Amherst County High School is a public school located in Amherst, VA. It has 1,309 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 79% of students are at least proficient in math and 86% in reading.
Amherst County High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+82 Students
- B78 Students
- C+76 Students
- A73 Students
- A+72 Students
- B+64 Students
- A+59 Students
- B52 Students
- B52 Students
- A-46 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 36 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.20 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.26 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.27 responses
Amherst County High School Reviews
Amherst County High school is a great school to attend. Are there things I would change? Yes. But overall, my experience has been great. I had many outstanding teachers over the last 4 years. I am looking forward to graduation, but it also saddens me a little. Simply because Amherst County High school has given me a great experience. I have learned a lot over the past four years. I even earned my Emergency Medical Technician Licenses. I am proud to be a Lancer!
Overall, the school itself is alright. There are no huge issues that need to be addressed, but the culmination of all of the smaller problems the school has causes it to be less than spectacular. There is a lack of funding for the arts, the school itself needs renovations, there are issues with staff, and the school spends way too much time focusing itself on things it doesn't need to fix, or doing things that will not fix the problem.
While I have enjoyed my time at Amherst, it could be much better. The Board doesn't have enough money to fund the school like Lynchburg does. However, the teachers charisma and friends can make the school seem better. Most of the detrimental characteristics of the school are that of any high school. Drugs are common among the more mischiefous and foolish students. Many of the students are not worried about college or even their high school careers. Despite the apathy of many students, a good one-third of the student body are very competitive about their grades and each student in this group are close in their classes and their class rank. I have fallen in with the better crowd, as I am number eleven in my senior class of just over three hundred. I have enjoyed my time at this school as it will prepare any student for the real world, where many people do bad things, and few prepare for their own future.