Alvin C. York Institute is an above average, public school located in Jamestown, TN. It has 579 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 77% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
Alvin C. York Institute Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B106 Students
- C+65 Students
- A-61 Students
- B48 Students
- A+24 Students
- B-23 Students
- C+20 Students
- C+17 Students
- B16 Students
- B-16 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.6 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.11 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.11 responses
Alvin C. York Institute Reviews
I ENJOY GOING TO YAI. EVERYONE DOES THEIR BEST TO HONOR THE MEMORY OF OUR SCHOOL FOUNDER--ALVIN C. YORK WW1 WAR HERO. THE SCHOOL OFFERS A WIDE VARIETY OF SPORTS AND ACADEMIC COURSES TO BETTER PREPARE STUDENTS FOR THE WORLD AHEAD. BECAUSE IT'S A SMALL COMMUNITY EACH STAFF MEMBER KNOWS EACH STUDENT AND FAMILY BY NAME. I FEEL IT'S AN HONOR TO ATTEND A SCHOOL THAT STARTED WITH A DREAM BY A SIMPLE FARM BOY TURNED HERO. THANK YOU, SHELBY STORIE.
Most of the teachers are helpful when it comes to helping a struggling student. They offer math tutoring which has helped many students pass difficult classes such as pre cal and college algebra. However, some teachers don’t offer help to the students and seem like they could careless about if a student succeeds or fails.
I really enjoy going to school at York. It's class sizes are small, so I get one on one time with all my teachers. The campus is beautiful and schedules are relatively easy to follow. The environment is welcoming, although there are a lot of cliches and clicks. Other than that I love the school and it's staff.