Academy of the Canyons Reviews

I entered Academy of the Canyons (AOC) as a freshman and I can honestly say that it was the best decision I have ever made. While I believe that I would have been perfectly happy at a regular high school, I believe that AOC has given me the best experience. I am able to take college classes at College of the Canyons and will be earning two Associate degrees by the time I graduate from high school. But I think that the best aspects of Academy of the Canyons are the teachers and the students. Every teacher that I have had at AOC have been so wonderful and caring, in addition to teaching me so much. I truly do not have the words to express how important they all have been in my high school career. I have also made the most amazing friends at AOC and I would not change this experience for the world.
I started sophmore year and I struggled to adjust at first but eventually found my way. It's a great start on college and despite senior year being competetive with what colleges you get accepted to, there's no being put down for continuing community college.
It’s a middle-college high school... so expect a different experience in comparison to other schools. However, is that good or bad? Good, in the best way. There are 100 students in your grade, everyone knows everyone. You progress as a unit and grow as individuals. In addition, the faculty is there to assist you in your strife for academic and professional success. If you want to get ahead in college credits, attend this school! You won’t regret it.
Start Your Review of Academy of the Canyons
I transferred into Academy of the Canyons as a Junior and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The coursework was rigorous, and involved a lot of hard work, but it was worth it in the end. I made much closer friends here then I ever did at my previous high school. I got to save money and as well as get a head start on my college career while my peers from my old high school struggled to make the transition into college. The counselor at Academy of the Canyons is a rockstar and puts way more time and attention into each student then my old high school counselor ever did. However, A.O.C. is not for everyone. It will require more out of you then any other traditional high schools. Your stress levels will reach to new heights and you will be challenged. You will miss out on a traditional high school experience, but post graduation you will be 10 times more prepared to succeed in university.
Academy of the Canyons is a good school to get you prepared for college. It is a unique opportunity to get ahead, but not miss out too much on the regular high school experience. There were times where I sensed a bit of favoritism by the teachers, but if you can get past that you will enjoy your time there.
Academy of the Canyons is a very academic focused school. While attending you will take highschool classes while taking college courses at College of the Canyons. Overall this school is where I met my best friend, and I got a head start on college as I will graduate with all of my general education completed.
Awesome teachers, classes, and community. I've been going here since my freshmen year and now I am about to graduate with three Associate's Degrees and almost all of my general education courses completed for the University of California system.
During my time at AOC, I was able to accomplish a lot more than I would have been given the opportunity to at other high schools because of the COC courses and other abilities offered exclusively to AOC and COC students. I was able to complete three Associates degrees by the end of my time at the school.
I transferred to Academy of the Canyons at the beginning of my junior year in high school, and it was one of the better decisions I ever made in high school. I have learned to push myself to extents I never knew I could reach and made so many new friends that made me feel proud of who I am and where I come from. I love the diversity found in the school and all the kind teachers that help the students through anything they ask. Another positive experience I gained from attending AOC is the opportunity to enroll in community college, since AOC is a Middle College High School. I have adapted to the college life extremely well and will be receiving my Associate's Degree in Psychology around the time I graduate high school! Overall, Academy of the Canyons has provided me with so many opportunities and lessons that I would not have learned elsewhere.
Very intense, stressful, no drug problem, safe, great teachers and terrible teachers just like any other school.
The best part about AOC is that it is on the campus of a community college. This means that we are allowed to take up to 11 units of colleges classes tuition-free while in high school, letting us earn enough credit to equal approximately the first two years of college and an associate's degree before we leave high school. It is a small school, which allows teachers to work with individual students to meet their goals. The student body is very diverse and very accepting.
The opportunity and freedom this High School gives my is amazing. The teachers at AOC and at COC are amazing, and getting to explore different career opportunities at a college while still in high school is amazing.
My experience at Academy of the Canyons is a unique experience that cannot be found at any other high school. Being able to experience both high school and college course, it builds better time management and knowledge. In addition, being able to earn an associate degree shows how much dedication it takes to be a middle college student. There is a multitude of support network by utilizing both the resources at the high school and college. The only thing I would change is the workload I took, but having the ability to maximize my units at AOC, I have been able to prepare for more units at the university level.
Academy of the Canyons is a middle college high school, meaning that the students attending are dually enrolled in high school and college classes at the local community college, College of the Canyons. Depending on their major and what degrees they are aiming for, students can graduate with, sometimes multiple, associate degrees by the time they graduate high school. I'd like to think that AOC has its own little niche in the SCV and I thoroughly enjoyed my time at this tiny school. With an close, family-like vibe in each grade, I was able to make friends, learn great qualities like independence, and embrace myself .
I really enjoy attending Academy of the Canyons. You get an opportunity to move ahead in regards to college. The teachers are nice and understanding. I am currently a junior there, and the teachers (both males) are nice but the workload is just...gah. I want to die, but it's for my own good:). The greatest part about AOC is getting college credit and knocking out all the GE classes required. You have a wonderful counselor to help guide you through this process. I just wish there were more clubs and sports.. but yeah, it's difficult to have clubs and sports in AOC because everyone's schedule is different. Don't expect to hang out with your BFF in school, especially if your track is different.
Academy of the Canyons is a diverse campus with teachers and administrators who truly care for the students.
AOC was a great school to attend as it really prepared you for college. Almost all of the classes are geared towards gettin gentlemen you ready for college, whether you are transferring or going direct. However, there are no sports!! It is a small school with a few clubs and some school activities. Regardless, it is a great school for non-athletes.
Start Your Review of Academy of the Canyons
Academy of the Canyons was a wonderful experience because of the challenges, the location, and the people. Overall, I was very happy at the school and I have succeed so far. Although, I must say that one adjustment the school must make it over helping students deal with stress. This could be accomplished by having a counselor on campus for students to speak to about something other than their career path. Therefore, the high school is amazing, but it cannot be perfect until the students there learn stress management.
Academy of the Canyons is a nuturing and competitive environment that allows students many opportunities. Such as, the ability to go down to College of the Canyons -- where Academy of the Canyons is loacted -- and be given a chance to take classes towards a degree.
AOC is a great alternative for learning in the Santa Clarita Valley. It's students are all really close and supportive of one another. This school really prepares us for college life since we actually take multiple unit classes on a community college campus. AOC doesn't have any sports teams, but we make up for it by competing against each other in games of flag football and basketball. Overall, I am very glad I came to this school.