Ames High School is a top rated, public school located in Ames, IA. It has 1,277 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 88% of students are at least proficient in math and 84% in reading.
Ames High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A366 Students
- A253 Students
- B+90 Students
- B-81 Students
- A+50 Students
- A41 Students
- A+39 Students
- A+38 Students
- A+31 Students
- A+29 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.32 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.32 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.42 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.45 responses
Schools like Ames High School
- AGilbert High School
- Gilbert Community School District, IA
- 115 reviews
- B+North Polk High School
- North Polk Community School District, IA
- 80 reviews
- B+Roland-Story High School
- Roland-Story Community School District, IA
- 71 reviews
- B+Nevada High School
- Nevada Community School District, IA
- 33 reviews
Ames High School Reviews
Ames High is a great school. Since Ames is a college town, that draws in people from around the world, so Ames High is fairly diverse. The students score above average on tests like the ACT, AP Exams, and other big tests like that. Our classes definitiely prepare you for college. There are tons of clubs and if there isn't one for you, you can always make a new club. The teachers are great and make relationships with so many students. The building itself is pretty old, but full of life and memories. Overall, it's a really good high school!
I love Ames High and the school spirit the entire district has. I have met lifetime friends at Ames High School and have been given great opportunities. Even though I loved my high school experience if I could do it all over again I would change a few things. The counselors at Ames High School can sometimes brush over students not giving each and everyone the attention they deserve. Whether it be giving generalized advice or not looking out for the students best interest the administration could use some room for improvement. Another very frustrating thing about Ames High School is that they only will send out students unweighted GPA. In today's world getting into college and qualify for financial aid is a difficult task, and having an unweighted GPA is that much more difficult. Overall Ames High School was a great place to attend high school.
Ames High School is the most amazing school in Iowa. Students are given so many opportunities. We are given the chance to take college classes at DMACC and it is completely paid for. We are able to take up to 7 or 8 art classes and 6 business classes. We have a food and nutrition class and a woodshop class. Students WILL find what they love/are passionate about here. I already know exactly what I want to do after college because Ames High School has prepared me for it. The city of Ames will be building a new high school in the next 3/4 years and I am so excited to watch it grow and see what good it brings people!