Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepC+
- Clubs & ActivitiesB
- Health & SafetyB+
- Resources & FacilitiesA
Afton Middle/High School is a public school located in Afton, NY. It has 247 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 9 to 1. According to state test scores, 42% of students are at least proficient in math and 52% in reading.
Afton Middle/High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.4 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.4 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.4 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.4 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.4 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.5 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.6 responses
Schools like Afton Middle/High School
- C+Harpursville Junior/Senior High School
- Harpursville Central School District, NY
- 100 reviews
- B+Greene High School
- Greene Central School District, NY
- 65 reviews
- B-Oxford Academy High School
- Oxford Academy and Central School District, NY
- 31 reviews
- CGilbertsville-Mount Upton Junior/Senior High School
- Gilbertsville-Mount Upton Central School District, NY
- 27 reviews
Afton Middle/High School Reviews
I went to Afton from 2005-2019 as well, things are starting to get better thanks to new administration, but you have to connect with them! Still room for improvement. The biggest flaw is not being involved also. Really the only time everyone comes together is for Field Hockey and Softball which are very solid and makes the school reputable. I was a part of the field hockey team alongside the Varsity Program from freshman to senior. I played more Varsity than JV my freshman year so I counted that as 4 and was a part of all 3 Section 4 championship bound teams and the team that went to States. It’s become one of the best in Section 4 and the State. Most of my friends are underclassmen and really you grow to love your underclassmen friends. Afton will always have something with me and the people I grew up with are people I won’t forget. The teachers I had, most of them go beyond the classroom.
I went to Afton from 2005-2019. Things are working slowly to improve the school, but the biggest flaw is some students are not engaged. You will find hard-working students though. There is rarely any drama from upperclassmen, but underclassmen will not bother you. Most of the teachers are amazing and go beyond teaching. Our two best programs are Field Hockey and Softball which makes the school great and brings the community and student body together. There is a new Administration who are nice, but you have to connect with them.
I like the ability for students to earn college credits while still in highschool. What i would like to change about the school is the involvement of students in some of the decisions that are made by administration.