Academy of the Pacific Rim Charter Public School Reviews

This school is very diverse and accepting. We learned the basics in this school. The school building isn't the best, and I wish we learned more things that are useful in the real world, but people are usually accepting of everyone's background, religion, beliefs, etc. and the teachers are usually fun, understanding and not very strict. This school also has some cool events (Black History Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, etc.).
My experience at this school has been an emotional roller coaster. I’ve been there since I was in the fifth grade and now I’m a senior. I wish I would’ve have transferred to another school. This school over does it with their awards. They consistently only focus on the students getting awards instead of helping the kids that simply need help then go on to belittle the kids that reach out for the extra help, speaking to them in a very condescending manner. They do a good job on getting the kids with 4.0 to top schools. Secretly inviting Ivy League schools to only meet about 10 students then continuously force everyone else to take the path of getting a GED. They let us struggle in silence while they support the kids that they only want to support.
my time at APR was not so pleasant. everytime i want to go to the school nurse all she does is gives out ice packs and band aids,, and if its nothing serious she just sends you back to your class and tells you to come back later which we all know no one will do. i dont appreciate how she has an attitude when u stick your head in the office while she is dealing with a patient. other then that the people at apr are not so pleasant. they bully teachers and make them cry,, the snatch peoples weave. ect the teachers may be nice accept for when they give you an authorized even if you are in the classroom right in front of them. but apr is ok could do better. thankyou for your time
Start Your Review of Academy of the Pacific Rim Charter Public School
APR is an excellent charter school. While some schools focus solely on academics the teachers at APR reward Kaizen and Gambatte, which translates roughly to continual improvement and never giving up. That means that even if a student isn't at the top of the class, he or she is celebrated for the effort and the willingness to stretch. An example is the requirement that all students learn Mandarin. Most students would argue that they wouldn't be able to learn to read and write such a complicated language, but they all achieve some level of proficiency as long as they work hard. By focusing on character, the faculty is able to pull out the best of students, whatever their individual skills may be. Almost all student go on to higher study, and that is because there is an expectation that students will stretch themselves and not give up. APR has been a great character building environment, which, in turn, leads to academic success.
APR is an amazing place to grow academically, with dedicated teachers and yearning to learn students. APR has slowly moved to become more progressive in its non-academic life, the diversity amongst the faculty has gradually increased since my start as a 5th grade student. Student agency is a unique factor of APR, however the approach of student to the administrative body could be improved in seeing direct progressive of issues. We take pride as a school in our academics, but not in our spirit as a community. We need that pride, and more importantly to wear that pride...we go to an awesome school, why not show it off?
My experience at the Academy of The Pacific Rim was overall pretty good. I enjoyed building connections with my teachers and took advantage of some resources that they provided for students and I. For example, I got into a program called Summer Search, which basically made sure students in High School were successful and prepared for College. Although Academy of the Pacific Rim was a really good experience for me academically, I wished they had more sport clubs such as football, swimming, fencing, and squash.
Teachers and academics were great, but social life and extra curriculars were not up to par. The school focused too much on academics and not building a well rounded student.
I got bullied everyday by kids in my grade to the point where I felt suicidal and developed anxiety. My self esteem was horrible and I didn’t even wanna go out in public. But even so, I made some friends who stood by me through this horrible experience and cared about me so much and I’m glad I got to meet these rare gems. My teachers have tried but these kids are just horrible cold hearted people... there needs to be more emphasis on bullying because I feel like these kids are event being punished enough for their actions. The way they treat people is actually horrible and sad. There have been teachers who quit bc the kids are so damn mean and I’ve had friends who have told me that this school is the reason they are so messed up today.. it’s sad.
The things I love about Academy of the Pacific Rim is how much the school prepares students for college. The school is really small which makes it easier for one on one help with a teacher.
Great experience, dedicated teachers. Teachers in this school take a personal interest in the learning of the students. Students often develop emotional attachment to the material making it likely that they get an in depth understanding of it, often having conversations about it outside of school. Curriculum is unlike any other school, as the teachers have a hand in creating it so students often get fresh new outlooks on subjects like algebra, English, and history, learning things other students don't learn for several years ahead, allowing students to deeply comprehend and process the world around them.
I went to APR from grades 6-12. In the beginning, I did not like the school but it became better. Over the years, many teachers have pushed me, even when I didn't want to be pushed, in order to reach my full potential. I learned confidence and how to hold my self accountable for my actions. I learned how to be a team member, a citizen and a friend. There's already a community in APR but I often found myself disconnected from the courses I was in. I think mixing current events with the interests of the students while maintaining the requirements for each grade level would be a great addition to APR. I think there should be more clubs offered at APR, such as language clubs or coding clubs. It would certainly unlock the potential of many and bring them out of their comfort zones. My experience at APR wasn't always pleasant but I learned so much about myself and about the world. Success is what you make it, but it takes a village.
One of the best schools any parent can send their child to! Teachers provide students with the help they need constantly. Expose their students to other cultures, as well as, teaching students discipline and character.
The school needs to be teaching more about the American History. Overall the school is good and very challenging for the students.
I feel like I may be based to certain teachers due to the fact that I like some of my teachers more than others. Overall however it is safe to say that my teachers have taught me a lot and I would not be where I am to day without all the teachers in my life who've helped up to this point in my life.
Favorite experience is being in an english seminar class. My school is unique because it provides hands on help and they help guide you through it all. I wouldnt choose another school because I wouldnt succeed anywhere else
All the experiences whether they were good or bad help shape me as a person and I think its important to learn from the bad situations that are encountered.
Guidance counselors are great, along with the teachers.
Start Your Review of Academy of the Pacific Rim Charter Public School
I feel that going off to get higher education can really get people to the careers that they want to have. I feel this high school had prepared me for that.
If someone is sick than the nurse would do what that person thought is right and does helps students, but is not a doctor can only do so much. Security was okay, there was no real threat to the safety of us students, but times have changed since I left. There may or may not be a need for higher security.
The academics can be challenging at times, but the teachers there are very resourceful and help when a student needs it. The curriculum is more difficult than that of other high schools and it puts the students at a high advantage.