Amherst Central High School is a highly rated, public school located in Amherst, NY. It has 813 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 95% of students are at least proficient in math and 95% in reading.
Amherst Central High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A91 Students
- B-33 Students
- B-32 Students
- B29 Students
- A29 Students
- A-25 Students
- C+24 Students
- A-23 Students
- A22 Students
- B+22 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.8 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 17 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.11 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.14 responses
Schools like Amherst Central High School
- A-Kenmore West Senior High School
- Kenmore-Tonawanda Union Free School District, NY
- 205 reviews
- B+Akron High School
- Akron Central School District, NY
- 66 reviews
- A-Sweet Home Senior High School
- Sweet Home Central School District, NY
- 140 reviews
- BLockport High School
- Lockport City School District, NY
- 146 reviews
Amherst Central High School Reviews
It's a high school with all of the typical high school things: friends, teachers, bullies, mandatory classes. The electives are pretty broad which is cool, but there's not a lot of mention of them so if you don't know about them, you don't know about them. The teachers are generally kind and they do their jobs well. There's a few that seem like they don't understand the material they're teaching, but that's every school. Our athletics aren't too great, money is allocated towards losing teams as if that'll help. Our most successful teams are female, so if you've got a daughter this is a place where she'll thrive athletically.
Amherst High School has so many intelligent, inspirational, and dedicated teachers. Several of them greatly influenced my way of thinking and seeing the world. The clubs at this school are also very diverse and are a great way for students to express their passions. The diversity and acceptance at Amherst is also one of its assets. The only downside this school has is the tendency of students to form cliques.
Overall, I liked my experience at ACHS regarding the quality of my education and the kindness of my teachers. However, the building is incredibly old and could use improvement. There is no centralized heating thus rooms vary from scorching hot to freezing cold. The chemistry hallways pipes are so old that we're unable to drink the water, and there is asbestos in the building overall. The people inside of the school are great, but the building itself needs an intense renovation.