. They seem to be unaware that they are hurting the student body by not trusting them when they literally need help. This other time I had a 100+ degree fever and was feeling sick and overwhelmed and they literally kept on insisting I just wanted to go home and skip school.
Decent experience, I wish academic standard was higher and there can be massive variance in teacher quality.
Andover offers a great education. It's one of the top schools in the state of Massachusetts. Although our school is strong academically, we struggle with school spirit and having fun. Our school could really benefit from a better pep rally. and have tailgating and have more fun events during school.
The academics here are great and there are many clubs and sports to choose from. I think everyone here will be very prepared for college and the guidance department does a nice job of helping students with the college search process. I would have given 4 stars but the new schedule this year has been a nightmare with an 8-day rotation and classes at different times every day. Parents also exercise far too much control over the administration.
Socially, it was really difficult to fit in at Andover High School. Household income and athletic ability are two major factors in the “popularity” spectrum. Unfortunately, having divorced parents, the income factor was difficult. Athletic ability was something else I lacked, due to breaking my shoulder in gymnastics the year before high school started.
I am a junior at Andover High School, and think that my school is above average. There are many very good teachers, who are engaged in their teaching. The academics are very good because of this. Sports at AHS are extraordinary. Many of our teams win division and state titles. Downsides to our school include the food. The food can be good somedays, and bad others. Another downside to the school, is the social structure to the school. In my school most people find a group of friends, but there is little to no intermingling of these groups. Overall, I think my school is pretty good, and I just wish the social structure was a little more fluid.
The academics were very strong in some areas but other teachers failed to provide basic skills students needed in order to be successful in future classes. The administration and resource officer spent their time trying to get students in trouble to make the school "safer" rather than working with the trouble students to get to the root of a problem and help the student change their ways or get them help for unhealthy habits. The teachers genuinely cared about seeing their students succeed but many did not give much work or never really challenged their students and resulted in many hours wasted where students could have been learning valuable material.
I transferred to Andover High partway through my high school career after attending a private school for two years. Academically, It was similar to the college prep school in honors level classes. With more students and fewer teachers, classes were often a bit crowded which meant there was not always time for students to have individual relationships with every teacher. I was able to finish my graduation requirements a semester early due to having taken classes at a community college during high school. Despite a lack of a dual enrollment program I was able to communicate with guidance councilors and the principal to have my college courses counted towards my requirements.
Andover high school is a very close-knit and inclusive. It is impressive how they bring parts of the community together in a variety of ways. They offer an abundance of AP classes, and after-school clubs which allow you to follow your passions.
I have loved my time at Andover High. It's the perfect mix between big and small school, and the buffalo chicken wraps are to die for.
I love that Andover High School gives students many resources and opportunities to achieve unique goals in a safe environment. I hope to see that teachers work harder than they currently are to provide their students with accurate, concise information.
Andover High School is a place for students to get a solid education. There is definitely room for improvement, especially with student-administration communication, but AHS has wonderful potential and many phenomenal teachers and students.
Start Your Review of Andover High School
Overall, both the teachers and the students at Andover High are very supportive and willing to help anyone who needs it. The school is constantly changing for the best with environmentally friendly options being available and new clubs being introduced seemingly all the time. The classes themselves are often taught at the level they say they are, but there are times when some of the teachers forget they are not teaching an AP class. The homework load is manageable and for the most part, the teachers understand that we students have extracurricular activities such as sports and clubs that also require our attention. The parking situation is definitely a mess for the upper-class students, but a good portion of that is also because of the confused parents that like to block all the exits. All in all, Andover High is a decent school that does offer a friendly and welcoming environment a good amount of the time.
I like the academic options at Andover. After sophomore year, course selection broadens and you are offered a wider variety of courses to take. The one downside is that there are approximately 2,000 students at the school so it can feel a bit crowded at times.
My experience at Andover High School was not that great. It was hard for me to stay involved in the clubs and activities that it had to offer. They are not a diverse school at at. Its hard to immerse yourself with other cultures when there is not a lot to offer. The admin was horrible.