Alpena High School is a public school located in Alpena, MI. It has 1,309 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 22 to 1. According to state test scores, 39% of students are at least proficient in math and 68% in reading.
Alpena High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C151 Students
- A+111 Students
- B+99 Students
- A+90 Students
- B89 Students
- B82 Students
- B+79 Students
- B-57 Students
- B+54 Students
- B-45 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.26 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.26 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 101 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.39 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.45 responses
Alpena High School Reviews
My experience at Alpena High School was great! Of course, at every school there is that one teacher who you just really don't like who I came across but the majority of my teachers were friendly, helpful, and understanding. Whenever I had a problem or was in need of help I always knew there would be someone to go to. It always felt like a safe and secure learning environment and offered many extra things to get involved in. We had everything from Culture Club to National Honor Society and everything in between. I really cannot think of many things that I would say wow I really wish my school would have offered me.
My experience at Alpena High School was awesome overall. I was the first in my family to attend this school, so I was a bit timid as a freshman. With school pep-assemblies and clubs/activities, school was a fun place to go to. I believe the best part about AHS was how well it worked with Alpena Community College on helping upperclassmen advance their educations further by taking college credits that would double as high school credits. I also cannot forget about the "Senior Lock-In," where we go-karting and bouncy-housing at 2:00 am to end our senior year. Something that I would like to see changed would be the politics in sports. My family believed that sucking up to any coach was wrong, and it ended up hurting my playing time significantly.
It is a good school. I moved in my junior year. The teachers are, in a general sense, all very nice. We do have many types of teachers, going anywhere from rather chill to the types of teachers who could use a chill pill. There are many events the school puts on through “KAPUT” and those events are cool. This school also has 3 annual school dances. It is a nice environment and I love it there.