Virginia Commonwealth University Reviews

3,976 reviews
Second year here and loving it! Dorms range from average to excellent depending on where you choose, with the new GRC dorm being the most wanted dorm now. Finally done with Monroe Park so its open to students/the public again. On campus food isn't too great and there are only limited options for swipes. Don't recommend a meal plan, enjoy Richmond's gold mines of restaurants. Very city
It is a good school. The food option are nice. It is too expensive. I have to pay for college on my own and I am working all the time and barely scraping by. The professors are nice. GRC is cool.
VCU prioritizes student experience and safety. The classes chosen for our programs are designed not only to expand our thinking, but to also provide real world skills needed to find a career.
Start Your Review of Virginia Commonwealth University
Their campus is beautiful and the area is so unique! When I went on the college tour I was amazed by the building and the smiles on the students faces. The campus was diverse and I felt right at home. Virginia Commonwealth University is my #1 school because it has an outstanding criminal justice program and the student life is fun.
Virginia Commonwealth University is a great school for someone who is unsure of what they want to do. It places them in an enviroment filled with chances and opportunity.
VCU is a great place if you're passionate about progressive issues, the arts, or changing the world. I really have never met more people who want to fix our world than the amount that I've met at VCU. That being said though, the dorms and the food are both pretty rough. Both are better than they were my freshman year, but they're still not up to par with the amount of money you pay for them. Overall the professors I've had have all been good, and they all seem to genuinely care about their students and making sure you're learning. The city environment really shapes the atmosphere of the campus, with a majority of the 30,000 undergrads being students who commute. This means that the overall feel of a "student body" is lacking.
Virginia Commonwealth University was such a great experience for me. The nursing school is outstanding and one day i hope to become a RN graduate from VCU.
I love Virginia Commonwealth University because it’s a very diverse college and has the best physical therapy program and which I plan to enroll! The dorms are very nice and the professors are amazing. I love going to class because my professors really engage themselves with the students to help them become better.
Overall the academics have impressed me but the lack of consistency in communication among the administration can be frustrating.
I like how diverse and inclusive my campus is. The only think I really feel needs to be changed are the safety policies. Be reminded that this campus is in the city. Also we lack a football team BUT our basketball program is top-notch.
I love the diversity of this school, I feel like anyone can find there place here. It is a very supportive and friendly environment. I also enjoy that it's in the city, there is always something to do no matter what you're interested in.
I love the area. Getting to and from classes is easy and transportation is accessible. The atmosphere that is created by peers and professors allows the learning experience to be fluid and done with ease.
VCU is a great school to attend. The students and staff are very accepting and helpful. There are so many resources, clubs and activities to keep you busy. All of the classes I have taken so far have been wonderful and actually useful.
It is a very diverse campus, filled with accepting faculty and professors. The buildings are generally well kept and modern, but the university continues to buy extra building spaces and spend money flagrantly towards non-essential student needs, which isn't preferred.
Faculty was not as helpful as I would have liked them to be. The school is right in the middle of the city, which made me feel unsafe walking around campus at night. But the artwork in the city was beautiful.
If you are looking for a university with a wide selection of programs, good professors, great atmosphere, then VCU is just for you!
The faculty is lacking when it comes to trying to get things done (asking questions and trying to get answers from various departments). I was a transfer student and I had an exceedingly difficult time trying to get simple things done.
Start Your Review of Virginia Commonwealth University
Virginia Commonwealth University is such a fantastic school. The professors care about you and work with you to become successful in and out of class. The dorms are clean and nice, they're a ton of food options, and the students are nice and friendly. The only negative thing I have to say about this university is that it is a bit sketchy at night. Since there are a lot of homeless people in the Richmond area, you have to be careful if you go out at night.
I like the diversity and how there are many places to go within walking distance. Most professors I’ve had have been very nice and willing to help you succeed, as long as you want to help yourself. Overall, it’s a great experience.
The fact is that this school advertises itself as something which it simply isn't. It tries to market itself as a "top-tier public research university" when it is anything but that. The "main campus" is literally just 4 buildings: the library, the gym, the commons, and the cafeteria. All of the other buildings are where classes are held - but most of them are old and moldy. Everything is constantly under construction. The education is hit or miss. It varies greatly by department and is always more difficult than it needs to be because of the lack of faculty organization. Parking is awful and expensive. Tuition rises by $700-$1000 every year. The dining plan has very limited food options. Housing is very hard to find on AND off campus. The crime rate is high and you'll get daily e-mails about a shooting, armed robbery, burglary, sexual assault, etc. happening on campus. Pretty much all parts of the city with the exception of the fan and the compass are unsafe.