Acalanes High School Reviews

Acalanes High School has an amazing, safe, and humble environment where the students thrive on and off campus. The access to accelerated learning and advantages over students from other areas is evident. Acalanes has fostered a school where the intellectual opportunities for students are limitless, with access to advanced technology, a catering staff, and a safe, structured environment. Although, the diversity is low at Acalanes, everyone is welcomed and celebrated for their differences. Acalanes is creating the leaders of tomorrow.
I really like this school, its been a lot of fun. The teachers for the most part are really good and truly do care about their students success. Of course just like at any school some teachers suck. One of the really great teachers is Freeman, he's crazy but you learn and ton and theres never a boring moment. We have a lot of fun things that happen on campus and there is a lot of support for students. Theres a lot of support for the freshman to make them feel welcomed, especial for district transfers and non-stanley students. Theres also really great support for seniors and helping them get ready for college or whatever their next steps are.
I liked the teachers because they were all nice and easy to talk to when you need help, but teaching wise most of them were not that good. In addition the facilities could have been better. One thing that I would like to change about Acalanes would be diversity because as a school it doesn't have that much diversity.
Start Your Review of Acalanes High School
Acalanes had a great environment that was welcoming and inclusive. It would be great to see more school spirit at football games and other sporting events, as well as plays, musicals, and other shows.
Being a minority in the school, it was hard to relate to others, since I lived in a different city and did not attend the same middle school as the others. Most kids and teachers are friendly, but there are a specific few that are terrible. Some student groups are incredibly exclusive and judgemental, and some are just plain fake. Most teachers are helpful, but others are plain lazy and enjoy making students miserable by not providing them any help at all but piling on the homework.
Acalanes prepares you for college. Many teachers really care about your education although there are a few, and you will hear stories about them, that don't. Although there isn't that much diversity on campus, this is compensated for by the abundance of clubs and the welcoming environment of the community, students and faculty. Overall, while there may be a few issues with this school, they pale in comparison to the safety of the students and their education.
I throughly enjoyed my time at Acalanes, except for the lack of school spirit. Few people are spirited at this school, and it was a real shame.
Acalanes is a great school with teachers that really care about their student's education. The school provides several activities to keep students interested and involved on campus.
I had an interesting experience at Acalanes High School. There are some truly amazing and inspiring teachers at this school that want nothing more than to see their students succeed. However, there are also some exceptionally horrible teachers here as well. I've enjoyed going to school here for sure but some teachers have tarnished my experience and made me absolutely hate coming to school. I would definitely like to see some teachers fired that deserve to b for obvious reasons.
We have had two of our children attend Acalanes and had a very positive experience overall. The school does a terrific job preparing students for college while also providing school spirit through it's sports and performing arts.
I like the ranking categories. If you can add a comment section or subcategories, more insight might be gained. Thank you!
During my entire high school career so far, I've come to really appreciate the school district I was able to enroll in. Comparing to friends and cousins who go to other schools, I realize how different school education and communities can be. At Acalanes, almost all my teachers have been extremely helpful and kind. Everyday we make use of class time to actually learn. I've also noticed that we don't have any serious bullying going on and have a very strong LGBTQ community and acceptance which I also am very proud of. I always feel safe at school and classmates aren't afraid to debate about serious topics during class without fear which they might feel at other places. Something I would like to see changed though is just overall school spirit. I know this isn't something that can be changed by choice, but if our student leaders found a better way to announce our activities and excite students more I think it could make the overall school experience a lot more fun at school.
Some teachers are nice and helpful, but there are some teachers who are really biased when they grade. As well, some teachers don't help out there students when they need help.
The academics itself are great! If you are more studious, there are a lot of AP classes to choose from, but they are primarily math, science and history. Unfortunately because the school isn't huge, there are not a plethora of classes to choose from.

Some of the teachers are truly inspirational. I would say the strongest departments are history, and the sciences. Many students love physiology, and physiology.

The workload is really dependent upon the student. It can either be very difficult or family easy depending on how much work you want to put in. Most students take at least 2 honors of AP classes during their time at Acalanes. Some even students take all weighted classes. Overall, the workload is quite a bit- I would even say too much. I am a student who challenged myself in high school, and I can say there were several times were I was too tired to function.

My advice would to find a balance and participate in fun extracurriculars that you enjoy.
Acalanes does not have a very diverse campus in terms of race and culture, but there is a diverse student body in terms of personal interests and personalities.

I would say that there is a lot of peer pressure, but I do not think this is unique to Acalanes. I think this is not only common in most high schools, but society as a whole.
Acalanes is a very accepting community of students. People of different races, cultures, religions and sexual orientations have a lot of support on campus either through clubs, teachers, counselors and other students as well. I have never experienced bullying to be a large issue on campus- the primary type of bullying would be on social media, such as Facebook, askfm, or instagram. There is a school security officer on campus at all times, but he is never really called for encompass violence (he is also extremely nice and will give you rides in his golf cart if he knows you).

There are not a lot of health programs on campus for students. Although there is a school nurse and a weekly mindfulness group, I hope to see health programs become more prominant in the future. Many students are overworked, stressed out, anxious, tired, depressed and more, and I think Acalanes could do a better job harvesting a more balanced and healthy community of kids.
Sports are huge at Acalanes, mainly because there are no cuts for most teams. They are a great opportunity for students to make new friends and get physical activity. Although most people can participate in any sport, they are still quite competitive for playing time. Additionally, the arts are phenomenal; the plays, musical, choir and instrumental music program are all well known in this area (especially band and the musicals). Honestly, there is not a lot to do on campus, other than see sporting events. Most upperclassmen begin to hang out in Berkeley, SF, Santa Cruz or neighboring cities on the weekends and Friday nights. Locally, students tend to hike a lot as there are not a lot of other activities.
Start Your Review of Acalanes High School
Acalanes is special because there is a lot of school spirit and sense of community on campus. For that reason, coupled with the academics, I would choose to go to Acalanes all over again. With that being said, there is a lot of academic, athletic and peer pressure to preform at a very high level, which can be very exhausting.
Acalanes has a very supportive and well educated staff. For the most part, teachers are available outside of class if you need help- as long as you communicate with them what you need help with. Like any school, there will always be teachers who are not your favorite, but if there are any problems, the school counselors can be very helpful (especially if you work to create a relationship with them).
SAGE and science bowl good