COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
Due to the challenges presented by the pandemic, W&L has made several changes to our application, testing, and visit policies. For more information, please visit our website. Learn More
- Academicsgrade A+
- Valuegrade A+
- Diversitygrade B+
- Campusgrade B+
- Athleticsgrade B minus
- Party Scenegrade A
- Professorsgrade A+
- Locationgrade B minus
- Dormsgrade A
- Campus Foodgrade B
- Student Lifegrade A
- Safetygrade B
We seek academically talented, curious and engaged students from around the world. Our student body represents 48 states and 55 countries of citizenship, who are not only academically driven, but leaders in their schools and communities, dedicated to having an impact on those around them.
We are committed to making the W&L experience affordable through generous need and merit-based financial aid programs. That's why W&L typically awards more than $50 million in need-based financial aid each year and provides 100 percent of a student’s demonstrated financial need through grants, scholarships and campus work. As part of our commitment, students are not asked to assume debt by taking out loans as part of their financial aid award.
Washington & Lee University Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
Will You Get In?
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes. 28 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want. 41 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage. 41 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Economics84 Graduates
- Business70 Graduates
- Political Science and Government54 Graduates
- Accounting42 Graduates
- History33 Graduates
- Biology27 Graduates
- Computer Science20 Graduates
- Mathematics20 Graduates
- Research and Experimental Psychology15 Graduates
- Journalism14 Graduates
The Johnson Scholarship
The Johnson Scholarship awards full merit scholarships to talented first-year students, covering tuition, room and board for all four years of enrollment ensuring scholars graduate debt-free. Scholars also receive Summer Enhancement funds up to $7,000 to support internships, community service projects, faculty-supervised research, international experiences, and leadership projects.
- Classy, smart, rich, and white.35%
- Classy, smart, rich, white, entitled15%
- Committed to honor/integrity8%
- Homogeneous, white, rich, conventional8%
- Rich, white, entitled8%
- Mostly conservative4%
- of students say that Greek life is pretty big. 51 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life. 51 responses
- Work hard, play hard.42%
- Fun and challenging25%
- Home away from home4%
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation. 11 responses
Washington & Lee University Reviews
However, I wish students showed a greater appreciation for diversity and dedication to making the school inclusive for every student. While progress is being made, the campus culture still has quite the road ahead to be truly inclusive. Greek life definitely factors into this culture of exclusivity, and the University's continued struggle to address its history is a barrier towards progress as well.