Altus High School Reviews

I attended Altus high school as an international exchange student last year. It is my first time to study in the American high school. I still remembered that I was so nervous at the beginning of the first quarter because I didn't know anyone in that high school. So I was eating lunch by myself in the cafeteria of the school. However, Suddenly, a bunch of students came to my table and tried to talk to me, they were so nice and helped me to adapt my high school life. I was touched and fully thankful to them!
I had an amazing time. The faculty and staff are very friendly and helpful. I’d like to see more options for students who need help with school.
Overall, attending AHS was really good for my college applications. It's incredibly easy to become involved, whether it be sports, clubs, or music. However, while it's good for college applications, it's not good for actually learning. For those of us that put in hard work, it's frustrating to see others surpass you in class ranking because the selectivity with which they select their schedules. Also, for many, hard work come second to grades. Considering diversity, on the surface everything seems fine, but the student body has problems with microagressions.
Start Your Review of Altus High School
I like how we offer many different electives so everyone has at least a few classes to take that spark their interest.
I enjoy the different things they have to offer. I especially like how we were able to take both AP classes and concurrently enroll at the community college.
They could try to actually teach a child how to do a thesis before they tell her to make an essay. Especially if the thesis is the more points than the rest of the essay.
Altus high school is a wonderful school, with wonderful teachers, but I think they are way too focused on our test scores and not really what we learn or how we learn it.
Altus Public Schools helped shaped me into a wonderful, educated, and driven young woman. It is a place where students can reach their full potential.
I recently moved here in January and so far what I like about this school is that they provide the students with many chances to prepare for there future. They provide students with programs and activities that help guide students to become successful. Though, I would like to see the school expand in there JROTC program and tone down on there strict rules.
Altus has a great, small town feel. However, the school itself feels behind. The teachers teach so that the students can pass tests, not so that they may learn and remember. They recently went under budget cuts and the result was that many programs were cut. Also, because of the small town vibe, football is a big thing. This is great until you realize every other sport has less funds.
Altus High School stands together through the good times and the bad. On February 14, 2016, our community lost three wonderful teenage boys. While one of them was not from our school district we mourned and honored him just the same. Our school is a community full of caring individuals. Even through our rough times we fight through and come out stronger than ever.
Being able to say that I graduated from Altus High is a true blessing, because we have the opportunity to play different types of sports or we can be a member of any club that the school offers, other school in oklahoma don't offer as much as Altus High does. My favorite thing about Altus High is the amazing bond I made with my friends and family going to the games, just having the time of our life's. The only thing that I wish the high school would change is the cafeteria building.
It is a great school. There are some good teachers there. Great learning experience. The band is great, so is the choir. I enjoy watching the football games that go on.
My high school experience has been a good one. There are many activities and clubs and things to be a part of. Because I live in a smaller town, we have a good sense of community in my school. Everybody knows everybody. We all come together to support each other and cheer each other on at sporting events. Most of the teachers are very passionate about their subject and try their best to help us succeed. We could use a better budget for teacher pay and AP courses. We are short on teachers and classes for the upper classmen to take.
There are a few clubs that I was aware of like the national honor society, link crew, blue crew, the Kay club, and student council. No after school activities besides if you played sports.
it was unique for me because I got to walk the same halls as my mother, aunts, uncles, cousins, and siblings. So, it was very traditional for me. My favorite experiences would have to come from playing sports and building bonds with my teammates. I would not choose this school if I had to go back because the faculty pick and choose the students they are willing to help.
they are very helping to the people they want to help. Some teachers will go out there way to help their students and others just show up to get a pay check every two weeks.
Start Your Review of Altus High School
Health and safety have not presented any problems where I have been concerned.
Athletics are very popular and offer lots of after extracurricular opportunities. Drama is very active also. The honor society is available doesn't seem to be extremely active. There are several art activities that happen during the year.
Personally, I am of a shy nature. During my four years at Altus High School I have been an avid participant in art both in school and outside. I have enjoyed a good relationship with all the teachers whose classes I attended and several who never taught me. Fellow students have been friendly and welcoming for the most part and I enjoyed my high school experience on a whole; though, I welcome graduation and the beginning of the next phase of my education at a college level.