1. Phoenix, AZ
  2. 9-12
  3. Public, Charter

AAEC - Paradise Valley Reviews

The "service dog training" class teacher has no idea what she's doing. She doesn't listen to her student's concerns whatsoever and lets a volunteer who doesn't even work for AAEC run the class. She promotes drama by talking about the kids behind their backs with the two volunteers and talks poorly of anyone kid who drops out of the program. It's also very obvious she picks favorites. She kept aggresive dogs in the program and places them with inexperienced high school students, causing many liabilities. None of these so called service dogs are suited for any service work. It's such an unhealthy environment and I hope AAEC does something about her.
If you want to go into environmental or veteranary sciences, or just want to get ahead in college this is a great school to go to. Most of the teachers are phenomenal, and are always willing to work with you whenever you need help. The school has been going through a lot of administration changes though, which can be problematic. Getting your schedule correct is almost always problematic as well, but eventually it works out. My friends and I are going to be graduating with our high school diploma as well as an associates degree because of this school.
My experiences in AAEC- Paradise Valley may be few, but they have given me insight into the social structure of the school. The students are very accepting of people, some topics such as religion are some sensitive since many students have strong beliefs in their religions. Despite that, an atheist such as myself fits in just fine. I love the teachers at this school. They are all very understanding and willing to listen to your circumstances and adjust as needed. The administration is lack luster. They make many mistakes with scheduling and communicating with Paradise Valley Community College. The school allows students such as myself to test out of classes and get the credits for said classes. If you come into the school ahead of the curve, you have the ability to match up with your intellectual rivals and take the same classes as them. Overall, the school is very good.
The school was presented as a place for the "nerds", but it turned out to be more of a place for the outcasts. Being so small and with the student population make-up it was difficult to form a decent sized friend group. However even though the social aspect was lacking, the school academically was pretty great. One definitely needs to be dedicated and not afraid to push themselves, and will need to be stubborn when working with faculty to create your schedule (sometimes if was difficult to convince them that I wanted more than 2 college classes a semester) to get the most out of the school for your education. So if one is willing to sacrifice the social life (and sports because the only sport there is Quidditch) for free college classes, equine and pre-vet programs, and great teachers then this school is a good fit. I loved it because I graduated with two Associate Degrees.
The teachers are amazing. They definitely love their job, and we love them.
Students are very involved. Most students are very passionate about being here.
When I attended AAEC it was in the prime of its time. Over the last few years there has been several changes to the district office, and subsequently our campus as well. There was a change of principles, which led to a total turnover of the school staff as well. I experienced the change as it was happening, and since these changes the school has become a disaster. The teachers that set the foundation for that campus were the most outstanding mentors I've ever seen in a school setting. "Revamping" the school has led to a disarray of teachers that don't provide the accelerated learning AAEC is supposed to be known for. You'd be just as well to attend a large public school with the level of experience this school will provide you.
FFA is a huge club here at AAEC. Almost all freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors are involved in FFA. We frequently attend SAE's CDE's and fairs. FFA is the biggest and best club at this school, we are constantly involved in activities, working, and working on out championships.
My experience at this school has been a complete blast. I have enjoyed and loved being at this school. There is so much to be involved in. Plus ALL the students are so nice and inviting and friendly. This school is unique because we have horses in the back of the property and have agriculture classes. I would choose this school over again because of the positive changes, teachers, students, and classes here. In my plant science class last year, I learned so much about Ag and FFA.
The teachers at AAEC PV are amazing teachers. They are always up to date with grading, staying on schedule with lesson plans, and don't overload you with homework. You can be involved in FFA, Anime Club, Ecology Club, Horseman-Ship, Yearbook, and Poetry Out Loud club. The school is small so you get to know the teachers and students very well. There is 0 bullying at this school, and if there is, it is at the bare minimum. The principal is super sweet and takes excellent care of the campus by putting her own time and money into making it look beautiful. There is alwasy up-to-date annoucements about what is going on at the school. The front office staff are always super helpful with whatever you need. There is Agriculture classes, vet classes, animal science, equine science, and Agribusiness classes. Plus the normal needed high school courses.
Dr. Braly (principal) expels anyone who violates the bullying policy, and drug policy - the problem is catching the perpetrators.
There are some excellent clubs to join, but there are no sports, and there are not a wide variety.
I have met really great people at my school. It is unique in that it offers free community college to students so that they can graduate high school with an Associate's degree. I switched from a very highly regarded classical education Academy before I went to AAEC - Veritas Prep Academy. I succeeded tremendously at Veritas Prep and it was a bit of a culture shock to go from the rigidity and intensive coursework at Veritas to the more public-school style of workload at AAEC.
They're all amazing teachers that care a lot about their students. The real problem is, you have students who are very dedicated and very intelligent, and students who are not concerned with school at all and who are only going because it is required by law. There aren't many students in-between. This makes it difficult for teachers to create a lesson that engages the two extremes of students on the spectrum.
There are no measures of safety such as police, nurses, or any health programs.
There are not a whole lot of clubs, but the ones that are here are strong and very involved in the school. Almost every student is involved with NHS, ecology club, FFA, or anime club. There are many fun events that the different clubs plan, and everyone really gets involved.
This school is truly one of a kind, since we are so deeply involved in horsemanship, agriculture, and veterinary medicine. My favorite experiences always come from my vet classes. I have had hands on experience with dogs, horses, rats, rabbits, and several other animals. I also got to vaccinate a few animals under the veterinarian's supervision. I feel like I am definitely getting prepared for my veterinary path, which would not have been possible if I hadn't come to this school.
The teachers at AAEC - Paradise Valley are easily the most engaged and passionate teachers I have ever met. They go above and beyond in order to help their students at every opportunity possible. Many of the teachers also have incredible experiences and knowledge that allow them to really engage with the material, which helps the students master it as well. They really feel like family, as they are not only guiding and aiding us, but also helping us grow.
I didn't like some of the administration
There are many different types of clubs on campus. They all work hard at what they do.