Willamette University Reviews

I've met so many great people here. The students are motivated, professors are engaging and all the staff I've dealt with are passionate about their work. It's a very pretty campus but the food is not good, at all, and Salem has been a real disappointment. Portland or the beach is just an hour away though so no excuse not to escape when you can.
Small class sizes are helpful and faculty are excellent. However, upper-level classes close too quickly, denying access to qualified underclassmen.
The athletic community is the most valuable part of Willamette University to me, personally. Academically, I find many classes to end up discussing the same liberal issues, which I believe limits my education to a certain scope of thought.
Review Willamette University
This college is really what you make of it. I'm sure that's a sentiment that others will share as well.

Here's what's up. Salem is not a very safe or exciting city, but that isn't incredibly important as the vast majority of student life is contained within a mile bubble from campus. We call it the "Willamette Bubble". You can do just about anything you can dream of as long as you're persistent and dedicated here. The vast majority of campus is very intelligent, competent, and articulate. That being said, there's a lot of extremely wealthy students that may come off as elitist. There are those who are rich and humble. This university's generous financial aid programs help out those who struggle.
There is a sense of responsibility for social issues on campus which is often productive, but unfortunately a noticeable section of the student body is hyper-liberal and somewhat unprofessional. There are still those who are sensible and can get real social progress done despite this.
What a disappointing, uninspired group of people. I went to college thinking that my peers would work on interesting side projects, would have a desire to go out and explore neighboring cities, and would be willing to attend concerts and shows in Portland. Haha, good one! Most people here are self-proclaimed "homebodies" and want nothing more than to sit around and watch Netflix all weekend and smoke pot. Don't come here if you're looking for doers - kids here are completely passive and dull.
Overall, this school has been a massive disappointment. It's a small school filled with middle to upper middle class white people, who espouse liberal beliefs and never leave their own groups. I am from a white, upper middle class background myself, but I grew up in a highly diverse area, and, trust me, Willamette kids were sheltered, spoiled (with attention, not material things) and were difficult to relate to on any level. Imagine a group of people who never left campus, practiced slacktivism and complained about how boring Salem is - those were my peers, and in general, they are miserable people. Come here if you want to use medium-quality drugs, sit around all day, and feel bored.
I came into this university expecting to grow mentally, spiritually and socially, but sadly, my experience fell short. It's a fine school if you just want academics, but the administration does nothing to help students prepare for internships, careers or grad school. Moreover, no one wants to leave campus, so expect to journey out on your own if you want to grow as a person.
Alright university. A mix of good and terrible professors, but not enough variety in courses available. Dorms and facilities could use updating, especially with the yearly rise in tuition.
This is an absolutely terrible school. They should be ashamed to call themselves a liberal arts school when they have less liberal arts majors than OSU. I was a biochemistry major (bad choice at a liberal arts school) and I feel like I was cheated on my education. For example, I took Organic Chemistry I & II and got a C, B- respectively. The typical course schedule is 3 hours of lecture a weak. 2 hours of tutoring. 1 hour of supplemental instruction, and 4 hours of lab.

After I transferred to USC I decided to retake Ochem I&II and got an A both semesters on a more shallow curve. You could say it was because I retook the class (which is partially accurate) but the hours at USC were 4.5 hours of lecture a week + 2 hours of optional lecture, 8 hours of lab, 4 hours of seminar a week and that's not including optional tutoring.

The school is obsessed with creating a "well rounded " experience that they forget to develop complexity within your own subject.
It is a university with a rigorous curriculum. At the same time, the professors are very helpful, as this school is a small private school which allows for the students to be able to ask help from teachers in a smaller classroom environment.
I have really enjoyed Willamette with all of the programs the university has to offer. The professors truly do care about all of their students and will do their best to see them succeed. The staff at the college is very supportive and always seems to have a positive attitude when approached. I have not had a negative experience yet with any of the staff or with my peers. It has become a great home away from home.
It's a small school, but there's lots of opportunities and interesting people! I've really enjoyed the small class sizes and the super helpful professors who really care about their students.
Willamette has been a great experience so far! The professors are incredible and small class sizes makes the learning personal. The campus is beautiful, but we have issues with our campus safety officers in regards to their response time and openness with issues happening on campus. It's difficult to find a variety of healthy options, the cafeteria seems to find a salad bar to be the only healthy option needed.
Rooms:
- Small but cozy
- No personal bathroom
- Small closets
- Not recommended for those that get easily claustrophobic

Education:
- Many wonderful and helpful teachers
- People are very friendly and are willing to help
- Schedule is given on the first day so you'll know what you are doing throughout the time you are a student

Campus
- Very clean and green
- They serve rice at every meal
- Healthy selection at a reasonable cost
Willamette University's campus is beautiful, with a creek running right through the middle of campus. The many historical buildings and the proximity to the State capitol make it a great place for learning about history, law, politics and state government.
Most professors are very willing to help. If you are not able to make it to office hours, most professors are willing to make an appointment and many more simply have an open door policy.
The school really does seem concerned about student safety. There is an ongoing effort to keep students safe and I feel that campus security is quite vigilant. They seem to work very cooperatively with local law enforcement. There was one break in of a dorm, that I am aware of last year. There have also been intruders into the law library that have stolen students personal belongings.
Review Willamette University
The alumni network for the law school is strong in Oregon and every alum I have met has been willing to bend over backwards to help out with job prospects or tips on getting through law school. The placement office has great relationships with local employers and with alumni throughout the country. The job hunting process will really be what you make of it and who you are willing to reach out to. They will meet you halfway, you just have to want it.
There are athletic teams at the school, however it is a small liberal arts school with little emphasis on sports. The school gym is all right for non-athletes, but the pool is open odd hours that are inconvenient for regular students.
I've really enjoyed how supportive and helpful the research librarians at Willamette University College of Law have been. They are really willing to sit with you and help you find your way through murky research, to clarify research queries, or to just lend a hand in figuring out where to start on a specific topic. I recommend their services to everyone.