Allegan High School is a public school located in Allegan, MI. It has 702 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 22% of students are at least proficient in math and 52% in reading.
Allegan High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+122 Students
- B+109 Students
- A+89 Students
- A+68 Students
- B61 Students
- B-60 Students
- B+44 Students
- B-31 Students
- B-30 Students
- C+27 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.13 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.17 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.22 responses
Allegan High School Reviews
To be honest, this school has a worse reputation than it deserves. Education is not particularly lacking and they seem eager to try running new electives now and then. There are all kinds of people here, and most groups seem to be rather welcoming. One thing that would be nice to change though would be the number of snow days we get. I know this sounds like something every student would wish for, but it seems when nearly every other school in our area has a snow day, Allegan is the only one open. When the weather is scary, it's dangerous for us. Another complaint would be a few of the teachers. I'm not going to go into specifics, but enough requests have been made regarding a few and nothing ever seems to be done about it. However, what's nice is that Allegan has many college visits and programs to encourage students to push to further their education, including the connections to the Tech Center. Also, the performing arts center is super cool.
At Allegan High School, where I had attended for 4 years, my experiences were both good and bad. They provided so many opportunities class-wise and would help you through anything that you needed help with. When I suffered a great loss, AHS staff was more than willing to help me through it! I also liked all the school spirit. What I would like to see change is how they handle their anti-bullying policy, as it almost seems they do not really care as much as they say they do.
While the school offers many extracurricular activities and community service opportunities, the teachers are not the best. Some talk about topics outside of the subject of which is being taught. Others are way too harsh on the students with their assignments. The teachers sometimes have a difficult time explaining what they are teaching which results in low grades.