Altoona Area High School is an above average, public school located in Altoona, PA. It has 1,778 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 73% of students are at least proficient in math and 79% in reading.
Altoona Area High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+178 Students
- B-141 Students
- A96 Students
- B-95 Students
- B-85 Students
- A-58 Students
- B-56 Students
- A-54 Students
- C+51 Students
- B-42 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.26 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.26 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 97 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.42 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.46 responses
Schools like Altoona Area High School
- BTyrone Area High School
- Tyrone Area School District, PA
- 70 reviews
- B-Bellwood-Antis High School
- Bellwood-Antis School District, PA
- 71 reviews
- B-Cambria Heights Senior High School
- Cambria Heights School District, PA
- 78 reviews
- B-Penn Cambria High School
- Penn Cambria School District, PA
- 58 reviews
Altoona Area High School Reviews
Altoona Area High School provided an amusing point in my life. This school is overall pretty great compared to other high schools. The school is full of diversity, so I was able to make friends of all kinds. Almost all of the teachers showed care and support in my academic career, and put effort into understanding my teenage life. The clubs were decent, but that is because a lot of the finances went to the sports more than the clubs. It was a little upsetting. College readiness was not exactly a keen point in this high school, though. However, I did not take Advanced Placement classes, so it is unsure on how much different it was. I was able to use some skills and techniques from several classes, but college was definitely a lot different. I think Altoona Area High School needs to add life skills to the curriculum. I was not prepared whatsoever for life after I graduated, and in today's society, it is a big necessity to know how to live.
Altoona Area High School is a school chalked full with opportunity. There are several clubs, sports, and organizations to be a part of. It really gives you the chance to help others, all while finding yourself. The teachers love their jobs, and will even treat you like family. They will fight for you when you need them, and really help you through the hard times. Many students that attend the school are living in poverty, living with abusive parents, living with nothing. The teachers and faculty will help the student(s) find a better path. The Altoona Area High School, though large in size, acts like a family.
I enjoy the abundant amount of extracurricular activities, sports, and clubs that are offered at Altoona Area High School. The teachers tend to be widely excepting and open to help students. I would hope to change the lunch menu to include choices for students with Celiacs Disease and other allergens.