Ames High School is an elite, public school located in Ames, IA. It has 1,271 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 89% of students are at least proficient in math and 87% in reading.
Ames High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A264 Students
- A167 Students
- B+62 Students
- B-58 Students
- A+39 Students
- A+34 Students
- A-27 Students
- A+24 Students
- A+24 Students
- A+23 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.26 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.26 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.28 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.36 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.39 responses
Schools like Ames High School
- AGilbert High School
- Gilbert Community School District, IA
- 106 reviews
- B+North Polk High School
- North Polk Community School District, IA
- 71 reviews
- ARoland-Story High School
- Roland-Story Community School District, IA
- 68 reviews
- B+Nevada High School
- Nevada Community School District, IA
- 27 reviews
Ames High School Reviews
An awesome school. Great teachers make all the difference in the world. So many options in classes to take. They offer more than just Spanish! I especially enjoyed German class and host an exchange student each year. The school also allows as many clubs as the students want. I enjoy Board Game Club, Chess Club, and Young Americans for Freedom Club. It's not all about sports, but with awesome coaches we're great in that too.
All of the teachers are great! The band program is amazing. The amount of opportunities that you have, with AP classes, ISU classes, etc., is really helpful. The business program here is incredible. Taking Accounting and Personal Finance helped to guide my college and career path. Also, there are a lot of clubs here, from conservative clubs, to liberal clubs, Key Club, FCA, and the list goes on.
Loved it! Teachers are great, with many opportunities for students. From clubs to sports to music, students are allowed to explore many different avenues.