Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepC+
- Clubs & ActivitiesB+
- Health & SafetyA
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Alvin C. York Institute is an above average, public school located in Jamestown, TN. It has 516 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 11 to 1. According to state test scores, 12% of students are at least proficient in math and 55% in reading.
Alvin C. York Institute Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B170 Students
- C+96 Students
- A-90 Students
- B-73 Students
- B55 Students
- B-42 Students
- B32 Students
- C32 Students
- A+31 Students
- B25 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.6 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 13 responses
- Pep rally's, prom, all sports games38%
- Homecoming week23%
- Piano Recital15%
- Pep rallies8%
- Spirit Week8%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.11 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.11 responses
Alvin C. York Institute Reviews
The thing I love about York Institute is the teachers. Because I am still attending York, I get to have the privilege of learning from wonderful people. Since I am a senior so many teachers have watched me grow into a young lady, and I have received nothing but support. The teachers truly care about the students education, and they want nothing but success for the students, the one thing I would want to see change is the relationship between other students. Because York is located in a small town, drama spreads fast. Personally, I wish students would uplift and encourage one another. York overall is a wonderful high school!
I love the school, right now they are going through a superintendent change, so it isn't running like it normally does. The teachers are friendly, and they care about the students. I feel like the students can be heard, but most importantly understood. With all types of programs, there is something for every student that goes there. The counselor, head of schools, and teachers make sure that everyone knows they will have someone to talk to if anything ever happens, now or ten years down the road.
It needs A LOT of work. There are very good people and teachers there, but there are some issues with getting a wider variety of classes. Also, the school itself is in bad conditions. Thanks to the wonderful custodians, it's getting better everyday. The school also needs more recreational activities that help the students come together more. There is a lot of cliques and it's hard to be a part of a school that doesn't like one another.