COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
WPI is continuously monitoring the evolving situation relative to the COVID-19 outbreak and its impact on university operations. Visitors from select states are currently allowed to visit campus for an information session and campus tour. Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page to learn more about WPI's overall response. Learn More
- Academicsgrade A
- Valuegrade A+
- Diversitygrade A
- Campusgrade B minus
- Athleticsgrade B minus
- Party Scenegrade B+
- Professorsgrade A
- Locationgrade B
- Dormsgrade C+
- Campus Foodgrade C
- Student Lifegrade A
- Safetygrade B
Worcester Polytechnic Institute is a global leader in project-based learning and one of the nation’s first engineering and technology universities. As a research university centered on engineering, science, technology, and mathematics, WPI’s distinctive curriculum offers students opportunities to work closely with faculty and convert classroom concepts to real-world impact.
Students call WPI's project-based learning approach "life-changing" and say it prepares them for success in their careers and lives. The university’s high-caliber, rigorous curriculum lets students solve some of the world’s most pressing problems. They see how their work makes a direct and often immediate difference in local, national, and even global communities.
WPI's graduates receive some of the highest starting salaries of their peers, attend prestigious graduate schools, and ascend to leadership roles and high-income brackets over their lives.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
Will You Get In?
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes. 36 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want. 44 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage. 44 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Mechanical Engineering248 Graduates
- Computer Science172 Graduates
- Electrical Engineering101 Graduates
- Robotics and Automation Engineering83 Graduates
- Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering79 Graduates
- Chemical Engineering78 Graduates
- Aerospace Engineering55 Graduates
- Civil Engineering53 Graduates
- Industrial Engineering36 Graduates
- Biology32 Graduates
Interactive Media & Game Design at WPI
In WPI’s IMGD program, one of the earliest gaming programs in the nation, faculty and students push the boundaries of new worlds of emerging media, from mobile gaming to intelligent tutoring. Students blend the artistic and technical aspects of game development and interactive media to create games and interactive environments.
- of students say that Greek life is pretty big. 64 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life. 71 responses
- Fast paced57%
- You acquire experience on numerous projects11%
- Home away from home3%
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation. 22 responses