Alton High School Reviews

I loved the engineering program and AP physics courses! The exposure to real-world technology has advanced me well past the collegiate level and allowed me to further myself in undergraduate research. I am majoring in physics and Spanish thanks to the challenging foreign language department and rigorous science and engineering programs. I love my instructors and still communicate with them. I am very appreciative of their support and encouragement!
Overall i enjoy Alton High School. The facility really does care about their students. They tend to make sure the kids are getting along and enjoying their day.
Alton High School has a great sense of community and closeness. Even with classes of about 500 a year, everyone knows each other. I have been in the music program (helping/performing) for 4 years, and I believe it's our school's highlight. It is mostly funded by our own fundraisers and parent involvement. It allows us to travel and be musically educated, as well as building closely knit, lifelong friendships.
The school could however, work on its administration to student communication. Often, students don't know what's going on throughout the day or the week, and aren't alert to rule changes. The school could also work on making a safer environment. Fights happen often, and drug use is widely known throughout the school.
Overall, however, it's a great school. Most public schools aren't fortunate enough to have what we do, and for that, I am grateful.
Start Your Review of Alton High School
Made many friends there and learned quite a bit. Sure some of the students were a bit rough and will probably become criminals or fornicate their bodies into a state of great disrepair, but as far as high schools go it's okay. Would recommend to a friend if they were living in the area.
I don't feel ready for college at all, the guidance counselor hasn't helped me one bit with my plan, and I feel lost. We need a class to help with college!
I'd like the school to better prepare students for college - there weren't many readily available resources/counselors so I had to figure out everything on my own.
Had a handful of teachers who really appreciated me and cared about me. Some rules made by administration were sexist and other rules were never enforced.
My experiences so far, has been great. I am the secretary of the sophomore class at Alton High which means that I am in charge of many things. I love the amount of diversity at the schools many students have a variety of character that is shown throughout the day. However many students and their parents are not very involved when it comes to school activities. That is something that I hope changes. Also being a public school when have many students who are not academically advanced and wish to not take up further education which makes it hard for people to better there education.
A great school overall with plenty of opportunities for everyone. They offer tons of classes in all different categories along with several advanced placement and dual credit classes.
The teachers are great, and most of the students really are there to learn. There are the few exceptions, though.
Most teachers are very knowledgeable about the information they teach and are willing to work around student's schedules
Being a student at Alton, I feel as if my school is somewhat diverse as far as students, but not teachers. Coming into Alton High, you will see mostly white and African American staff. I believe this has a lot to do with teaching students to be excepting of others. If they are around other cultures and races, they will be able to talk and communicate with other who differ from them. This will cause them to be more accepting.
There are so many different extracurricular activities to choose from. We have a variety of sports, FCCLA, YELL club, student council, German Club, The Redbird Word, National Honors Society, Minority Excellence, and etc. There is something for everyone to do or enjoy. It's a great way to get to know new people and also a way to expand your knowledge on the things you love most.
I'm a sophomore at Alton High School and so far my experience has been great. My favorite part about going to this school is all of the Redbird spirit. Although some students may have conflict in the halls or outside of school, it seems as if none of those issues matter when we come together to show school spirit. Our Redbird Nest does an amazing of supporting out athletic teams. Our Redbird Nest is what makes out school most unique. I also like the fact that my school has a variety of classes to choose from.
Although there are some teachers at Alton High who may lack in some areas, majority of our teachers here strive everyday to make students successful.
The teachers seem to allow things to escalate before any action is taken. Also, as a female student, I can say that on all three floors, there is never any soap. Which leads me to the thought that our teachers and lunch ladies are also sporting filthy hands. Possibly a reason I may have gotten H. Pylorus, from ill-prepared foods.
Of the clubs I have been in, the amount of people that participate to the amount of people that sign up are very low. Also, the teachers responsible for the group are usually far too lazy to help out, and mostly place immature, upperclassmen to do their job.
Start Your Review of Alton High School
If I could do it all over, I would not choose this school again. At first, the students there and how they acted were awful. It was as if they think they are all better than you. Soon, one will realize that unless you have money, or are athletic, the teachers will also act the same way. They do not pay attention to those students that struggle or those that need help interacting.
The teachers in my school have their favorite students that they place above the rest, in each classroom. This affects not only grading but what the students overall learn and how well they do as a class.
Alton High School has given me experience that have pushed me out of comfort one for the greater good. My school also has "dual credit class which allows us to get college for certain classes taken during our high school years. I would choose this school again if I could due to the amazing staff.