COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
The New School is planning for a robust in‑person student experience both inside and outside the classroom starting in fall 2021 and beyond. With safety protocols remaining in place, we anticipate returning to on-campus teaching and learning, reopening all residence halls, resuming dining services, and expanding access to other campus spaces and facilities. Learn More
At the College of Performing Arts, our renowned schools of drama, jazz, and classical music come together to form a progressive creative center at the heart of The New School. Here performing arts students work across disciplines to become a force of new artistry.
Established in the fall of 2015, The New School’s College of Performing Arts brings together Mannes School of Music, the iconic 100-year-old conservatory; the legendary School of Jazz and Contemporary Music; and the innovative and groundbreaking School of Drama.
The College of Performing Arts creates opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, innovative education, and world-class performances. Our Arts Management and Entrepreneurship MA, the Performer-Composer MM, and the new MFA in Contemporary Theatre and Performance draw upon the cross-disciplinary culture of the school.
Masters and Doctoral Programs
Most Popular Programs
- Music Performance20 Students
- Voice and Opera16 Students
- Musical Instruments14 Students
- Acting13 Students
- Music Theory and Composition10 Students
- Drama and Theatre Production4 Students
- Playwriting and Screenwriting2 Students
- Conducting1 Student
Performer-Composer MM at The New School
The Performer-Composer MM degree is designed for musicians whose passion lies at the intersection of composition, performance, and improvisation. Defy the confines of traditional genres. Improvise in your own unique language. Experiment with new technologies and new platforms. Develop your artistic voice, collaborate with like-minded artists, and lead the way into the future of music.
- of students took their classes full time. 3 responses
- of students completed the program in the time they expected. 3 responses
- of students agree the program difficulty was manageable. 3 responses
- of students agree that the online courses were positive experiences. 3 responses
- Supportive/helped me grow100%
- of students agree that professors care about their students' success. 3 responses
- of students agree that professors are engaging and easy to understand. 3 responses
- of students agree that professors helped connect them to future opportunities. 3 responses
Tuition & Financial Aid
- of students agree they had access to good mental health resources. 3 responses
- of students agree the program offered accessible childcare. 3 responses
- of students agree they felt supported as an international student. 3 responses
- of students agree they felt supported as a veteran. 3 responses
- of students are confident they will graduate. 3 responses
- of students are confident they will find a job after graduation. 3 responses
Return On Investment
- Did not graduate yet67%
- of students feel the degree they are getting at this school is worth the time and money. 3 responses
Living in the Area
- Cost of Livinggrade C minus
- Crime & Safetygrade B minus
- Nightlifegrade A+
The New School College of Performing Arts Reviews
The whole school facility for artists was convenient because it provided me with everything I needed.
However, there were so many buildings in The New School that it was hard to find Mannes School of Music at once. I'd like you to give me more directions so I can find them.
The faculty of The New School is very kind, encourages for the future, and gives helpful teaching.