Academy for Math, Engineering & Science (AMES) Reviews

AMES provides an amazing education and a great opportunity to take University of Utah classes. This keeps you ahead of the game and satisfied when you graduate, but you need to be sure you take advantage of it at the right time. The teachers are really fun to talk to and learn from. The school culture isn't your normal high school environment, though. So anyone who wants a traditional experience and have that kind of social experience and spirity might be disappointed.
I had more negative than positive interactions with the faculty and staff, particularly with the administration. I felt that I was not valued as an individual if I was not contributing to a positive reputation for the school.
One of the driving factors for my enrollment was the FIRST Robotics club. That, along with great classes (everything from engineering to painting) and an inclusive small school environment make for a great experience.
Start Your Review of Academy for Math, Engineering & Science (AMES)
I like how Ames is a close community it is a small school that gets you prepared for college level classes. It let's everyone from all over the valley in if you get drawn during the raffle. I like how Ames challenges every student and how it can help students if they need it, and the class sizes are not that large because of the small amount of students there are. Ames is more of a community than a school and helps each individual through their high school experience
Great environment, wonderful teachers, very helpful councilors. Offers a lot of classes, and allows for U of U classes and Cottonwood classes.
I love everything about AMES. I honestly wouldn't have the opportunities that I have right now or the opportunities I had through my entire school If I hadn't gone to AMES. One of the best things about AMES is Internship class, it lets you to find whether a field is right for you and Martha has so many connections, she can get anyone in any field to get an experience. Taking University of Utah's classes as a junior and a senior is definitely one of the pluses. Some even take it as a sophomore. I got couple of my general credits completely before I even enrolled in a University. In a nutshell, this is the best school ever!
Small class sizes and teachers who care. This is a school where teachers know personally every student in the school. They have busing that goes into west-side neighborhoods to ensure that all students have access to the school. The counselors and teachers work with each and every student to ensure they have a college plan and are on-track to apply and be accepted to college. A truly great place!
AMES is a really good school for students who are academically inclined. This school really services to students who want to achieve their high school education goals while helping to set them up for their college goals. Also since it is attached to Cottonwood High School it also enables students to join extra curricular activities such as art, music, and sports. It has a diverse culture and the staff is exceptional.
The school has a very diverse student body with small classes compared to a regular high school, which is amazing. Having connections with the University of Utah helps the students get the education they can’t get unless they START college. This school has so many pros to it. The teachers are very kind and they treat you like you matter, whereas students at bigger schools have to deal with teachers that treat most of the students like they are nothing but extra bodies in the room. Any person that speaks to you is kind and understanding. Not one person at this school thinks of others like they’re inferior. Instead, the students and teachers respect each other like actual people with different brains with knowledge that has yet to spill out.
I really enjoyed going here for my high school experience. The community is very open and connected to each other, making for a good learning environment. The classes were difficult to prepare us for college but the way they were taught made it easy to understand.
I love it at AMES it is challenging but it is possible. The school is small so you get to know many people. The thing I love the most is the teachers. They care about your personal life and academic life. A new, nicer, or cleaner building would be nice. Sometimes it can get very dirty in the school
I have had all the help I have needed to succeed in High school and to get into a great college. My counselor has helped with prepare for applying and getting into college. My teachers have all been available before and after school to help with assignments and tests. Great school.
A very accepting place aimed at preparing students for college, including the partnership with the University of Utah allowing high school students the opportunity to participate in university level classes.
My experience with AMES had been very positive. The diversity and resources that the school offers are great. You won't find any other place with their type of support. They also bus from all around the valley, so transportation isn't a problem.
I really enjoy the diversity at the school as well as the academics. For the first time, I actually feel like I'm learning. I also enjoy how most of the teachers really push us to do our best and also provide resources if we need help.
I've been at AMES for over a term now and am loving it, although it's challenging I feel myself learning something new everyday, and the community is great.
This is my first year going to Ames. So far it has been a fun and wonderful experience. The teachers are great and the principal is kind and helpful. Ames is a great school to help students prepare for college in my opinion.
Start Your Review of Academy for Math, Engineering & Science (AMES)
My experience at this school has be great. Most of the teachers are very knowledgeable in their field, have effective teaching styles, and are kind and understanding. There is no social hierarchy here and there is hardly any social pressure to fit in. I also feel well prepared for college. All of the teachers are good, and the school does not prioritize its top students or honors classes over everyone else. It is a fair, welcoming, school that really cares about each of its students. Being connected to a large public school like Cottonwood is also positive. AMES students get the benefits of a small school with all of the amenities and extra curricular options of a large school. The diversity of both schools is also a great environment to learn in, and Cottonwood activities are accepting of AMES participants. This school may not be a perfect fit for everyone, but for those who it does fit, it will be a great and formative high school experience.
What I liked about AMES is how hands on it is. I love how there are only around 500 students so all the teachers know you and put in time for you. What i wished would change is how much slack they give at the beginning then by the end there is none. What I think this does is let the students think they have time to turn things in but that only sets them up to fail later in the year.
When I was invited to apply to AMES I was told it isn't like any other charter school, they teach More in the shop and lab than lectures in the class room, well that is a complete lie. Its just like any other average school. the classroom routine is a lecture followed by tedious homework every night. The principle is a pretty cool guy but I don't like how He runs the school. I participated in the Robotics club my freshman and sophomore years and found it fun and inviting till it was suddenly run a lot differently in my junior year then it was my sophomore and freshman years, it suddenly became a lot less about teaching the kids how to work as a team and raise leaders, to teaching the kids how to obey the boss or else. The only thing I found nice about this school in my four years of being here is the fact that I knew all of my peers really well. despite being friends with only a few. Would I choose ames again if I could? The answer is no.