Alleghany High School Reviews

The teachers take the time to make sure I understand the material.
It has been great to have a technical school work with our highschool so I could learn a trade.
As far as changes, I would change the lunch menu. The food isn't that great and the portions are small. But learning wise, I have appreciated every single teacher I have met.
My experience at Alleghany High School was well overall. I feel they should encourage students to take higher education courses, as well as make foreign language a mandatory class. As an African American, there were some ignorant people, but I always try to ignore them.
Alleghany High School is a great school! Alleghany High school is a family! Alleghany High School is my family!
Start Your Review of Alleghany High School
Alleghany High School will be a New Tech Network High School beginning in 2018-2019 which will involve problem/project based learning in the classrooms. The students will be given opportunities to do internships their senior year. Junior and seniors are allowed to apply to the Jackson River Governor's School located at Dabney S. Lancaster Community College (the cost is free to those students who are accepted). This gives their graduates 40+ college credits. Other students participate in the Jackson River Technical School which allows them to graduate with a CTE (Career and Technical Education Certificate) in welding, culinary and carpentry to name a few.
I would only recommend this high school to kids and families that only want there kids to succeed at a community college right down the road that will only get you a job around the area with no benefits.
Alleghany was where I grew up so it was destined for me to go to high school here. It’s great that everyone knows each other, but that is also a huge downfall because of drama. I have never been more excited to leave somewhere in my life.
The people and the location of Alleghany High School are great. The setting couldn't be much more beautiful than where the school is located. The teachers do a wonderful job at pushing us, and supporting us along the way. The only bad things are the school is out of date, and the administration could be better.
There are not many options to choose from, and it is expensive.
The policies of our administration focus on very childish and immature things. They do a poor job of getting the students of Alleghany prepared for college
Sports are definitely a big deal to our students and teachers at our school. We all take great pride in competing in a great conference of the VHSL. Over sixty percent of our students are involved in a sport, and many also play multiple sports. We have a great fan support from our community. The only thing that lacks are the athletic facilities. They are very out of date, and close to no money is ever spent on bettering them.
The teachers of Alleghany High School are what makes it enjoyable. I have never had a teacher that I didn't like in any way. I also feel that everyone of them are very educated in their fields of teaching, and are very hard working teachers. Every teacher in the building has a different and unique style of teaching, keeping you guessing and interested in learning what is next.
There are some extracurricular activities to be apart of, but not many. The ones that do exist have been the same for the past four years at least, and begin to become boring after awhile. The main things we do at our school are participate in an organized sport, or go watch another sport compete.
I have had mixed feelings about there teachers. Allegheny has some of the best teachers in the area. They are hard working and caring. However they have others that I think are just there to collect a paycheck or bully the children. The ladies that work in the front office are awesome. If you need anything they are the ones to go to. To talk to anyone else in that office is like talking to the wall. They have a new principle I'm hoping that will change but I'm not to hopeful.
Could be more academically strenuous.
I have had a very good experience at this school.
Health and safety policies are well known. I feel safe.
Lots of club and sports opportunities.
Start Your Review of Alleghany High School
The guidance counselors are extremely helpful and available.
There are a few college level classes. No more than 5. Dozens of low level/mentally handicapped courses offered to students that couldn't pass the first time.
Our sports are good, but they are not all treated equally.