Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB-
- Clubs & ActivitiesB-
- Health & SafetyB-
- Resources & FacilitiesB-
Altus High School is a public school located in Altus, OK. It has 869 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 22% of students are at least proficient in math and 27% in reading.
Altus High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A176 Students
- B-168 Students
- B-128 Students
- A127 Students
- B116 Students
- C73 Students
- C61 Students
- B53 Students
- B+51 Students
- A38 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 40 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.22 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.23 responses
Altus High School Reviews
My experience has been great. I love all the opportunities AHS has to offer. There are a variety of classes, arts, music, sports, clubs and much more activities. The staff and teachers are great too! Everyone really makes it feel like a big family. Once a bulldog, always a bulldog:) Only thing I would change is more payment to teachers and staff, as well as smaller classes and more school funding.
The best part of Altus High is definitely the community that you build. Almost all teachers and other staff are very friendly and supportive, and events such as dances and games help to bring kids together. There's a large variety of sports and extracurriculars (especially if you like music); there seems to be a club for everyone. Unfortunately, the school is terribly underfunded. This leads to a lack of resources, overcrowded classes, and awful teacher pay. The academics are okay. There are some AP classes and other opportunities for advanced students as well as resources such as free tutoring.
I enjoy doing concurrent enrollment at the nearby college, and prom always looks very good. They have somewhat good availability for resources, and they try. However, I feel as the school itself remains somewhat organized and they only offer Spanish as a foreign language. The teachers are also pretty good. The school suffers a lot due to their un-organization, and it would greatly improve if they could communicate better, with students, teachers, and faculty not talking it creates a system where at some points no one knows what's going on. Announcements are not enough.