Alliance Alice M. Baxter College-Ready High School Reviews

I enjoy attending Baxter High School because it is a small school so you are able to connect with everyone. Baxter focuses on preparing the students to go to college. They push their students to do the best they can do. Although, Baxter does focus on seeing their students successful they are not very organized. Baxter suffers from a lack of communication to its students. Many of the administration doesn't let the students know what is occurring until the actual day so it makes it hard for us to plan accordingly. Another problem with Baxter is unlike any other school we don't have the funds available to do activities to increase our school culture.
I believe Baxter High School far exceeded my expectation of a charter-public school due to the challenging college prep curriculum it offers. Prior to attending Baxter High School, I attended Catholic School Kinder to 10th grade. My transition and morning commute of 44 miles is challenging, but well worth it. At Baxter, I am given the opportunity to thrive in a small class setting. I not only became a stronger writer, but I am now in Italian 3 and tested out of my special Ed program. After 11 years in private school, Baxter High School identified I struggled in English class due to a slight learning disorder. Although our curriculum and college readiness is set in place, I would like for future students to have more events, stronger student culture, and school spirit.
The main thing I like is that it trains students to be independent. Students are given deadlines to pass an assessment and they're expected to find and use the resources to do so. Also, there are close relationships between the students and staff. This school is small so you're given the one on one attention and support you need. Every week teachers hold a session of office hours, which is an opportunity to get support from teachers, peer tutor, catch up on late work, etc. However, there is a lot of work and effort that goes into passing classes. Earning lower than a C isn't passing. You must also learn additional content to earn A's. One thing I'd like to see improve is the school's consistency. The policies and systems are constantly changed. Although they're made for the students' benefit, it affects them negatively. They constantly have to adjust to the new changes which causes a lot of confusion and complications in doing what is necessary to pass.
Start Your Review of Alliance Alice M. Baxter College-Ready High School
At Baxter High School, every student has access to technology. On our chromebooks or macbooks, we use Summit's PLP (Personalized Learning Platform) to learn content independently. In doing this, students at Baxter learn to become independent learners and become self-geared in managing time and learning content at a reasonable pace. We work on projects inside and outside of class, and rubrics are used to break down the different skills we are using and what level we are currently at in that skill. We do peer reviews in class to get feedback on how to improve our work, and we get one or two chances to resubmit for a better score depending on when you turned in the project. The campus is small, and almost everyone knows each other. Our school culture is still developing, and we have many clubs available. Overall, it is a great school and I am very glad to be a student at Baxter.
During my three years of being a student at Baxter High School, I learned that we, the students, have voice to what changes in our school. I've experienced drastic changes from resources like Haiku, to Summit, I've seen changes in little workshops we call forum. What I like about my school because they think of so many changes just for the benefits of their students. The people here really seem to care about our futures and never cease to try and help them reach their full potential. One thing I would like to change is the platform we use called PLP, the problem I have is that the work on the PLP does not reflect the understanding the student actually has.
It takes a good amount of work to be here. Students often have to be prepared for changes they weren't aware of so it teaches us not to trust anything and be prepared for everything.
Alliance Alice M. Baxter College-Ready High School is a school that stands out amongst the other LAUSD schools. Our school had one particular sponsor, his last name the name of this school, who is always willing to keep up the resources needed for student success. Each student's curriculum is based off this software called the Summit Learning © "Personalized Learning Platform" and every student is willing to face its everyday tasks/challenges.
What I asked a parent liked about the school on main and 47th street was how helpful the counsellors and teachers and front of use where everytime I seeked assistance for my daughter who just graduated from the school.I also like the fact that they assisted with preparing the students with their sat exam , I only wished that it was longer time than it was.
Baxter High School is a charter high school that recently opened 4 years ago. The school is meant to prepare you for college and provide you with opportunities you would usually never have at other high schools. It does mean well and has since the very beginning but because these are its very first years as a real high school its still figuring out how to run itself properly. At the moment its not what it had promised to be but thats to be expected with a bran new school so its average at the moment.
Teachers at this school always are there when the students need them they help us out all the time when we need it. For example a teacher taught a group of students calculus over the summer so that the students would be prepare when classes started.