COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
Whitman College is responding to the challenging circumstances presented by the COVID-19 pandemic in a way that puts students first and offers flexibility to students throughout the application process. Learn more about Whitman comprehensive approach at the link provided. Learn More
- Academicsgrade A
- Valuegrade A
- Diversitygrade A
- Campusgrade A minus
- Athleticsgrade B minus
- Party Scenegrade B
- Professorsgrade A minus
- Locationgrade B
- Dormsgrade A
- Campus Foodgrade A minus
- Student Lifegrade A
- Safetygrade B minus
"What an amazing place." These are the words we hear over and over from visitors, from current students, from professors...and hopefully soon from you! Perhaps it's our location in the Pacific Northwest, with natural beauty in all directions and a stunning campus that doubles as both an arboretum and an outdoor art museum. Maybe it's the dynamic community of supportive peers, caring and mentoring professors, and friendly staff who live and work here, helping to challenge and inspire you. No matter what it is, we are eager for you to find your place at Whitman College.
Whitman College Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
Will You Get In?
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes. 33 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want. 39 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage. 39 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Biology35 Graduates
- Research and Experimental Psychology34 Graduates
- Political Science and Government27 Graduates
- Economics24 Graduates
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology19 Graduates
- Sociology16 Graduates
- Studio Arts16 Graduates
- English15 Graduates
- Geology and Earth Science15 Graduates
- Film and Video Studies14 Graduates
- Hardworking but laid-back65%
- Passionate yet unpretentious25%
- Hardworking, knowledgeable, highly biased/naive5%
- Pretentious, hardworking, a little naive5%
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join. 34 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life. 40 responses
- Northwest outdoor paradise28%
- Progressive outdoor utopia (utopia means nowhere)6%
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation. 22 responses
Whitman College Reviews
When I first got here as a freshman I didn't know what to expect because I only visited once. I was pleasantly surprised about how passionate and motivated students were at Whitman. Everyone wanted to engage with me with about intellectual conversations even outside the classroom. I found my place very easily and while I know my experience is anecdotal- it is pretty common for Whitman students to find their crowd immediately. Socially a very good fit for me. Motivated, outdoorsy, intellectual, social campus atmosphere.
Academically, Whitman was rigorous. It kept me on my toes freshman year. But after transitioning to the academic rigor of college, Whitman makes their majors flexible. You don't even have to declare a major until the end of your sophomore year making it even easier to find my academic interests with no pressure. As a double-major and I am able to engage in two different disciplines at the same time easily.
The average student here is not only seriously devoted to their academics, but also unusually well rounded. The location of Walla Walla is a hard sell for anyone who isn't into the idea of a rural college, but many students end up surprised at how much they like the area by the time they graduate. The same sentiment seems to go for those who come into Whitman uncertain if its the right experience for them. Whitman sometimes feel as though it flies notoriously under the radar, but many who make up the school seem okay with, or maybe even enjoy, that aspect of it.