Academy of Urban Learning Reviews

Good tools to use for my future
Over all I love it nice people and friendly is like my family.
I get to meet people !
Start Your Review of Academy of Urban Learning
Really big place , it's like I've been in the future or something.
The school did not have a gym, but they had a playground outside the building, and they had some sports equipment (balls and jump ropes) available. The playground had basketball hoops and hop scotch, a swing set, and a jungle gym. People would bring their kids there to play sometimes, outside of school hours.

Despite the limited space, the school had physical activities set up for after school hours. Zumba, soccer, basketball, and judo were all available at one point. They were hosted in the rec center just up the street from the school. These activities were all free to students. Students also got passes to the rec center, so they could use the gym and the pool whenever they wanted to.
AUL has a zero-tolerance bullying policy. Anyone caught bullying is confronted by a staff member. They have a system called Restorative Justice, or RJ for short. Instead of just giving students detention or suspending them from school when there's a conflict, they'll have a meeting with the student(s) to allow them to share their side(s) of the story, and to discuss how they can resolve the conflict. This usually works, and I've seen it put students in better moods.

For security, the school had one security guard, who was really friendly and was patient with all of the students. He would never try to physically discipline students, and would try to help them talk things out if they were having issues. He patrolled the school during class hours, and the campus during lunch. They also have visitors sign in, and all of the doors except for the front door were locked. The locked doors had alarms on them.

As far as health programs go, they had a school nurse who would do her best to try to answer any student's health questions. They had pamphlets on things like the flu, cold, pregnancy, safe sex, cancer, smoking, and STDs available to students. They also had a program called NOT, which students could attend to learn more about drugs, smoking, and alcohol, and it also helped students learn how to overcome addictions.

Overall, I felt safe at the school. In fact, it's where I felt safest, for a while. Most of the students attending actually want to go to school, and the staff would NEVER put their hands on the students. The students' well being also seems to be the top-priority of the staff members.
I didn't graduate. Am I still eligible? I dropped out due to mental health problems, but I did receive my G.E.D. Anyway, after getting my G.E.D, I felt proud. I felt like I may not have been able to pass some of the tests if it weren't for AUL. As far as preparedness, I don't remember how prepared I felt. I was still dealing with personal issues, and although I didn't feel like I could move on to college at that point, I did feel like I was ready to take things one step at a time. I.e, first step is get a therapist, second step is make a wellness plan with them, third step is apply for college, etc. However, while I was attending AUL, I was given the opportunity to apply for an internship. I applied, and landed the job. Yay! I feel like this did prepare me for future jobs, and I even learned that I can, in fact, do public presentations.
Academy of Urban Learning was my savior. I had been to a few different schools in my life, had tried home schooling, and didn't even go to school for a while. When I finally decided that I should go back to school, AUL was the first school I looked at. I fell in love with it right away. The staff seemed friendly, the school was small and wasn't intimidating, the curriculum sounded nice, and the fact that they had an academic adviser specifically for special-ed students made it seem like a good fit for me. On my very first day, I made friends, and bonded with my adviser. Within the first week, I felt comfortable around the students and staff, which is a big deal for me because I've never felt safe in a school before. In that same week, I worked with my adviser and the principle to figure out what classes I needed to take to get the credits I needed to graduate. Those classes weren't very challenging for me, but when I did meet a challenge, the teachers would work with me individually and help me work through the problem step-by-step until I understood and had learned something. They were very patient and compassionate with the students, and always willing to lend an ear if a student needed to vent about something. The school offered a lot of programs to help students find housing, jobs, internships, and shelters, among other things. The building is small and doesn't have a gym, but the principal had activities such as Zumba, soccer, and basketball set up outside of school. We also got library cards and passes for the rec center that was nearby, which has a gym, pool, and basketball court.

There's so much more I could say, and I could go on forever about how much I loved this school, but I want to keep this somewhat short. Overall, the curriculum was great, the staff as patient and compassionate, the other students were nice, and I learned a lot there.