Akins High School Reviews

What i like about Akins High School is that they give out opportunities to graduate with a job. But heres the thing not just any job its a job that has to do with your major its a really good school and I've had a good year their.
It was a school that allowed me to enter a certain Academy that let us be able to learn and take more classes on what we want to pursue later on in the future. It had given me many opportunities such as an internship at a local vet clinic and be able to get a sense of what an everyday work life is like in the career I wanted to pursue.
I attended Akins for the full four years of my high school career (2014-2018). The faculty at this wonderful school is the single most valuable asset that W. Charles Akins H.S. has to offer. They are extremely caring and go well beyond what is expected of a secondary school educator. If it wasn't for the guidance and wisdom of the teachers of Akins H.S., I would not be progressing towards my masters degree in engineering at the University of Texas at Austin. If your child has a desire to succeed, they will thrive at this school.
Review Akins High School
It's been okay, they could have better academics, and more college readiness opportunities. Maybe some classes about typical real world life would be useful too.
I didn't have just one group to belong to. I had punk, popular, nerdy, theater and band geek friends. I was pretty sociable. I did a good amount of extra curricular activities. I had a good amount of friends and I was accepted to the colleges of my choice. I attended four different high school and enjoyed only half. I had a blast the first two-three years and hated my senior year. I had to move out of state b/c of my mother. However I got married to my high school sweetheart,eight months after I graduated and moved from one state to another and now I'm living in overseas. I kinda went back to school, and am (three years later) now considering starting a family.
Akins High School is the best school I have attended. What I liked about Akins H.S. is the teachers, that took the time to help me prepared for my Star Tests and College. What I also liked about Akins it that it has academies that help you learn about the field you would like to study/work on. This academies help the student explore more carer opportunities and meet people who are as interested in the same path field as they are. However, I think the academies may distant and divide students from meeting other people of academies. This has affected students by not interacting and getting involve in school activities. I would say that is the only improvement we should make at Akins High School is the whole school getting together and get involve in the school spirit.
When I first came to Akins I was scared and afraid, but the teachers are welcoming, and even the students are friendly. Akins has good sport programs considering I played soccer there. And also, their orchestra program is exceedingly great. Akins also has an AVID program which is basically for college preparation. Akins is a big school which means there is a lot of space to be yourself. They are inclusive no matter your race, and they are also very diverse.
I love the teachers I've had my time in Akins high school; they have always helped me succeed and looked for my success.
I enjoy that majority of the students are physically and mentally here. Yes, in some cases they aren't always but I feel at Akins they definitely are. Especially the teachers. They show passion for what they teach and I always hear good things about Akins from them. I would recommend my school to other underclassmen because to me, it's honestly amazing.
This school could be almost perfect, the biggest problem is that they hire anyone to teach. The amount of teachers who actually teach their students is really low. Hopefully they hire better staff members and are tougher on who they hire.
I like how Akins had different academies. The teachers and the administrators cared about the students. They give shout outs to the clubs . They let us students create clubs. They make sure how the students feel safe. They make sure the students are passing classes and they make sure the seniors will graduate. The college and career center makes us seniors turn in important documents. They want all of us to go to college. They talk to us if we have problems at home and/or school problems. They are strict to make sure we all move on .The administrators stop the problem before it could be dangerous. They make sure to be role models to show the are doing what they want us to do. They want us to be successful when we are adults. They want us to be able to be successful in our lives. The administrators and teachers make sure the students are safe at all times.
I attended Akins High School for four years. I was in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) academy. The teachers in this academy did a really good job engaging with their students and making it a priority to have interactive classroom lectures. Akins had other academies such as AHA ( Arts and Humanities Academy), ABLLE (Academy of Business, Leadership and Legal Enterprises), GTA (Green Tech Academy), SSA (Social Services Academy) and last but not least NTA (New Tech Academy). These were academies that students chose from based on the career field they wanted to pursue. There were always events taking place at Akins. Prep-rallies, fundraisers, dances- I wasn't the a student that had much school spirit but it was easy to tell which students did. Akins was full of the typical high school experience. It was a good four years. I walked out of that school with my life long friends, and my career goals right in the palm of my hands.
I loved the teachers at this school but the administration was constantly breathing down the necks of the teachers and forcing them to teach in a manner that was strict, brainless, and lacked creativity.
No school is perfect. Yes, Akins had some problems but it was original and unique. I made lifelong bonds with the teachers and my classmates. Akins made my high school experience fun and exciting. They were especially helpful when I went through the worse illness in my life. My junior year I was diagnosed with a very rare brain disease called CNS Vasculitis. I had 2 strokes and multiple seizures. Leading up to those strokes, I was missing school with flu like symptoms and terrible headaches, yet all of my teachers worked with me to help me succeed. When I did have the strokes, I was in the hospital for 2 months and returned to school after another month and a 1/2 and I was greeted with so much support. I got the proper accommodations and help that I needed. I couldn't imagine a better place to come back to. I am forever grateful to Akins. It's such a shame that Dr. Akins passed away recently, he was such a great inspiration and loved by all, and I’m glad to be a part of his legacy.
If you have OCD or Autism this school will treat you like a misfit toy! The staff is under qualified and have little to know training in special ed or mental health.
Akins High school focuses on college readiness more than anything, it not only wants their students to excel in college , also to give them all the tools they need to do so. From my expirence teachers are splendid at their job, because Akins High School choses only the beSt teachers to prepare the student on their journey. Akins high school has many counselors that help on everything they can. Akins high school is the schooldest you deserve.
I cannot say that Akins High School is a good school. Throughout the years I have served as a student to this school, I must say that the school does not value education and is highly unorganized. It seldom focuses on the individuals who wish to improve and have dreams of succeeding in life. There are a few teachers who respect that their students are trying and help them out all the same, however, I find it sad to say that is not always the case. A good half of the teachers here fail to have sufficient class plans, and hardly help the students. As for the school in general, the school fails to provide textbooks for the students. This is unacceptable because of the fact that if a student falls behind, they will have no resources to review and catch up. Overall, the school had potential but it wasted it by being lazy and failing to provide a clear path for the students.
Review Akins High School
I'm currently enrolled at Akins, and I love it here. There's so much support for students who are stressed or going through a rough period in their lives. The teachers are understanding, and the lessons are relevant. I do think the students could be more respectful, but classroom management generally isn't an issue. There is an emphasis on the adversity different people may face, which really helps students understand view points other than their own.
STEM academy was the best experience ever. It is where I fell in love with engineering. I took all the engineering classes and challenged myself through the OnRamps program.
What I like about Akins is that it's very opened to the things you will like to major in when u graduate. Akins helps you get a head start on how it feels to be in college. What I would like to see a change in, is teachers to be more lenient, understanding and helpful