Western Illinois University Reviews

1,618 reviews
It’s a fun experience. The classes are really cool. The teachers and advisors really want to help you succeed. I recommend getting in a study group of people from your class or even making a few friends from classes to help study for exams. The people in your major are like your family, you spend most of your time with these people in class
My experience at western was okay. Sometimes they are not helpful with their students, depending on who you are talking to in the office. Most of the dorms need updating, especially the freshman dorms. However, I liked that you could access everything online. The campus is easy to figure out and small. There aren't many stores there. There's a walmart and a few fast food restaurants.
I love the campus and my professors are all very good! I would like to see better residence halls for freshman.
Start Your Review of Western Illinois University
The School is losing people and tends to fine you for stupid reasons. But on other news. The LEJA program here is great and I love going to school here I mean I am in a Greek social group named Theta Xi it is a very small group with low numbers. I blame the school for trying to change Greek life here on campus. The OPS officers are very kind and are always there to help but the judicial board people are horrible and only want your money they fine you outrageous amounts for small violations. But overall WIU is okay.
Western Illinois University is a really diverse schools and is very military friendly. Being in the National guard I have been able to manage both lifestyles very smoothly. The staff and students always ready to help you in anything you need. The transition into being a new student is smooth and friendly.
I really enjoy Western Illinois University especially the teachers because they want you to be able to be successful in their class.
It's peaceful, with challenges and experiences. I love my organizations such as Cultural Expression, which is a poetic group. I'm also in BMAN (Black Male Achievement Network). Those are my main ones that I'm currently in and as far as being here on campus, it;'s much to unconventional and get into to learn, acquire skills, and be around my true friends who's willing to help build each other up into better people of tomorrow!
Honestly almost all of the teachers are great and you will learn a lot. My problem with this school is that I attend the Moline location which does not offer a lot of the classes needed for graduation so you have to go to another school. Also, the classes that are offered fill up almost instantly in person so if you need to change anything with your class schedule you will get stuck with online classes.
My experience at Western Illinois has been filled with ups and downs. The campus if beautiful and the people are friendly. The only complaint is the system that runs the housing department. Last year my building excessively charged for infractions that were small, for example charged $100 for someone leaving dryer sheets on the floor. I have yet to feel a connection with the feel of campus, but hope to change that this semester.
I am a distance learning student. All of my courses are online, I love the flexibility it gives me. The only down side is that not all areas that I am interested in are online.
I enjoy being a student at WIU because I am considered a non-traditional student and there are several of us that are older, work, have families etc. The professors are very helpful and knowledgable. They want us to succeed and do well and will help us in any way possible. The campus is a beautiful campus and over looks the Mississippi River which is neat to be in class and watch the eagles fly over the river. There is food catered in for lunch but I haven't ever taken advantage of that I pack my own or go home for lunch. The housing for students is apartment rentals just across the parking lot so you can walk to class. There are numerous activities and clubs a student can get involved in.
Western feels just like home! Macomb has a small town feel, and the University provides tons of opportunities for students to get involved on campus!
This is an amazing institution where professors, faculty, and your peers want you to succeed. I love the fact that my tuition remains the same for all four years.
Overall WIU offers a lot of opportunities and help to the students . It very safe and has many safety precautions for all students and faculty. The student life is good it’s a lot of active groups to get involved in.
I love it here! Everyone is welcoming and nice. The place is best to relax and it’s easy to get around campus!
I received my bachelor's degree in Music Education at WIU in 2014, and was able to find a job as a school band director well in advance of the following school year. When I decided it was time to return for graduate school, WIU was at the top of my list. The opportunities the music provides are numerous and invaluable. The professors really work towards trying to prepare their students for successful music careers, and demand excellence in order to do so.
I love how Western has let me spread my wings and get involved. I learned so much pertaining to my major already and I feel that thanks to Western I'll be ready to enter my career field.
Start Your Review of Western Illinois University
Western Illinois University is a very productive campus you will never go with out having something fun and interesting to do. Although they should fund more black organizations on campus. But they experience you will have will be great it just takes time to adjust.
The faculty are outstanding and will go above and bond to help out reach your goals!!!! Plus good personal relationships.
I transferred to WIU from a community college my junior year. The transition went smooth due to friendly/helpful staff and the opportunity to meet with other transfer students.
The campus is easy to navigate and there are plenty of activities/clubs to help students have fun while gaining an education.
The professors genuinely care about the students’ education and do everything they can to help them succeed.
WIU is also a big supporter of our military, which is always a plus in my book.
If students need a break from campus, the square downtown is only a few minutes away. It has restaurants and shops unique only to Macomb. There are also popular bars, such as The Change of Pace,The Ritz, and The Forum.
If you are looking for something involving the outdoors, Spring Lake is the place to be. Only 15 minutes from campus, it provides beautiful scenery, places to fish, and several hiking trails to explore.
Overall, WIU is a great school to attend.