Youngstown State University Reviews

1,173 reviews
YSU is very good school. They have many clubs and activities on campus. Down town Youngtowns is being built up daily, so the if you are a social person there are things to do. Academically it's an average, but they are always trying to be better every year. My niece had the opportunity to attend YSU also and she majored in Finance and the CFP fast track the school offers is amazing. She was able to get a job her Jr year in college and now 2 year after graduating she her own boss. This school is underrated because of the area it is in but YSU is a good school. And I just graduated this pass Dec and much has changed since I left. So go while they still have one of the most affordable tuition out. I didn't stay on campus because I'm a Non-Trad. I majored in Psychology and miniored in Social Work. I love the psych department We have the best chair and some of the best professors. Give YUS a try...you know you always wanted to be a Penguin.
You get a lot of bang for your buck here. I do not live in Ohio, however, I was close enough that I did not have to pay out of state (I had to pay a 200 dollar fee on top of in state tuition). Some of the teachers do not know how to teach; in those classes, I often didn't feel like I really learned anything. However, those that can teach are very passionate and helpful. The social atmosphere here is just simply amazing. I have been able to meet so many friends, many of who have very diverse backgrounds and interests. There are many clubs here, so there is something for everyone. Campus is extremely safe.
I have had the best time at YSU. The professors are lovely and so helpful! There are so many opportunities to do research and gain leadership roles, it is remarkable. It's also a beautiful campus to call home to.
Review Youngstown State University
It is a great hometown school. Plenty of commuters. Although the academics are great, the spirit is lacking.
I like Youngstown State University as a whole but I wish it was more affordable for people. Youngstown is a great place full of businesses and stuff to do with friends and families.
The President's opening message. Do three things:
1. Graduate in May 2021
2. Come out debt-free
3. Know where you are going
I love YSU. The campus isn't too small or too big. theres always some great activities going on on campus and the professors are all great
My experience at YSU has been great, the people are friendly and always willing to help. The professors are always there to help, they make sure you understand it before moving on.
It is close to home for me. They are making it safer for the students and making improvements all around the campus.
Overall YSU is a pretty good college I've only had a few issues over the past 2 years I've been here. Some of the advisors can be very discouraging if you aren't reaching "their standards" for certain majors and they push more so for you to change majors rather than giving you options to help stay/put you back on track. I'd like to see more diversity represented because there is little shown, especially being a minority myself I'd like to see more implemented.
I graduated from YSU about five years ago in dietetics. The courses were extremely hands on and definitely prepared you for your role in that career. After moving out of state I switched career choices. I decided to move back, and signed up to go to YSU to change and further my career choice in the fall. I will always attend this college due to its friendly staff, the Greek life friends I have found, and the level of hands on learning and willingness to help the students.
the campus it self is just so nice and the students are just so kind and friendly. The lessons are being told just like a college student would want it to be. It's a great environment to be around.
It's a great school. I meet a lot of new people there and it's not a big college. Their sports team are great. The teachers like are great and the food is also great too. Everyone is friendly and nice too.
I love YSU I couldn't have asked for a better colege to visit I visited it once and fell in love with the campus and the way they run things. I would definitely reccommend YSU for nursing students.
I love YSU because of all the opportunities it has given me from academic to extra curricular. I have been involved with many groups on campus while keeping a 3.87 GPA. YSU is close to where I live and I'm grateful I can get a quality education without burying myself in debt.
It was the greatest experience Ive ever had at a University! I am a transfer student from Rutgers and thought the smaller scene made the difference in school, social life and athletics!
My overall experience has been wonderful. I have met a diversity of students some I'm now friends with. Most of the staff has been helpful in assisting in my area of study. I like that the first year of your college career you are given a Peer Mentor, who assist you in what ever areas you need help, e.g. studying, and time management just to mention a few.
Review Youngstown State University
I have just recently gone back to YSU after a few years of taking some time off from school, and my whole experience coming back has been a breeze. The advisers I dealt with were super friendly and very willing to help me get back into classes.
Alright Campus. Most of the professors are great. Sometimes you get a few you can't understand and it can affect your learning. The administrators of the University won't do anything about it either.
YSU, as an engineering student is a perfect fit. It is the heart of the Youngstown community and is constantly improving. It offers a diverse student population without extraordinary size, and plenty of opportunities for involvement on and off campus.