COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, we are temporarily suspending any in-person admissions events, including campus visits and our admissions team visits to your area. We are taking these steps to play our part in slowing the spread of the coronavirus and to protect you and our campus community. Learn More
The Middlebury Institute of International Studies is a graduate school for individuals who want to make positive change in the world. Your career is our focus from the first day of classes, where you’ll take in-depth courses taught by world-renowned experts. You’ll also get personalized academic and professional advising, plus valuable internships. Get ready to graduate with a practical degree, fully prepared for a rewarding career in high-demand fields including environmental policy, international security, development, education management, trade, language teaching, translation, interpretation, and localization management. Our alumni are pursuing careers at the United Nations, U.S. Department of State, Netflix, Conservation International, and in governments, intergovernmental organizations, NGOs, nonprofits, schools, and private companies around the world. Founded in 1955, the Institute became an official graduate school of Middlebury College in 2010.
Masters and Doctoral Programs
MA in International Policy and Development
Bring positive change to some of today’s most critical social problems—hunger, poverty, conflict, and human rights abuses. Learn to research and create effective policy responses to the world’s most pressing problems, and to lead project teams, departments, or organizations that work for social change. We guarantee a minimum $10,000-per-year scholarship when requesting scholarship consideration.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students completed the program in the time they expected.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree the program difficulty was manageable.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that the online courses were positive experiences.Take our survey
Tuition & Financial Aid
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree they had access to good mental health resources.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree the program offered accessible childcare.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree they felt supported as an international student.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree they felt supported as a veteran.Take our survey
Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey Reviews
The main benefit to a degree would be the school's reputation & industry connections, and not the actual experience gained in the course material.
The entire campus is on a steep hill, which can be a problem if you have issues walking (I have plantar fasciitis and bad knees) and parking is nearly impossible. Housing in the area is really expensive and difficult to come by, but to be expected from a coastal town in California. The neighborhood is really safe but don't expect a partying college town.