Academy for Performing Arts Reviews

I liked how there was only four classes per day because there was less stress put on students since we had at least two days to complete every assignment. The chromebook laptops the school gave us to use throughout high school is helpful for writing assignments but does not help in research projects because most websites are blocked.
I do not like how the faculty does not care if you fail in a particular class and say it is up to the student to do well. Opinions like that, in my experience did not make me feel confident or comfortable in learning new material and when I did put the effort and tried to stay after school to work with a teacher, but they cancelled. This teacher happened to be from another school on campus, but the teachers at APA are friendlier and want to see you succeed.
I do like how APA allows students the opportunity to earn college credits their senior year.
My experience in the school has been amazing and stressful at the same time. I loved almost all my teachers, especially my history, theater, and english school teachers. The teachers are kind, nice, and actually want to see you succeed in school and in life, so they will help any way they can.
They've given us chromebooks to work on our projects throughout the years which is helpful to those that do not own a computer themselves. However, many sites are blocked on them so writing reports with sources is a bit of a struggle.
The cafeteria on campus has food that is a bit overpriced for students but they have the lunch program for low-income families to apply to.
We were very prepared for college because in our senior year, we take freshman courses at Kean University so we not only get a feel of what it's like, but also become more responsible for ourselves and take the credits with us to whatever school we choose to go to.
Out of nearly 1000 applicants, I am 1 of the select few accepted into my class of 49. We are intellectual, talented, creative, and passionate individuals. We have a will to learn, to succeed, and to express ourselves through art. Our classes are advanced and our teachers help create an environment in which learning is fun. APA is a safe haven for many students who attend. As someone who hates using public restrooms, I must say that the APA facilities are very clean. Our administrators are like second parents to us. My principal is an African American woman and she is one of the most inspirational people I have ever met. We spend our senior year at Kean University taking all college courses, receiving college credits. There are 3 boys in my grade, surprisingly none of which are gay. We are of all different ethnic and religious backgrounds. Yet somehow, we all manage to come together- as students, as artists, and as a family.
Start Your Review of Academy for Performing Arts
I enjoyed the family atmosphere and the lifestyle at the Academy for Performing Arts. The faculty is beyond amazing, and care so much for their students. They get to know their students, and help them achieve their goals. It is very challenging academically, but I feel prepared to go to college thanks to them.
I majored in theatre here. My theatre education was excellent, though there was not a great deal of flexibility in exploring outside of my major. This year, I am a senior, and I will spend this year studying at Kean University for free as part of a dual-enrollment partnership between APA and Kean. I will receive around 30 credits this year - tuition-free! Although I will not continue to study theatre after high school, APA offered a fantastic opportunity for me to pursue and cultivate my interests.
The Academy for Performing arts is a school that is like no other. This advanced educational environment not only pushes it's students to work hard, but to strengthen their talents and passions as well. When thinking about a performing arts high school, many people assume APA is a place that refers to academics as a second priority. However, this is extremely wrong. What I admire most about this high school is how there is an even balance between academics and performing. Dancers and actors have the opportunity to strengthen and perfect their trade over four years, as well as their minds. Sending seniors to Kean is another aspect of APA that makes it unique. Experiencing college before high school is even over has prepared me and my peers tremendously. I feel ahead of the game and ready to face my future.
I am currently a senior at the Academy for Performing Arts and these past four years have been amazing. I have met some of the greatest people in my life and have had amazing teachers and built relationships with them. This did not feel like a normal high school. It feels like home and when I go to school I feel like I am with my family and not just my teachers. There was only one year I had a not so great math teacher but in any school you will have a teacher like that so I have no complaints.
It's a quality performing arts school. People not wanting to get involved in the arts will not be able to escape them. The major classes are demanding and serious, but they teach lessons applicable outside the arts too.
Overall the teachers are great people; caring, approachable, friendly. Theatre and dance are the best of the best. However, the maths and sciences are lacking in teachers with a strong command of the subjects.
Almost all of the teachers are amazing.
There are no competitive sports at APA. However, you can participate in any sports offered at your local high school. There are intramural sports, but I know less than nothing about them. Few people participate, if they're even still around. In terms of regular school spirit, though, everyone really loves their school on campus, even if we make jokes. APA students love the school and truly feel accepted within it. Everyone is incredibly supportive of each other and their achievements, especially regarding shows. In terms of physical fitness, APA is a little bit of a mixed bag. You only take fitness every other day for one marking period. You're expected to complete a certain number of hours of exercise outside of class (31, I believe) which can include everything from team sports to walking to the bus stop. The fitness classes themselves are top-notch, with dedicated teachers who'll make you dread their period but leave much healthier. They're also your health teacher, answering all your embarrassing questions honestly and without judgment. The fitness centers themselves are excellent (especially the one in Magnet), although not in APA themselves. The centers are open during Co and after school most days.
I truly love the vast majority of my teachers on campus. They are passionate, intelligent, and truly, truly care about their students. I feel more comfortable with some of my teachers than I do my parents. They work us hard, but that's because they know we're smart enough to meet those expectations. APA teachers know and love how creative their students can be, and they're thrilled when you put in the extra effort to make a project truly special, even if the final product is not what they expected. Teachers never cease to push themselves, as well, coming up with innovative projects and lessons. Teachers really care more that you're learning and growing than the grade- although that's no excuse to slack off. You'll get out of APA what you put into each of your classes. They're just really great.
My year at APA is 50% minority students, with the typical minority being black or latino. Race is far from an issue, and students are accepting regarding the variety of socioeconomic backgrounds, with kids coming from towns from Elizabeth to Westfield. People make jokes, but it's all in good fun and no feelings are hurt. In terms of gender, however, there is quite a difference. There are a few who identify as genders besides male or female, and they are accepted by all, although not always understood. However, it unfortunately does not get much better than that at any high school. In terms of the male/female divide... APA is not the high school for the boy crazy. Testosterone is hard to come by, and girls learn to love their male classmates platonically. Everyone's really cool and accepting, though, especially in terms of sexual orientation. Politically, almost everyone who cares is a liberal, although there are a few conservatives here and there. However, they are few and far between. In fact, this is where most of the tension in APA lies, although people learn to respect each other, even if they disagree with someone's views.
It's difficult and subsequently uncommon for clubs to meet after school, due to the geographic diversity of the students here. As such, most clubs meet during the co-curricular period (half an hour before or after lunch). There is a wide variety of clubs on campus, and if you see a need for a club, it's not difficult to start one, so long as you're willing to do the work.
Students and faculty members are required to wear IDs at all times, especially when changing buildings. When this rule is not followed by students, they are quickly reprimanded by a member of the faculty. There are unarmed security guards in the lobby of every school who monitor the doors and visitors. I have never felt unsafe on campus. The nurse is sweet, but doesn't put up with BS. If you're actually sick, you shouldn't have a problem.
My school is the perfect fit for me. I would not change a thing.
The resources at my school are amazing. Everything is top-notch.
Start Your Review of Academy for Performing Arts
My school doesn't offer sports, but the multiple fitness rooms are great
I am so comfortable at school. I know that if I'm ever having a bad day, my friends will be there for me.
Though my school lacks sports, it makes up for it in the variety of clubs.