Alleghany High School is a public school located in Covington, VA. It has 840 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 74% of students are at least proficient in math and 88% in reading.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A33 Students
- C+30 Students
- B28 Students
- A+27 Students
- A+19 Students
- B+15 Students
- B15 Students
- B+15 Students
- A-12 Students
- B11 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.Take our survey
More opinions are needed!
Write a review to add yours.Review Alleghany High School
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.6 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.8 responses
Alleghany High School Reviews
There are many clubs available for a variety of interests. These include clubs for foreign language/culture, agriculture, volunteer work, athletics, art/creative writing, etc. Most of the clubs have meetings each month and sometimes even more often. The most popular club is the Key Club since so many students are interested in helping the local community. The Foreign Language Club hosts a public food tasting each year and is a another very fun option. The school's FFA chapter participates in many career development events and often places in the state levels. The faculty is very supportive and some are even members and act as spokespersons for the clubs.
I was able to graduate from this school one semester early with an advanced diploma so that I could begin attending college early also. The classes and faculty made college prep an important factor in the classroom, and that has really been great for me so far in college. It has helped me to feel more prepared for my courses, but also more secure with my decisions. They also spoke often of what the "real world" was going to be like, and all of the advice and predictions the teachers provided with have come true. Honesty is valued at Alleghany High School, and that has been one of the most important skills I acquired during my time there. The life lessons I learned there have helped me be more comfortable at college and with the major life changes that have come with it.
Sports are definitely a big deal to our students and teachers at our school. We all take great pride in competing in a great conference of the VHSL. Over sixty percent of our students are involved in a sport, and many also play multiple sports. We have a great fan support from our community. The only thing that lacks are the athletic facilities. They are very out of date, and close to no money is ever spent on bettering them.