Virginia State University Reviews

1,119 reviews
I love this campus. Both of my parents attended this school. In a way, this school is like home to me.
This is my first week and I have enjoyed meeting my roommate and teachers. Everyone has been very helpful in helping me transition into the college life. I look forward to my years there and learning.
I loved the campus, everything was in such a good walking distance. The new dining hall was very nice and spacious. Only 4 stars because some of the dorms are very old, which is expected but they need serious renivations. Everything else was great and I can't wait to start my college expirence.
Review Virginia State University
Virginia State University is a great school to attend. You learn so many things just being on the campus. The people here make you feel like you belong, like you're right at home. You will receive the best education possible.
Virginia State Universty was a great academic institution but overall was an average historically black university. I personally felt that the school was going through a rebuilding process and honestly, I prefer a college that had a little more diversity and better activities on campus. I do believe Virginia State has a potential to be an outstanding university but they need some improvement.
Overall this University is robust in helping lead students on a clear path of finding themselves, as all universities should. The uniqueness of this particular university's culture is ineffable. The staff at this University are very helpful on ensuring that all students strive for excellence and put their best foot forward in the face of failure. This University provides remarkable academic services that can allow students to excel greatly in their desired profession. The location could not be better, eateries, pharmacies, and entertainment are all in a fitting distance away from campus and is suitable for walking. Taxi services are provided in the area so if walking is not your forte you do have an alternative.
My experience with Virginia State didn't go so well. For starters make sure you apply early as possible. As freshman you first hundred students who have applied early get into the newer dorms. If you don't you get placed in older dorms, I was placed in an older dorm. It had a dead cockroach just waiting for me . The room was small and the a/c units are built in the window so there is a possible chances of bugs seeping through. The food was ok, not a big fan but its food that'll get you by.
Most professors are really nice and lenient and help you on whatever. On to the campus life and party scene, its really live. Whenever there is an event a lot of students show and participate in the festivities. Overall my experience at VSU was ok, if you're planning on attending I recommend applying early so you won't have to worry about the dorm choice.
Virginia State is a superb school however it has it's fights. The organization is frequently discourteous on occasion and a few laborers (cafeteria for the most part) are past impolite now and again. The school is minimal a long ways behind in innovation yet most little hbcu's are on occasion. Virginia state is the thing that you make it, it's amidst no where. The school makes up the city, so you need to discover things to do. It doesn't offer you much and that is the reason I say you make the VSU encounter how you need it. General it's a truly decent school and little school.
My time at Virginia State University was nothing short of a positive experience. VSU is a HBCU that took pride in academics and life changing organizations. I joined the cheerleading team as a freshman and those 4 years of multitasking between being a full time student and athlete prepared me for hard challenges in the real world. I am honored to have graduated honors from such a prestigious college. I built such strong and amazing relationships with the staff and student body that have brought me far in my journey to now farthing my education. VSU is now growing and I am excited and looking forward to the day where I am able to give back.
People are really friendly, helpful, and supportive. The school is a relaxing place more than a party center. Doesn't offer a lot of diversity academically but it has a diverse staff. Education is pretty good and helpful.
I love Virginia State, it is one of the best HBCU's that you could attend. Out of state tuition plays a big part in college. If you're out of state and went to, not only a D1/D2 college, but an HBCU, you would know exactly how it feels. I am my mothers only child, and this college year out of her pocket she paid at least $20,000. She had set up a payment plan to make different payments to pay for me to attend. 1,000 could help a kid more than you think. I come from a neighborhood, called North Philadelphia, where most kids are dead or in jail, but I'm out here at Virginia State with a GPA of a 3.067, and can't get a $1. I have peers that have a GPA of a 2.5 that are in state, and still don't have to pay a dime. 3,000 could help my mom a lot, that's 1,000 more dollars in her pocket. My mom is a employed single parent with a household of just herself, while I'm currently in college.
Virginia State is an okay school. The party, greek and social aspect is what you make of it basically. Academically wise it is a pretty good school. If you want your college experience here to be fun and rewarding you have to participate a lot
Many people here are extremely caring. I am 12 hours away from home and my friends and teachers make Virginia State feel like home. However, I would like to see more communication between departments. As a result of lack of communication I lost majority of a scholarship for simply changing my major and wasn't informed until 2 month into my second semester of freshman year.
My stay at Virginia State is a wonderful school,besides the outer limits of the campus.On campus is a lively atmosphere of different students.
Virginia State University is nice mellow campus that is located in Petersburg,VA. The campus is very spacious and quiet. The college is a HBCU but has little bit of Diversity. The class sizes are medium sized (15-20 students) and spacious as well. So far as Academics goes it depends on your major to tell how your academics well go. I'm a Freshman Computer Engineering Major and my class is quite challenging. Campus food is ok, different food each day with everyday pizza and salad bar. What's around the campus isn't really much there is a cook out 7 min away (if driving). There is a shuttle that is provided by the campus every Thursday - Sunday that will take you to the shopping center where there is a Walmart and a Mall.
Virginia State is a all around decent school. Just like every university it has its ups and downs. The ups are the university student life is amazing. There are numerous clubs, group, and activities to participate in as a student. The academics are decent as well, although there a limited majors available for undergraduate, you still will learn a lot during the 4 years. Now the down side to the school includes the cafe and the surrounding area. You pay a lot of money for meals and they give you a kids portion. For example they'll only give you say one pancake and 2 pieces of bacon or they only let you get one meat on a sandwich and will only you one - two slices of that one meat. The other down side to this school is the area of petersburg and colonial heights. There isn't a lot to do in the surrounding area so you might end up being bored if your not involved with any student life. All in all i would say Virginia state university is a 3/5 star school.
VSU is actually a really good school. It a lot of times is criticized for things that happened years ago. But the school has majorly improved. Campus life is fun, you'll definitely enjoy your time there.
Review Virginia State University
This school is amazing except the variety in the dining hall. Campus life is humble but very fun out here if you make it. Most of the people who say bad things came here with the mindset to transfer. College is what you make it.
As a prospective student years ago, I did not enjoy my experience at the student orientation. That experience ultimately persuaded me to attend another university. The surrounding area a few years ago was basically just abandoned buildings and many of the buildings on campus needed a great deal of renovation.
I enjoy the family oriented atmosphere that is among the campus from the professors to the workers in the dining halls.