Adlai E. Stevenson High School Reviews

1,044 reviews
It’s been wonderful 4 years of great academic, social and athletic experience. The school is extremely strong academically, which creates a positive challenging atmosphere for driven students. The school is very large, 4500 students, but still feels like a family.
Stevenson is an overall very great school. Vast resources are provided for success as teachers are available as well as tutors, online resources, etc. The athletics can be competitive, however are pretty satisfactory. A major downfall of Stevenson, however, is the competitiveness that is very detrimental to many students. It's almost as if your best isn't good enough, and you will never be smarter than the other people around you. It's a very fragile environment and big school, but once you find your comfort zone, it can seem small and manageable.
Very good academics and extra curricular programs but also competitive in every aspect which is the best type of stress I could have gotten it pushed me to try harder
Start Your Review of Adlai E. Stevenson High School
I love Adlai E. Stevenson because the teachers and administration are very inclusive and support my goals in life while encouraging me to do my best in everything I am involved in. The atmosphere of Stevenson High School is both competitive and involved because we place importance on doing well in school and participating in multiple clubs and sports.
Stevenson High School is lucky enough to have access to numerous resources, and while more often than not this proves beneficial to students, there are drawbacks. Students are incredibly sheltered from many common issues, and the pressure to go beyond doing well is incredible, often to the point of students frequently partaking in less than savory acts in order to attempt to keep this image and to meet the high standards. Beyond the issues, however, it is an incredibly diverse, supportive environment, and much more conducive to growth than expected in a public high school setting.
As a transfer student, I had the easiest transition imaginable. They have a program set for transfer students focused on making the transition smooth and easy. Without this program I feel that I would not have had the same and easy experience starting at a new school halfway through high school.
Stevenson is a great school filled with great opportunities, that are available to any student. There are an immense amount of clubs and if a student can’t find one that they want to join they can create their own. I can confidently say that Stevenson has excellent teachers. They are always willing to help me if I need it. One issue that I have with Stevenson is that there isn’t nearly enough parking for students.
Stevenson is the best public school in the nation if you are looking for a challenging school with a motivated student body. We have teachers from renowned institutions like, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Michigan, etc. Also, with over 4,000 students and 2 main buildings, there is more than enough things to do and excel at; whether it calligraphy club or the archery team, there is no shortage of activities.
As a student who has spent my past 4 years at Stevenson High School in Lincolnshire Illinois, I enjoyed the opportunities that I was able to pursue. Whether it be STEM internships over the summer, higher level classes or an assortment of extracurriculars, I was able to keep myself busy and challenge my potential as a student. However, the cut-throat environment that is prevalent throughout the school is an aspect that I believe can be changed. Instead of competition, Stevenson needs to prioritize collaboration within the student body. All in all, my experience was a very unforgettable and enjoyable one.
I loved attending Stevenson, because it was diverse, had great programs, clubs, and professors, and an amazing atmosphere overall. The campus is great, the courses really prepare you for higher education, and there are a plethora of clubs and organizations that range from fishing to military.
Stevenson is a school that prepares you for college. Even though during your time here you may feel like this school is the worst, once you enter college you will be extremely grateful for what Stevenson has taught you.
I never thought I would have such a great experience. Every teacher I've had has gone above and beyond to make my four years here successful. I'm truly going to miss this place.
Great school with teachers willing to help students whenever needed. Along with great teachers a tutoring center is also available just in case students need more help.
1) write in 'test' into blank option
5) it tells me to please enter at least 2 characters
... but there are 4 characters in Test and that's in the line still1) write in 'test' into blank option
... but there are 4 characters in Test and that's in the line still
However, especially with the new EBR grading system, this experience can become excessively stressful. Many students will struggle with making sure they get a 3 or a 4 on a test in every category. I have broken down many times in the short few months I have been here due to the new EBR grading system. With the high intellectual capabilities in this school, anything less than top-notch feels like failure. Dropping a class to move lower is viewed with disdain from teachers and peers. The environment here is toxic , where only the very top students will succeed and stand out. Even though i would be considered a student with higher academics (Geometry HN, Chem ACC, Spanish 2-3x, Eng ACC), I have considered dropping out of this school all together due to the stress and anxiety experienced regularly. Additionally, there is an abundance of favoritism in this school, ranging from the teachers to athletic coaches.
The competitiveness at Stevenson has made me push myself farther than I otherwise would've. I'm a senior who will have taken 8 AP classes by the time I graduate, I've gotten 3 B's and the rest all A's, and have taken the SAT time and time again until I got a good score. Still, I'm compared by colleges to my other peers who have taken more difficult classes and have perfect grades. I feel like the school culture makes students feel like they are slacking if they are not perfect.

Other than that if you find a good group of friends and a passion, Stevenson is a great experience. It is super easy to join or even create clubs for your passion.
Greatest school in the world. Pretty much everything about it is amazing. Teachers are so supportive and caring. They have free tutoring. The food is amazing. There are so many extracurricular activities and sports.
Start Your Review of Adlai E. Stevenson High School
Stevenson is an incredible school. I am involved in multiple programs the school has to offer. I am involved in mentoring freshman, the national honors society, intramural sports, lacrosse, and students helping soldiers. If students have any questions about clubs or the school in general, they have multiple support systems around the school. There are counselors, social workers, deans, and even college counselors. All in all, everything from the academics to activities are well structured and efficient. As a student, I love being able to go to Stevenson High School.
It was an incredible and challenging experience. While I am thankful for the lessons learned, my very tedious schedule due to the AP culture at this school caused me a lot of stress. While it was my personal decision to take those AP courses, I felt that it was the norm at my school rather than an exception.
The school itself is able to provide its students with a wide range of opportunities. They also have the financial capabilities to have a wide range of clubs, classes, and passionate faculty to encourage students to pursue any career path. However, the atmosphere is uber competitive and can be very stressful at times. My biggest piece of advice to fully enjoy the school is focus on doing what you like, because you're bound to find your niche (no pun intended!) at this school!