Anchor Bay High School
- Ira, MI
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B
- Diversitygrade B minus
- Teachersgrade B+
- College Prepgrade B
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C
- Health & Safetygrade B
- Administrationgrade C
- Sportsgrade B+
- Foodgrade B minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade D+
Anchor Bay High School is an above average, public school located in Ira, MI. It has 1,983 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 23 to 1. According to state test scores, 47% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
Anchor Bay High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A308 Students
- grade B294 Students
- grade B+266 Students
- grade B207 Students
- grade B+187 Students
- grade A+184 Students
- grade B+180 Students
- grade C172 Students
- grade B minus114 Students
- grade B minus104 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade B
- Housinggrade B+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 21 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 21 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 127 responses
- Football games17%
- Spirit week13%
- Band concerts7%
- Band festival7%
- Upcoming Prom7%
grade B minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 31 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 31 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 31 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 50 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 50 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 50 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$11,165 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 53 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 53 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 53 responses
Schools like Anchor Bay High School
- grade BRichmond Community High School
- Richmond Community Schools, MI
- Rating 3.63 out of 5 112 reviews
- grade B+Henry Ford II High School
- Utica Community Schools, MI
- Rating 3.68 out of 5 253 reviews
- grade BLakeview High School
- Lakeview Public Schools, MI
- Rating 3.71 out of 5 147 reviews
- grade BArmada High School
- Armada Area Schools, MI
- Rating 3.66 out of 5 185 reviews
Anchor Bay High School Reviews
Rating 3.61 out of 5 303 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Anchor Bay High School was probably the best way I could've spent the last four years. I had a lot of great times, met a lot of amazing teachers, and learned a lot about the world and myself. The facility is incredible from the inside out, and while all things have flaws, this school is no different. It isn't incredibly diverse, nor is it the safest place. I've come so much stronger from this school because I turned bad times into positivity and found the bright side of things on this side of the town. Anchor Bay High School is a great school and I'm so proud to have been able to spend my teenage years here. I'm glad to forever be a Tar. And as the announcements rather annoyingly said every day, it's always a great day to be a tar!
The school as a whole is very considerate of those who might be at a disadvantage, there are programs specifically for students who might be falling behind in the curriculum. This is significant because it allows those individuals a fair chance to succeed. I love how inclusive the school is, there are a wide variety of classes, from automotive classes to gym to classes revolving around medicine. I think there needs to be more focus on the quality of the restrooms, as this has been a recurring problem. However, this is a very small inconvenience. This school has free tutoring during lunches and certain days after school, which is also very considerate. Overall, it is very education-oriented but still has room for socializing and making friends.
There is a variety of AP and honors classes that were provided. The faculty within the Honors Academy wanted the best for all of their students and did their absolute best to prepare students for college. Faculty genuinely cared for students when they missed school and would always look out for them. Teachers provided flexible after school schedules with students who missed classes to obtain the information they missed. The athletic department was very involved with the community. There is also a variety of clubs and after school activities for each student to have a chance to get involved with. Overall, the school and administration protects each student while providing them a great education for their future.