Amherst County High School is a public school located in Amherst, VA. It has 1,309 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 69% of students are at least proficient in math and 86% in reading.
Amherst County High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-87 Students
- B82 Students
- C+80 Students
- A76 Students
- A+76 Students
- B+66 Students
- A+62 Students
- B-52 Students
- B52 Students
- A-45 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.26 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.27 responses
Amherst County High School Reviews
Amherst County High School is an amazing place. Some things can be changed like more preparation for college and making students be involved with college preparations. My experience of being at this high school for the past few years has been amazing, some teachers are very involved with us students while others just try to get us through the grade. The high school is a very friendly and safe place. Some teachers are willing to do anything for their students, they make sure that they come first when a students in need for help. The overall experience was great. We have amazing staff.
Amherst County High school is a great school to attend. Are there things I would change? Yes. But overall, my experience has been great. I had many outstanding teachers over the last 4 years. I am looking forward to graduation, but it also saddens me a little. Simply because Amherst County High school has given me a great experience. I have learned a lot over the past four years. I even earned my Emergency Medical Technician Licenses. I am proud to be a Lancer!
Overall, the school itself is alright. There are no huge issues that need to be addressed, but the culmination of all of the smaller problems the school has causes it to be less than spectacular. There is a lack of funding for the arts, the school itself needs renovations, there are issues with staff, and the school spends way too much time focusing itself on things it doesn't need to fix, or doing things that will not fix the problem.