Alcona High School Reviews

The thing that I love about Alcona high school is that it's small enough that you know everyone on a personal level and can become friends with a freshman when you're a senior. The only thing that I would like to see change is for students to be pushed more and have more rigorous classes to help prepare them for college and the real world.
I only play softball and we have the best field in our area.
There isn't a whole lot for students to do beside sports.
Review Alcona High School
I just graduated in May. I have been trying to train and keep my game of baseball going. I am going to Spring Arbor to play baseball and to become a teacher. I feel my parents have done a great deal to help prepare me for the real world as well as my school.
Most of the club activities take place during lunch. (Such as yearbook and national junior honor society) Practices for sporting events take place after school.
Last year we went to a 7 hour day. This makes it really difficult on your workload when you have 3 or 4 exams scheduled the same day, and play sports. The curriculum can be very tough. There are teachers that are very caring and there are teachers that probably should not be teaching. I think that is the case no matter where you go. When teaching curriculum teachers need to test on what they teach.
We use to have a strength and speed class that was very important to our sport's programs. But, that was changed last year to movement of teachers. School spirit is ok, but it is not like it use to be.
If it wasn't for the secretary the school would fail
available only if cafeteria is notified of restrictions

The school makes it someone else's problem sad
school does the best they can I guess
Not prepared for college at all if you don't work on your own

ridiculous, Must have something to do with money from state
Good as long as you are in sports. Thank god for woodshop and drama

Same as any rural school.
Sports is everything at our school.
By my senior year at Alcona most of our extracurriculars were sports. We lost our band program, our choir and drama department due to budget cuts and even our sports teams were cutting back, dropping the JV teams in most sports. But Alcona High has the BEST FFA program in the state!
Review Alcona High School
Alcona Community School is a very small school in a small, low-income county. We have 1 principal, 1 vice-principal and 2 full-time office workers to cover all grades, K-12. The administrators work hard to take care of us all. It was a blessing (and sometimes a curse!) to be in a small school where the principal knows every student by name. The teachers worked hard to make sure every student had the chance to succeed. As teenagers, we can always find something to complain about when it comes to school but overall life at Alcona was good!
The ceiling leaked when there was a heavy rain or too much snow on the roof. Busing routes got cut over the years meaning that many buses were packed almost uncomfortably. Many of the computers were outdated and slow, causing issues with online assignments. Tutoring was available, however there were not many college prep resources available.
The workload was fair, and scheduling was easy. There were not many special study options. Most of the teachers were great and made learning fun, while some were difficult to work with and hard to understand. There were not many extra-curricular options, as many of them were cut.