Altus High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A110 Students
- B99 Students
- B79 Students
- A77 Students
- B68 Students
- C+37 Students
- B31 Students
- A+30 Students
- A-26 Students
- B+22 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.10 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.10 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 32 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.15 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.19 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.20 responses
Altus High School Reviews
Overall, attending AHS was really good for my college applications. It's incredibly easy to become involved, whether it be sports, clubs, or music. However, while it's good for college applications, it's not good for actually learning. For those of us that put in hard work, it's frustrating to see others surpass you in class ranking because the selectivity with which they select their schedules. Also, for many, hard work come second to grades. Considering diversity, on the surface everything seems fine, but the student body has problems with microagressions.
Some teachers are excellent at caring for their students and help struggling students. These teachers are usually consistent in grading practices and have respect for student ideas. This can be easily determined by their leadership and control of their classrooms. These teachers are very knowledgeable and, where available, they incorporate technology into the classrooms. Unfortunately there are more teachers who seem to be there to receive a paycheck and do not want to be in contact with students outside the classroom. If a student does not understand directions or requirements for an assignment, they must rely on outside assistance. My own personal experience has been fortunate to include many of the former teachers with just a few of the later. Having a 3.8 to 4.0 GPA for many years, I have been able to succeed with both.
My high school experience has been a good one. There are many activities and clubs and things to be a part of. Because I live in a smaller town, we have a good sense of community in my school. Everybody knows everybody. We all come together to support each other and cheer each other on at sporting events. Most of the teachers are very passionate about their subject and try their best to help us succeed. We could use a better budget for teacher pay and AP courses. We are short on teachers and classes for the upper classmen to take.