Albany High School is an above average, public, magnet school located in Albany, NY. It has 2,450 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 82% of students are at least proficient in math and 90% in reading.
Albany High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+170 Students
- C+102 Students
- A+82 Students
- A75 Students
- A+66 Students
- B-61 Students
- B56 Students
- B-54 Students
- A-51 Students
- A49 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.20 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.20 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.28 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.31 responses
Schools like Albany High School
- A-Troy High School
- Troy City School District, NY
- 151 reviews
- B-Schenectady High School
- Schenectady City School District, NY
- 132 reviews
- B-Cohoes High School
- Cohoes City School District, NY
- 50 reviews
- B-Lansingburgh Senior High School
- Lansingburgh Central School District, NY
- 75 reviews
Albany High School Reviews
Albany high school was a good place to learn. Classes definitely prepare you for college applications/intro classes in college (comparative to many other schools), but the classes were very limited in choice. People are now trying to shut down advanced placement classes which would put everyone at a disadvantage as all non-honors/AP core classes taken were dry, slow and boring. The highlights of the school were definitely the classes that weren't forced upon you by requirements (such as ROP Photography). Teachers were mostly great thought!
The academics are great, there are a lot of opportunities to excel, with AP courses, IB courses, I have 18 college credits already that I will be graduating with so that is great. I've had some really great teachers who went the extra mile for students and some who just taught the curriculum and kept it pushing. There is a lot of diversity at Albany high, that is one thing for sure. There are kids from almost every country, there is a large population of black and latino kids, then there are a lot of middle eastern and caucasian people, then other. As well as college readiness, for our senior year first semester , our English class is all college prep -college essay, college research. The guidance counselors do a fairly good job of helping the students with college applications, scholarships, etc. As for safety, there are some fights and there has been a riot before but security has been increased since then.
I like the teachers. I wish the education system would change. Albany High School (AHS) in Albany, New York, United States, is a public high school with an enrollment of about 2,600 students for the 2017-18 school year. The school is part of the City School District of Albany. It opened on September 7, 1868, as the Albany Free Academy. Albany High has been located at 700 Washington Avenue since 1974.Albany High School is the only comprehensive public high school in the city. The school is divided into four themed learning communities known as academies. Those academies are Citizenship Academy, which focuses on critical thinking and economic skills; Discovery Academy, which focuses on the arts and communication; Innovation Academy, which focuses on science, technology, engineering, and math; and Leadership Academy, which focuses on the skills needed to lead the way to a better future.