A.G. West Black Hills High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+85 Students
- A+79 Students
- A-61 Students
- B-52 Students
- B41 Students
- B-33 Students
- A-30 Students
- B+29 Students
- A-26 Students
- B25 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.14 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.14 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 42 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.20 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.26 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.27 responses
A.G. West Black Hills High School Reviews
Review A.G. West Black Hills High School
As dull as high school can be at times, I've always enjoyed my time and classes at Black Hills. Many of the teachers are engaging and focused on making it as interesting, easy or challenging (depending on the course), and engaging as possible. The staff care a lot about the success of each student and works hard to be inclusive and create a safe environment for everyone. Many courses include appealing projects and opportunities that benefit all. The school spirit is high and creates a very unified community between the students and staff. I enjoy the challenge many of the courses and teachers provide that keeps the course content interesting.
For a smaller school, 800-1000 students, there is a good selection of classes and AP courses. There are lots of passionate teachers that I connected with and learned from in many ways beyond the curriculum. Despite a lack of demographic diversity in the students and faculty, it provided an accepting warmth even to a queer person of color such as myself. The athletic department has a hand full of outstanding programs and has produced several gifted athletes. The most prominent asset of BHHS must be the performing arts. The well-known marching band yields around 115 students from both middle schools and both high schools in the district. The marching band also does very well at competition along with the percussion ensemble that has gone to state competition over 15 times in 19 years total and has placed among the top 3 several times. The band launched myself and many other musicians into their musical careers because of the friendly atmosphere and directors.
My experience here at Black Hills High School have been extremely diverse, while the school population is limited, the staff and students that I have worked closely with have been pleasant. The academic options available are limited in their scope, and do not prepare you well for life beyond high school or college, and getting the rescourses you need in order to be prepared is a challenge and often impossible. Parent involvement is rare and thus many extracurricular activities are unavailable or limited in availability. However for all of this, one of my greatest joys is the band program, which has provided me with the means to meet new and friendly people and connect with my community. Overall my high school has many shortcomings, but my involvement in its music program has made it all worthwhile.