Adlai E. Stevenson High School Reviews

Stevenson has a great art and tech department. They really value getting each student interested in something.
During my time at Adlai E. Stevenson High School, I felt like the school accepted students from all walks of life. With over 4000 students attending, even the most unusual student can find friends who hold similar values. Stevenson dismisses school on holidays, such as Casimir Pulaski and Yom Kippur, that reflect the diversity of the student body. Academically, Stevenson is strong, offering over 200 courses and over 20 AP classes. However, Stevenson recognizes that not every student can take 10 or more AP classes during their high school career. Students are encouraged to meet with their counselor privately to discuss an appropriate course load. And with over 100 extracurricular clubs to choose from (Interests range from Anime to Superheroes to Helping Soldiers), students are guaranteed to find their place during their four years of high school.
Stevenson is a highly competitive school that offers lots of academic and extracurricular opportunities for students. The culture of the school is one that highly values academic achievement, making it a great school for preparing students for college. Since the school has a lot of money, they are constantly renovating and trying to make things better. The only drawback to this is that sometimes they don't spend money in the right places.
Review Adlai E. Stevenson High School
I am currently a senior at Stevenson High School, and I feel beyond privileged to go to school here. I am given so many opportunities such as joining some of over 100 clubs offered, joining any honor society you can imagine, and designing my schedule the way I want. However, this school is definitely a pressure cooker; I took 5 AP courses junior year and am taking 5 this year. Taking extremely difficult classes (and doing well in them) is a part of the culture at Stevenson, but I wish there wasn't so much pressure put on us as students to take all of these intense classes in the name of college readiness. I'm so glad I was able to go to such an amazing school, despite its drawbacks.
Stevenson is one of the best high schools in the nation and it definitely proved itself to be. I went there from 2008-2012 and can say now as a college student it prepared me very well if not better than most of the kids I go to college with now. It was an exceptional education and the teachers for the most part are very competent and caring for their students. It is a wonderful environment for learning and exposes kids to an array of different opinions.
Prominent high school devoted to preparing their students for college. Classes were challenging and additional help was always available.
The school has good teachers, a strong academic program, and many many extracurricular activities to participate in. You won't lack any opportunity and can easily be a well-rounded student in a school like this.
The school itself was fantastic, however, the student population was extremely large and lacked diversity. Most of the teachers were very good and didn't hesitate to help a student in need.
Stevenson gave me a lot of freedom, and also the teachers were all amazing and had an impact on me in some way.
As a recent graduate, I am both relieved and sad that I will have to leave behind Stevenson and move on to college. The school is often rated as one of the top schools in the state and sometimes in the nation, and I believe it deserves that ranking in terms of academics. The academics can be rigorous, and at times that creates a competitive environment that can place too much stress on the students. On the other hand, the school does a very good job in preparing students for college because of the academics, and with resources like the Freshman Mentor Program to the College Career Center, students are guided through high school the entire way.
I love the competitive nature of Stevenson, this has always pushed me farther to success in a way I feel no other high school would have given to me. Stevensons large population (around 4000 students) may seem intimidating, but it just gives students more chances to see how diverse other students views and cultures are.
I love the variety of class choices at Stevenson, and in my opinion, the majority of the teachers are extremely intelligent and passionate about what they teach. Ive never felt unsafe or that I don't belong at Stevenson--I have met so many amazing, new friends. In addition, Stevenson changed the school day last year so it starts a half hour later than it had in the past, now starting at 8:30am. However, I would appreciate if teachers would try their best to not assign busywork for homework. The workload is usually extremely rigorous and I often have trouble balancing my schoolwork and extra-curricular activities.
Stevenson High School is an amazing place to learn and grow as an individual. With over 300 clubs and 30 varsity sports, each student can find their own niche to develop their character.
Stevenson is a great school that provides students with a vast amount of resources. It lacks in diversity, but prepares students well for college.
Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play
Hey now, you're a rock star, get the show on, get paid
And all that glitters is gold
Only shooting stars break the mold
Stevenson is a great school. The benefits of attending a school with a student population of around 4000 are that students have so many opportunities. SHS has over 100 clubs and sports teams for students. Aside from the social benefits, Stevenson's academics are like none other. SHS offers around 20-30 AP classes and has a very supportive and knowledgeable teaching staff. I would give SHS a 5 star rating, however, its push for academic rigor can at times create a overly stressful and competitive environment for students.
when I first entered this school I was a sophomore and I was scared to be in a new high school but I was also excited because this is a beautiful high school with a lot of resources. There are also friendly people who can help you along the way through your high school experience and I met some really amazing teachers my sophomore year and I am really thankful that I met them.
Review Adlai E. Stevenson High School
Very competitive! Great academics and co-curricular activities! The teachers are amazing! Very little socioeconomic diversity. The principal is terrible and so is the director of athletics!
Teachers are all great. They're willing to help and genuinely enjoy teaching. Some kids are not always focused, but most try to do the best they can. There are a lot of opportunities to build your skills and knowledge, and join clubs and even get real life experience. The support teams really help you to explore your options and plan for the future.
Stevenson is a school with many opportunities in sports, clubs, classes, events, etc. There's something for everyone, no matter who you are or what you like.