Adlai E. Stevenson High School Reviews

1,033 reviews
I never thought I would have such a great experience. Every teacher I've had has gone above and beyond to make my four years here successful. I'm truly going to miss this place.
Great school with teachers willing to help students whenever needed. Along with great teachers a tutoring center is also available just in case students need more help.
1) write in 'test' into blank option
5) it tells me to please enter at least 2 characters
... but there are 4 characters in Test and that's in the line still1) write in 'test' into blank option
... but there are 4 characters in Test and that's in the line still
Start Your Review of Adlai E. Stevenson High School
However, especially with the new EBR grading system, this experience can become excessively stressful. Many students will struggle with making sure they get a 3 or a 4 on a test in every category. I have broken down many times in the short few months I have been here due to the new EBR grading system. With the high intellectual capabilities in this school, anything less than top-notch feels like failure. Dropping a class to move lower is viewed with disdain from teachers and peers. The environment here is toxic , where only the very top students will succeed and stand out. Even though i would be considered a student with higher academics (Geometry HN, Chem ACC, Spanish 2-3x, Eng ACC), I have considered dropping out of this school all together due to the stress and anxiety experienced regularly. Additionally, there is an abundance of favoritism in this school, ranging from the teachers to athletic coaches.
The competitiveness at Stevenson has made me push myself farther than I otherwise would've. I'm a senior who will have taken 8 AP classes by the time I graduate, I've gotten 3 B's and the rest all A's, and have taken the SAT time and time again until I got a good score. Still, I'm compared by colleges to my other peers who have taken more difficult classes and have perfect grades. I feel like the school culture makes students feel like they are slacking if they are not perfect.

Other than that if you find a good group of friends and a passion, Stevenson is a great experience. It is super easy to join or even create clubs for your passion.
Greatest school in the world. Pretty much everything about it is amazing. Teachers are so supportive and caring. They have free tutoring. The food is amazing. There are so many extracurricular activities and sports.
Stevenson is an incredible school. I am involved in multiple programs the school has to offer. I am involved in mentoring freshman, the national honors society, intramural sports, lacrosse, and students helping soldiers. If students have any questions about clubs or the school in general, they have multiple support systems around the school. There are counselors, social workers, deans, and even college counselors. All in all, everything from the academics to activities are well structured and efficient. As a student, I love being able to go to Stevenson High School.
It was an incredible and challenging experience. While I am thankful for the lessons learned, my very tedious schedule due to the AP culture at this school caused me a lot of stress. While it was my personal decision to take those AP courses, I felt that it was the norm at my school rather than an exception.
The school itself is able to provide its students with a wide range of opportunities. They also have the financial capabilities to have a wide range of clubs, classes, and passionate faculty to encourage students to pursue any career path. However, the atmosphere is uber competitive and can be very stressful at times. My biggest piece of advice to fully enjoy the school is focus on doing what you like, because you're bound to find your niche (no pun intended!) at this school!
Although the stress and pressure to succeed at Stevenson can be overwhelming, the school really prepares its students for their future. The majority of the teachers here are professionals in their line of work and are very open-minded to the needs of the students.
I had a great experience at Stevenson High School. They are very good at preparing you for college and have very rigorous academics.
The teachers are very friendly and passionate about teaching. They're very good at their job. The classes are fast-paced but the teachers are always available for extra help. The kids tend to be polite and willing to help each other out. Everyone hear studies very well so there is some competition but it's not intense.
School spirit is big here and there are programs to help students adjust to high school life. The school uses their resources well (ex. bulletproof glass) and the building as a whole is very nice and clean.
I really loved Stevenson for how much it prepared me for college, but I always felt like if I went to a different school I’d be a big fish in a little pond instead of just a normal fish in an ocean. There are so many exceptional students that are made to feel average because their classmates are all doing the same things.
Stevenson is a great place to learn and go to school. There are so many resources for the students to utilize to help them be successful in their academic, and athletic endeavors. The teachers and other staff members are very helpful in being supportive to the students with whatever they need help with, whether school related or life related.
The academics, while rigorous, push students to be the best they can possibly. At times the competitive culture can be overwhelming, but students can find any help they should desire from their various teachers and/or tutoring/help services the school offers.
Stevenson has great academic resources and amazing teachers. There are many extracurricular opportunities.
Great school with lots of opportunities and great teachers. Counselors May be somewhat unhelpful though
Start Your Review of Adlai E. Stevenson High School
This school is amazing. So far I’ve had an amazing experience there, save one teacher. I wouldn’t change anything at all.
A little stressful, but the school is very good and can easily give the education needed to get into a very good college.
Adlai E Stevenson is not only one of the best public schools in the country, it holds a special place in my heart. Despite differences that divide us, this school has really motivated the students and staff to come together and be a part of something great regardless of gender identity, race, ethnicity, etc. For example, my sociology class dives deep into struggles that students have phased due to their outward appearance or aspects about themselves, and overall the school has made many people feel accepted. The school's amenities are thought out to the tee and I don't doubt that I am ready to take on my years in college. Along with these positive aspects come struggles as well. An extremely competitive atmosphere is present and there are those who sometimes crack under the pressure. With that being said, the ultimate pressure allows for a hardworking and focused environment, and teaches mental toughness in the workplace and for whatever life throws.