1. Abilene Unified School District
  2. 9-12
  3. Public

Abilene High School Reviews

I love how the teachers are always willing to stay after school and help someone on anything. I also like how everyone has so much school spirit. It truly is an exceptional school not only in academics/teachers and athletics/coaches.
As a senior, I am beyond proud to say I attend Abilene High School. Respect is shown in every individual. Student's are able to express themselves freely, which is incredible.
I have attended Abilene since pre-school, so I don't know any different, but I would not transfer schools for anything. Teachers work for the students and show that they care and that they truly do want to help students. Abilene's Agricultural program and the rest of the acedemics/ programs the school offers are highly capable of sending students off to college being fully prepared. The school spirit is nothing that I have seen before. Everyone joins in on the spirit and is admired. The school has taken many preventions towards bullying and is still continuing in many ways to make it less common. There are not many things I would change about Abilene High School. I love the school spirit, the traditions that are still carried out, the staff that is nice and easy to approach, and the support the school provides for the students. In my opinion, Abilene High School has been a blast and I'm so glad I was able to spend all my years being apart of it.
Having experienced almost four years of this school, I would like to say that I have a pretty decent idea of how it is. It is good, but has a few flaws (just like most other things). Most of the teachers are amazing, but there are a few that consistently, year after year, have a majority of their students' contempt. There is a lot of focus on sports in the school, but they do support their fine arts. Maybe not as much, though.
The school offers a variety of after school and during school activities. Some of which include, choir, band, forensics, scholar's bowl, and student council. The faculty get deeply involved with the activities and make sure to do their best to include the student body.
Personally this school has changed my view on the world. It allowed me to see situations through other people's eyes and helped me to figure out how to help the people. After I arrived to my school last August, I noticed that the students pulled together to get something done. The students and faculty went out of their way to help me and other new students to fit in and find where we belong. I discovered my own group of friends that helped me to realize how precious high school is, no matter how much the rest of the teenage population hates it. I would honestly go back for another year to experience the innocence that leaves us after we graduate.
Compared to the school I transferred from, Abilene High School has exceeded my original expectations. The teachers make sure to go above and beyond to make sure a student is not left behind. I have had teachers in the past year ask me to stay after class and after school to help with issues in the classroom. A teacher even came into her class early to help me with math homework after I emailed her telling her that I was undeniably stuck. She made sure that by the end of class that I knew exactly what I was doing. The teachers ensure that their students are all up to speed and are slowly creating new and better solutions to the problems that they had originally struggled with.
Maybe half the kids are involved in activities. If you are not in an activity, I don't feel you are very accepted by students or teachers really.
There a are a few very good teachers at our school who know their subject and can teach it to students so they understand. These teachers really will work with you before school or after school if you need extra help. You can ask questions during class too.
Cameras are used. We need active police patrol.
We have lots of choices in many areas-ok coaches.
PE, weights, and science are very well lead!
They have knowledge, but struggle to connect.
Nothing has really gone wrong, yet nothing has gone really amazing.
The overall quality of the teachers is beyond expectations.
This school is unique because we have block scheduling and orange and brown days. You have 5 classes a day including seminar which is like a study hall and all your classes last an hour and 30 minutes. We also have homecoming queens but no king, our homecoming king is what we call Cowboy Joe. It is the same thing as homecoming queen but instead of 5 girls running there are 5 guys and it gives us two spirit weeks. Homecoming queen is early October and Cowboy Joe is in November.
Learned lots and teachers were helpful
Barb's Bar (snacks and alternatives to the main line available to purchase) is kind of a legendary part of AHS.
The teams are good, what few facilities we have are just what we need. The school is considering building a new gym. Both the baseball and softball teams use public fields owned by the parks department, and the tennis team has four of its own courts, but uses the public courts in addition for tournaments.
There is not a huge variety of clubs, but everyone in the clubs truly care. Because there is not a lot to do in this small town, everyone is involved in something at school.