Western Illinois University Reviews

1,611 reviews
Honestly almost all of the teachers are great and you will learn a lot. My problem with this school is that I attend the Moline location which does not offer a lot of the classes needed for graduation so you have to go to another school. Also, the classes that are offered fill up almost instantly in person so if you need to change anything with your class schedule you will get stuck with online classes.
My experience at Western Illinois has been filled with ups and downs. The campus if beautiful and the people are friendly. The only complaint is the system that runs the housing department. Last year my building excessively charged for infractions that were small, for example charged $100 for someone leaving dryer sheets on the floor. I have yet to feel a connection with the feel of campus, but hope to change that this semester.
I am a distance learning student. All of my courses are online, I love the flexibility it gives me. The only down side is that not all areas that I am interested in are online.
Start Your Review of Western Illinois University
I enjoy being a student at WIU because I am considered a non-traditional student and there are several of us that are older, work, have families etc. The professors are very helpful and knowledgable. They want us to succeed and do well and will help us in any way possible. The campus is a beautiful campus and over looks the Mississippi River which is neat to be in class and watch the eagles fly over the river. There is food catered in for lunch but I haven't ever taken advantage of that I pack my own or go home for lunch. The housing for students is apartment rentals just across the parking lot so you can walk to class. There are numerous activities and clubs a student can get involved in.
Western feels just like home! Macomb has a small town feel, and the University provides tons of opportunities for students to get involved on campus!
This is an amazing institution where professors, faculty, and your peers want you to succeed. I love the fact that my tuition remains the same for all four years.
Overall WIU offers a lot of opportunities and help to the students . It very safe and has many safety precautions for all students and faculty. The student life is good it’s a lot of active groups to get involved in.
I love it here! Everyone is welcoming and nice. The place is best to relax and it’s easy to get around campus!
I received my bachelor's degree in Music Education at WIU in 2014, and was able to find a job as a school band director well in advance of the following school year. When I decided it was time to return for graduate school, WIU was at the top of my list. The opportunities the music provides are numerous and invaluable. The professors really work towards trying to prepare their students for successful music careers, and demand excellence in order to do so.
I love how Western has let me spread my wings and get involved. I learned so much pertaining to my major already and I feel that thanks to Western I'll be ready to enter my career field.
Western Illinois University is a very productive campus you will never go with out having something fun and interesting to do. Although they should fund more black organizations on campus. But they experience you will have will be great it just takes time to adjust.
The faculty are outstanding and will go above and bond to help out reach your goals!!!! Plus good personal relationships.
I transferred to WIU from a community college my junior year. The transition went smooth due to friendly/helpful staff and the opportunity to meet with other transfer students.
The campus is easy to navigate and there are plenty of activities/clubs to help students have fun while gaining an education.
The professors genuinely care about the students’ education and do everything they can to help them succeed.
WIU is also a big supporter of our military, which is always a plus in my book.
If students need a break from campus, the square downtown is only a few minutes away. It has restaurants and shops unique only to Macomb. There are also popular bars, such as The Change of Pace,The Ritz, and The Forum.
If you are looking for something involving the outdoors, Spring Lake is the place to be. Only 15 minutes from campus, it provides beautiful scenery, places to fish, and several hiking trails to explore.
Overall, WIU is a great school to attend.
WIU is a fantastic school. It's safe, diverse, and the professors are great. Unfortunately, Illinois is going through a budget crisis, and so aid can be limited. However, they do lock in your tuition rates for your time there, and so fluctuating costs is not something to worry about. The food is decent, and from what I know, the party life is good. Just if you're underaged, be careful, because there are four police entities on campus.
I've only been here for a year, but my experience was pretty great. I met a lot of new people and it was very different than high school. The only thing I wish could be changed is the food. There should be a wider variety of choices, as well as healthier choices. Overall, I think it's a pretty good school.
Here at Western Illinois University I have met a variety of new people. I love the diversity at this school, and the class sizes are small. The teachers are willing to work with you if you are struggling. Their main goal is to see that each student makes it pass their course.
during my visit to western Illinois i was treated well and giving a great tour of some of the schools finest areas. The tour guides were very respectful.
Start Your Review of Western Illinois University
I think Western Illinois is a great University. It is in a small town but honestly it was great for me because I’m not a fan of living in a city. It felt like home. Of course the classes were amazing! The professors I had were great and always helpful. Class sizes were a good size therefore I got the chance to talk to my professors when I needed help.
I like how well the entire faculty works to keep the campus safe. everyone wants to see the students succeed, and the resources available are so helpful.
I enjoy attending classes at Western Illinois University. The class sizes are smaller than much larger universities. The professors are very knowledgeable, friendly, and very helpful. Students are friendly. My courses so far are challenging but not overwhelmingly difficult. When I need help, there's tutoring labs, and the instructors have regular office hours.