Alpena High School is a public school located in Alpena, MI. It has 1,315 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 22 to 1. According to state test scores, 26% of students are at least proficient in math and 65% in reading.
Alpena High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C147 Students
- A+102 Students
- B+96 Students
- A+88 Students
- B85 Students
- B77 Students
- B+75 Students
- B-57 Students
- B+53 Students
- B-44 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.25 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.25 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 95 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.29 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.38 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.44 responses
Alpena High School Reviews
My experience at Alpena High School was great! Of course, at every school there is that one teacher who you just really don't like who I came across but the majority of my teachers were friendly, helpful, and understanding. Whenever I had a problem or was in need of help I always knew there would be someone to go to. It always felt like a safe and secure learning environment and offered many extra things to get involved in. We had everything from Culture Club to National Honor Society and everything in between. I really cannot think of many things that I would say wow I really wish my school would have offered me.
My experience at Alpena High School was awesome overall. I was the first in my family to attend this school, so I was a bit timid as a freshman. With school pep-assemblies and clubs/activities, school was a fun place to go to. I believe the best part about AHS was how well it worked with Alpena Community College on helping upperclassmen advance their educations further by taking college credits that would double as high school credits. I also cannot forget about the "Senior Lock-In," where we go-karting and bouncy-housing at 2:00 am to end our senior year. Something that I would like to see changed would be the politics in sports. My family believed that sucking up to any coach was wrong, and it ended up hurting my playing time significantly.
The quality of teacher's at Alpena High School is very good, they are knowledgable in the subject they teach. Many of the teachers are also very interested in their students, academically as well as the students extra curricular. Communication is also very open at AHS, I am comfortable with all of my teachers and would go to them with any questions or concerns. The grading scale is the same through out the whole school, however some teachers grade harder than others. Grading depends on the type of class.