Alleghany High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+26 Students
- A-18 Students
- A-17 Students
- A+17 Students
- B-12 Students
- B+11 Students
- B+11 Students
- B-10 Students
- B+10 Students
- A+7 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.9 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.12 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.14 responses
Alleghany High School Reviews
Review Alleghany High School
Every teacher is completely different. I have only seen/knew a few teachers in this high school that genuinely care about the students, their achievements, and their enjoyment and understanding of every class. Grading consistency is unheard of. Sometimes they "curve" grades, sometimes they let them re-take tests they have failed, etc. To me , that is not a good example for a child like mine, that studies hard, makes a 99 or 100 on a test and another child fails the test, gets to go home, study more, and re-take the test.
It seems this school is more supportive to the athletics programs, than to the academics programs. Art and music seem to be a forgotten need with very little funding. I was told by one teacher that I approached to let them know that my oldest daughter did not understand a part of the lesson she was assigned, and he said, "I only have to cover the material, I can't make sure they all understand it." This is a very small town and full of good people, but teachers are not like they were when I was in school. I can count on one hand the number of teachers that my daughters have said to me, "Momma, now he/she are great teachers!"
I think overall health and safety was excellent when Mr. Barnes was principal, but since we have anew principal, I'm not sure how to answer this, because I really don't know him at all. The school has an excellent emergency plan, if this new principal will use and follow it correctly. Student health resources have always been excellent.