Willamette University Reviews

I am a freshman at Willamette. My impressions thus far are excellent, Willamette is everything I thought it to be and more. I’m very glad I chose WU over the other schools I was looking at.
I love Willamette! It's filled with great people and amazing professors. My math professor said I needed to be in a different math course so during his office hours he gave me tests to see what course I should take. Then he taught me everything I had missed on the first day of the class I was transferring into. this is just one example of how professors will go above and beyond to give you a good college experience. The students there are fairly open-minded and it was easy to make close friends. I've been ready to go back for the whole summer!
Willamette University, although not the largest school, gives students many opportunities to grow. Be it their close proximity to the state capital building, or the vast amount of student led organizations, Willamette offers a wide range of activities to it's students.
Start Your Review of Willamette University
Willamette University offers a close-knit, small college environment where everyone gets to know their fellow students and professors closely. Additionally, the campus is beautiful, and great for group activities or studying outside by the Mill Stream.
I transferred here from a large research university. Wow what a difference. The professors are so dedicated to teaching and have a passion for sharing knowledge. I'm also loving the PNW. We are just an hour to the beach, or the concerts and art cultural of Portland or Eugene.
The university is an accepting community to all of whom it welcomes. While it has a very rigorous academic program, the school also provides a range of resource to choose from if a student is ever in need of help, both academically and otherwise. Despite being an open campus, as a cis-female individual I still feel reasonably safe. The campus is small and beautiful, with the state capital building just across the street. The student body shares a close-knit bond that is perhaps even more so than larger schools, due to the smaller undergrad population. Professors and staff are generally very open, accepting, and easy to approach without fear of judgement. It is a very expensive education, but the majority of students receive some sort of financial aid or scholarship. I'm so glad to be fortunate enough to be able to attend this school.
I am so happy with my decision to attend Willamette. The academics are very challenging and I love that, and professors get to know you and encourage you personally. However, the administration is not transparent and has had issues with racism and classism.
I am a senior/1st year MBA and have been here for 4 years. I had the option to transfer, but I did not because of the swimming team, which I was apart of all 4 years.
Went on a recruitment trip for the football program and everyone was literally soooo nice! Not just the faculty members on campus, who helped me out a ton (turns out my FAFSA wasn't submitted completely, whoops!) but the people and the community was also great.
Do not waste your money going to Willamette University. The alumni network and their career services department is awful. The school spends too much money on administrators and not on student services. If you want to go to a liberal arts school in Oregon that does it right, got to the University of Portland.
Excellent program for kinesiology. All programs have small class sizes at Willamette. The campus is very pretty in fall and spring.
I really like the small class sizes because it creates a collaborative environment where you can get to know professors one-on-one and ask questions. I also really enjoy taking part in the Chamber Choir. The downside of Willamette is that Salem is not in the nicest place. It does not have much going on and it is hard to reach any place to go hiking or skiing from Willamette.
Willamette had provided a multitude of experiences that have completely changed my life. I have had the privilege of participating in athletics, working at the capital, and meeting several leaders that’s have expanded my worldview. While it is not perfect I would choose it again.
I first found out about Willamette University when my school's choir was invited to attend multiple workshops and choral events hosted there. I began looking further into Willamette and went on a campus tour. The campus is beyond luxury, with incredible historical monuments, many different food courts to choose from, beautiful dorms, as well as many other necessities. The staff is thrilled to help you out on your college journey, and welcomes you with open arms. This is a school that focuses on you as an individual and meets your needs gladly.
I enjoy the small classes, the fact that the professors are passionate about their subjects and care about their students, and the small size. I did not enjoy the fact that the majority of the budget cuts came at the students expense while the president was enjoying giant pay bonuses. The heating in the dorms is poor and the wifi is terrible. On the other hand, there are many resources available for students and the professors do their best to help their students succeed.
Willamette has an excellent and provocative poli sci program. I've enjoyed my classes and connected with my professors and fellow students. The campus is beautiful though Salem leaves a lot to be desired.
I came to Willamette this year as a sophomore transfer from the East coast and I love everything about it. I feel as if you can really be accepted for who you are and the community is amazing along with the opportunities that you can take.
Start Your Review of Willamette University
As someone who has grown up in Salem my whole life, I wasn't expecting to love Willamette as much as I do. However, I was surprised at how motivated students are, and how overly-involved students become (sometimes to a fault.) The Willamette community itself is pretty tight-knit, and it's very easy to get to know people. In general, you can walk into any room on campus and see at least 3 people you know, and 4-5 you don't, giving you a constant opportunity to meet new, friendly students. The professors are also incredibly dedicated and helpful with their time. WU also provides a lot of resources to students on campus, especially counseling services, safe ride services, and confidential EMT services. My only complaint is that the administration at this school is not nearly as connected to the community as other students or faculty are, and often bureaucracy slows down the process of what could be an incredible community for growth, opportunity, and inclusivity.
I've met so many great people here. The students are motivated, professors are engaging and all the staff I've dealt with are passionate about their work. It's a very pretty campus but the food is not good, at all, and Salem has been a real disappointment. Portland or the beach is just an hour away though so no excuse not to escape when you can.
Small class sizes are helpful and faculty are excellent. However, upper-level classes close too quickly, denying access to qualified underclassmen.