Abilene High School Reviews

Going to Abilene High is a big deal especially if you have lived in Abilene your whole life. Forbid that you go across town to Cooper. Going to school at Abilene High made me the person I am today. Bleeding Black and Gold, but never Blue and Red. Abilene High is known for West Texas Football, the Friday Night Lights, the huge pep rallies, but the infamous blackout pep rally. Abilene high is a huge family, but honestly our admin is not so strong. I have had 2 principals in the past 4 years, and now graduating there is going to be a new principals. All my junior friends will now be on their 3rd principal! That's a little insane, and a really big change. But like I said, Abilene High is a family.
I love Abilene High School. I was a member of the drill team for three years, including being an officer. I have also been a member of FFA also serving as an officer. The school has wonderful academics, which as challenged me to do my best. I love our AP classes and teachers. Opportunities for involvement in on campus organizations is tremendous. There are so many wonderful people here from students to staff.
I loved going to Abilene High. While being in percussion & varsity orchestra while taking college prep classes & AP courses was challenging, teachers, directors, & tutors helped me get my work done. As a community, AHS really loved by E-POWER until my Senior year. It was a heart to heart, you could say, that teachers and students & the entire class, for that matter, where required to have that really brought up interesting discussions & different perspectives on certain topics. I'll miss AHS, but once an eagle, always an eagle.
Review Abilene High School
As a student for four years of Abilene High, I have had my fair shares of ups and downs. Abilene High is a great high school, but it does have its flaws just as any other school does. From a closed campus lunch, to a strict but rarely enforced dress code, my school does have flaws. But the school spirit here is unparalleled, and from Friday nights supporting our football boys, to every single spring sport, nothing makes me more proud to be an Abilene High Eagle.
At Abilene High it's definitely got a lot of school spirit. There are some really great teachers there who are really passionate about what they're teaching and they do a really good job of teaching it. There are some administration people there who care about there students and want to be in their lives and I think that's what makes me happy when I go to the campus, because I'm not just some face that keeps their pay check rolling in. People who work there do try to make high school a safe and fun learning environment, and they do a really good job at it too. There are some things they could work on and that would definitely be planning; I know for sure my family does not appreciate the last minute events they send home in a letter, because we can't go or we have to drop everything we wanted or needed to do.
The one thing I liked most about my high school is that their is a variety of different people who attend Abilene High. We can all come together and celebrate at football games and pep rallies together. It's truly been a blessing to be surrounded by such spirited people.
There are many things to love about this school such as it's diversity and acceptance of people, but I can count on my fingers the number of teachers who seem like they value education, and care for students. Which is shameful considering the amount of teachers that actually work in the school. I would like to see this school improve in every area possible, it has such amazing potential though a big part of the problem is the budget of the school and administration, therefore, it's not completely teachers fault but it would be nice to see some improvement. However, despite the adversity that students face due to reasons stated above most of them graduate as well rounded human beings, ripe with experience, ready to go out and better the world.
I am a current student at Abilene High, and throughout the past four years, I have had my fair share of the ups and downs that life throws. There were times when I wanted to give up and thought that would be the best solution to all my problems. I started slipping in school work when times got hard, and I honestly did not believe I would make it through high school. I was blessed with amazing teachers that truly love their students and will do anything to ensure they succeed. It is because of certain teachers that I am now part of the class of 2017, and I will be graduating with honors. When I was not able to push myself, my educators gave me that extra "ummph" to help me reach my goals. No education system is perfect, but in the time I have attended Abilene High, my teachers have significantly excelled in their work, helping students the way they should, and that has made my experience worth while.
There are some great classes available if you actively seek them out, especially in the history department. The science department, however, has somewhat fallen apart, and administration tends to treat students as potential problems. Non-mainstream sports (examples of mainstream include football, volleyball, basketball) tend to struggle with funding, as does the fine arts department.
i love how you all do this no problems thanks. you are an awesome website for good colleges for people with a low income and a lot of people want to go to college but cant because of financial issues.
Mostly the students would choose what course they need and then request for a specific teacher or chance their luck and hope they get it will a good teacher or at least have some of their friends in that class.
This school is very diverse within its students. Students are very accepting of whatever sexual orientation another student chooses. Racial problems isn't a big issue either, here at this school every student is looked at for what they are, a student.
The school is just now getting a lot of new extracurricular activities so they are not the most organized at the most however if given some time then the clubs would do and be great. With all the new extracurricular activities added the school has been very supporting and the number of students that were not in extracurricular activities verses now have increased.
My best experience at this school was marching band. To meet all these new people at once that were so friendly to one another like a family was a great feeling to have especially as a freshmen. Coming into highschool on the first day of school and already knowing almost 300 people makes meeting more people seem so easy than coming to high-school on the first day and only knowing a few. My favorite part of being part of the marching band was the football games. Waking up early on a Friday just to get to school early for a prep rally to pump up our school spirit. Then around 7 o'clock when the sunsets, the game begins and our school goes wild with spirit for our boys on the field.
Most of the teachers that I have had over the years in high school listen to the students ideas and incorporate it into the next lesson. Even if it wasn't the exact topic we were discussing in the classroom, they would still try to pull in the similarities between the two so that the students could understand better. If there was ever a time needed were a student just needed to talk, whether it be personally or academically the teachers had their doors open.
A wide variety of extracurricular activities are available from sports, and fine arts to language and cooking organizations.
The level of parental involvement at Abilene High is a mix of high and low. Parents either are incredibly involved or have no involvement whatsoever. While parental participation is highly encouraged by the school, there is little follow through by parents.
Review Abilene High School
For the most part, all teachers that I came in contact with went out of their way to ensure all students' success in school and life. Students' opinions were always asked for, listened to, and mostly acted upon.
Abilene High's health and safety is great because the nurses are very nice and helpful, and there are plenty of fire alarms and extinguishers. Also, some of the class rooms are used as tornado shelters.
The opportunities at Abilene High are wonderful.