Alleghany High School is a public school located in Covington, VA. It has 815 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 73% of students are at least proficient in math and 87% in reading.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A35 Students
- C+33 Students
- B30 Students
- A+29 Students
- A+22 Students
- B+16 Students
- B15 Students
- B+15 Students
- A-12 Students
- B+12 Students
Living in the Area
- Crime & SafetyB
- Cost of LivingA-
- Good for FamiliesC+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.Take our survey
More opinions are needed!
Write a review to add yours.Review Alleghany High School
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.6 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.8 responses
Alleghany High School Reviews
Alleghany was where I grew up so it was destined for me to go to high school here. It’s great that everyone knows each other, but that is also a huge downfall because of drama. I have never been more excited to leave somewhere in my life.
I would only recommend this high school to kids and families that only want there kids to succeed at a community college right down the road that will only get you a job around the area with no benefits.
There are many clubs available for a variety of interests. These include clubs for foreign language/culture, agriculture, volunteer work, athletics, art/creative writing, etc. Most of the clubs have meetings each month and sometimes even more often. The most popular club is the Key Club since so many students are interested in helping the local community. The Foreign Language Club hosts a public food tasting each year and is a another very fun option. The school's FFA chapter participates in many career development events and often places in the state levels. The faculty is very supportive and some are even members and act as spokespersons for the clubs.