Academic Magnet High School Reviews

I have loved my time at Academic Magnet. It was really stressful at times, but I believe it was all worth it. I feel very prepared for college. I hope to see more diversity in the following years at magnet. I would also like to see some better teachers who really like their job and want to teach.
Academic Magnet High School is by far the best public high school in the Charleston area for students serious about their education. They have outstanding resources to help students achieve more and get into desired colleges. The students there add to the culture of ambitious academic excellence that breeds competition and preformance.
I loved Magnet. It's definitely a challenging school, but you will learn so much and leave absolutely prepared for college.
Start Your Review of Academic Magnet High School
#magnettttgrindddd if you don’t have work ethic don’t come. Football games and spirit weeks are great
Incredibly creative environment with a comprehensive program that promotes academic, social, and career development of all students to pave the way to success during and beyond high school.
Great school! Many amazing teachers that are wonderful at preparing students for thesis, AP tests, and everything else. I would highly recommend for anyone student that is looking for a challenge.
Academic Magnemt is a very clean school. It is a challenge for those who want to challenge their smarts. There is lots of time to do homework and mingle with other students. It is a great school. I would recommend it to anyone who can take the challenge.
Academic Magnet is a great school that constantly challenges and pushes students to work to their fullest potential. There's plenty of wonderful and helpful teachers ... but there's also a couple of bad (like really bad) apples that barely teach the material. The work load is intense but not impossible if you have good time management (I don't). Campus feels safe and food is ok. There is a really big diversity problem since the school is mostly made up of white kids. Unless you dozed off for all 4 years, you should be prepared for college after suffering through 4 grueling years of Magnet.
When I came to AMHS, I was highly unprepared. I went to a middle school that did not prepare me for the academic rigor that was to come at this high school. After spending four years here, I have met the most amazing and caring teachers. I befriended loving and encouraging friends that will be in my life forever. The size of the school allowed me to have the one-on-one time I needed with teachers and to have an effective learning experience. Most importantly, I have learned how to study and feel as if I am prepared for college. I do not think I could have chosen a better high school to attend.
Great science department and math department. A lot of work, which is good preparation for college. Many students claim to be extremely well prepared for their colleges.
Very good academic record rated top 10 in the US Magnet schools nearly every year. Great preparation for college with only honors and AP classes offered. Good social diversity. Not for everyone because the classwork is demanding.
I had a great time at this school. I didn't have too much trouble making friends, and people were usually very approachable and close knit with each other. I played two varsity sports (softball and cheer) but they weren't as competitive as I may have liked. I would recommend this school to people who are willing to work their butt off in academics and like a small school environment (everyone knows everything about everyone.. haha...) It did me bother, though, that in comparison to some friends who went to Wando (Mt. Pleasant)and had comparable classes and test scores, my class rank and GPA were lower due to the very difficult nature of the school, making the Palmetto Fellows scholarship hard to attain.
I loved my experience at Academic Magnet. It is very academically oriented and I believe it will prepare me well for college. Most teachers are always happy to help and school spirit is high which makes the atmosphere great. However, while thesis is a beneficial process, some of it is repetitive and needs to be streamlined. Overall, it is a difficult school but time management it key.
Very rigorous academic schedules and most of the teachers seem to genuinely care about the students.
AMHS is a fantastic school, and is widely regarded as academically one of the best in the Charleston area. Most of the students are devoted, compassionate individuals who engage in the community academically and in extracurriculars, including a wide range of sports and clubs. I cannot praise the teachers enough, as they are academically and personally invested in the school.

Some diversity problems have arisen as of late, as the testing process to get into AMHS is not equitable. Although the school itself is not at fault, some fortunate county middle schools and private schools have the resources to teach students how to ace the entry exams, whereas low-income schools cannot afford this luxury.
The people here are super competitive but really great. School spirit is through the roof but we have different traditions. Such as there's not normally homecoming dances but we celebrate Pi day on April 14th. The teachers are hit or miss and you're going to have to work extremely hard.
Academic Magnet is a school for people who constantly want to learn more and are focused on working hard for success later in in life already at the high school level. While the academics are rigorous, most teachers assist students enough so it doesn't feel impossible. The only problem with the academics is the rigid structure in the classes required. Students have very limited choice in the classes they can take especially with the extracurricular classes offered. Additionally, the requirement of four years of the same foreign language at Academic Magnet is absurd. Personally, I believe once students have completed the necessary course credits for foreign language to graduate from a South Carolina high school, then they should be allowed to switch languages if they desire.Overall, Magnet is a good place for people who are solely focused on academics.
Start Your Review of Academic Magnet High School
I like the rigorous academics at my high school. It is quite challenging: having to handle senior thesis, multiple AP classes, standardized testing, and a heavy course-load but I feel like it prepares you very well for college.
Academic Magnet is a highly involved community. The students become a unified class during their four years attending the school. The teachers have high expectations of the students which help to prepare them for college. The students and teachers also have strong relationships and communicate with ease.
This school is the best school I have ever attended. It's public, yet small, so everyone in the area should apply. The teachers are amazing, the classes are fun and useful, and it has a 100% graduation rate. Awful diversity but the way to change that is if YOU apply :)